Reggae Beach Review

kk70ship

We were at Reggae Beach three weeks ago and it was one of the best days of our cruise. We took a cab from the terminal - we were a group of 9 and after some negotiating with the driver, he charged us $3 each round trip, which we thought was a fair deal. It was about a 10 minute ride from the ship. We paid a $9.50 entrance fee pp, which included a chair and a welcome drink.

When we stepped onto the beach and saw how beautiful it was, we were really happy we decided to go there. The beach was huge with areas of thick palm and almond (I think!) trees that made little shady coves along the waters edge. There were also areas with no trees for people who wanted to suntan. (We chose the chairs under the trees as we had kids with us.) The water was warm and clear, and at a certain point, we pulled our chairs right into the water and just sat there like we were in a swimming pool! The kids had snorkel equipment with them so they were in the water most of the time looking at the fish - and there were some there!

There was nice music playing, reggae and other, that created a really fun and relaxing Caribbean atmosphere. There were really great servers there who were attentive but not pushy - they came by every so often asking if we needed food, drinks or anything else. They had a very large round bamboo bar that served really great drinks and the bartender was hilarious.

We decided to eat lunch there. You could choose food from the regular menu and pay for each individual item or take the $18 special, which included an appetizer, main course and drinks - we decided on the special. The food was delicious - jerk chicken, crusted fish, fresh shrimp and lobster that was just caught that morning, thai noodles, creamy jerk pasta, jasmine rice, vegetable curry and more! - I can't remember everything we ate, but because we were a large group, we had a chance to sample most of the menu! Our sever told us the chef was one of the best in Jamaica and you could really see it from the food - very tasty, even for the kids, fresh, and definitely not the usual "rice and peas" everyone in the islands seems to serve!

Our driver came back for us at 2:00pm on the dot like we asked and brought us back to the ship safe and sound. All in all, we paid about $30 pp - cheaper than a tour, but with the same amount of fun, comfort and security. You could get by with less if you don't take the $18 lunch special, but it was so good I would think about it carefully!

thanks so much for the info!

we are looking at something to do when we are in port in April.

I have considered this as part of Marva's tour that she has on her site...and it stops at reggae beach.

thanks for the great info...now i really think i want to book it!

Archived