Vancouver is THE most kid friendly city on earth

FattyGwynn

We have a family home in Vancouver and have been taking our daughters there since before they were one year old, they are now almost seven (twins). Vancouver is, bar none, THE most kid friendly city in the entire world. There are parks and playgrounds everywhere. There are countless places to go and things to see: The Vancouver Aquarium, Granville Island (especially The Kid's Market, which is absolute heaven for any kid age 2-8), Vancouver Science World (both Granville Island and Science World are accessible by water taxi's (False Creek Ferries or the Aquabus--which are a MUST DO), Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park.....I could go on and on, and over the next year and a half, I probably will. But I wanted to post this to strongly encourage anyone who is taking kids with them on the Alaska cruise to seriously consider spending an extra day or two before and/or after the cruise in Vancouver. It is just the most amazing city for kids to enjoy.

PLEASE do your family a favor and spend some time in Vancouver. You will all love it.

Thanks for sharing all that information. I'm sure as more people book the Alaskan cruise they will love to hear all about Vancouver. Most love to arrive a day or two before the cruise and explore the area.

You sound like you should be a tour guide.;)

That was so nice of you to share,

Kathy

I truly could go on and on for numerous pages. It is a fantastic city. Plus, much of what is available to do is free: The water park on Granville Island, Stanley Park, the World Championship of Fireworks (a MUST SEE if you are there at the end of July/beginning of August), Canada Day parades (several locations throughout the city on July 1st), etc.

If your children are ages 10+, or if you are going without children, there is a FANTASTIC Shakespear festival that runs all Summer long called Bard on the Beach, that offers the most spectacular natural stage backdrop that you will ever see.

The Summer is full of great festivals and events: the Dragon Boat Races, the fireworks competition, the Vancouver Jazz Festival, etc.....all of which have at least some portions available for free.

I'm really more than happy to provide any suggestions or respond to any questions that anyone might have about this incredible city.

We have a family home in Vancouver and have been taking our daughters there since before they were one year old, they are now almost seven (twins). Vancouver is, bar none, THE most kid friendly city in the entire world. There are parks and playgrounds everywhere. There are countless places to go and things to see: The Vancouver Aquarium, Granville Island (especially The Kid's Market, which is absolute heaven for any kid age 2-8), Vancouver Science World (both Granville Island and Science World are accessible by water taxi's (False Creek Ferries or the Aquabus--which are a MUST DO), Grouse Mountain, Stanley Park.....I could go on and on, and over the next year and a half, I probably will. But I wanted to post this to strongly encourage anyone who is taking kids with them on the Alaska cruise to seriously consider spending an extra day or two before and/or after the cruise in Vancouver. It is just the most amazing city for kids to enjoy.

PLEASE do your family a favor and spend some time in Vancouver. You will all love it.

We were in the downtown area near the Sutton Place and didn't go to any of the places you listed but I wasn't impressed with the downtown area.

Bill

Fatty Gwen, I hate calling you that! We have never been to Vancouver and need the names of some hotels near the cruise port. We are a family of 7 and would like to stay a day or 2 before cruising. I have only heard how nice that city is! How far is the airport from the port? We will probably hire a van for pick-up. I think Disney's transfers are over priced. Will watch for more of your suggestions. Judy

Fatty Gwen, I hate calling you that! We have never been to Vancouver and need the names of some hotels near the cruise port. We are a family of 7 and would like to stay a day or 2 before cruising. I have only heard how nice that city is! How far is the airport from the port? We will probably hire a van for pick-up. I think Disney's transfers are over priced. Will watch for more of your suggestions. Judy

Is Disney using the Ballyntine pier or Canada Place?

Bill

The Pan Pacific is, indeed, a terrific hotel. I'm not sure what your price constraints may be, and you may have to get several rooms to fit in your group of 7. There are dozens of great hotels throughout Vancouver.

As for the Disney transportation, their chrage is ridiculous when you realize that the newly opened Canada Line runs directly from the airport (the station is right outside the international arrival exit--closer than any bus or van would be) and in 22 minutes you will be right next to the Canada Place pier. And get this, the weekend rate is only $1.75 per person.

Personally, I would recommend staying at the Opus Hotel in Yaletown (which is right across the street from the Yaletown Canada Line station). There are tons of great restaurants in Yaletown and you can walk about 2 blocks to the water taxi stop and be taken to Granville Island or to Science World. Also, there is a terrific bike shop right there (I think it's called Reckless Bikes), and you can rent bikes for the day to ride along the seawall all the way over to and around Stanley Park (stopping off at the Aquarium if you have time and the desire).

In this month's issue of National Geographic Traveler magazine, it lists the Top 50 places to see in your lifetime. The City of Vancouver was listed in the Top 50 and had a nice one page article about this great city.

Archived