Marigot to Maho and back to Philipsburg? Help needed!

Fjumpo

Greetings all!

We're visiting St Maarten in just 21 days with Liberty of the Seas and are trying to figure out how to spend our day, but need some help/suggestions. We would like to visit Marigot and Maho Beach. Maybe also Philipsburg for some additional shopping if there's time left at the end of the day.

Our plan right now is to head for Marigot as soon as the ship docks at 9 am. After doing some searching around here, a cab seems to cost $15 for the two of us and the bus a dollar each. Are those costs still accurate? Also, how long will the trip to Marigot take in either a cab or with the bus? To catch the bus, I guess we would have to make it to central Philipsburg from the ship, correct?

From what I understand, the shops in Marigot closes at noon, so therefore we figure we head down to Maho Beach by then to hopefully catch a plane or two landing. How long would it take us to get down to Maho from Marigot, using either local bus or a cab? Are cabs easy to get in Marigot? And what would the cost be for this trip with bus or cab?

Finally, going back to either the ship or Philipsburg after watching the planes. A cab from the ship to Maho Beach seems to be $16 for two people, so I guess the other way around would be about the same. Any buses to catch from Maho to Philipsburg for a dollar or two? Estimated travel time for this route with either cab or bus?

Ships leaves at 6 pm, and we're planning to leave Maho at around 2.30 pm when the big planes have arrived. Would this leave us with any time left in Philipsburg for some shopping along Front Street? Water taxi back to the ship, or is the ship within walking distance?

Ok, quite a few questions in there. Hopefully any of you can help us out a bit. Also, any suggestions or ideas for this little trip around the island would be much appreciated. :)

Greetings all!

We're visiting St Maarten in just 21 days with Liberty of the Seas and are trying to figure out how to spend our day, but need some help/suggestions. We would like to visit Marigot and Maho Beach. Maybe also Philipsburg for some additional shopping if there's time left at the end of the day.

Our plan right now is to head for Marigot as soon as the ship docks at 9 am. After doing some searching around here, a cab seems to cost $15 for the two of us and the bus a dollar each. Are those costs still accurate? Also, how long will the trip to Marigot take in either a cab or with the bus? To catch the bus, I guess we would have to make it to central Philipsburg from the ship, correct?

From what I understand, the shops in Marigot closes at noon, so therefore we figure we head down to Maho Beach by then to hopefully catch a plane or two landing. How long would it take us to get down to Maho from Marigot, using either local bus or a cab? Are cabs easy to get in Marigot? And what would the cost be for this trip with bus or cab?

Finally, going back to either the ship or Philipsburg after watching the planes. A cab from the ship to Maho Beach seems to be $16 for two people, so I guess the other way around would be about the same. Any buses to catch from Maho to Philipsburg for a dollar or two? Estimated travel time for this route with either cab or bus?

Ships leaves at 6 pm, and we're planning to leave Maho at around 2.30 pm when the big planes have arrived. Would this leave us with any time left in Philipsburg for some shopping along Front Street? Water taxi back to the ship, or is the ship within walking distance?

Ok, quite a few questions in there. Hopefully any of you can help us out a bit. Also, any suggestions or ideas for this little trip around the island would be much appreciated. :)

I was just in St. Maarten recently on the same cruise you are going on. Therefore, I have first hand experience.

My take on this is to FORGET the cab and bus and rent a car. It will be a million times better than trying to chase a bus or a cab and save a LOT of time. If you are interested in this option I will be glad to spend time and write up some additional details.

I was just in St. Maarten recently on the same cruise you are going on. Therefore, I have first hand experience.

My take on this is to FORGET the cab and bus and rent a car. It will be a million times better than trying to chase a bus or a cab and save a LOT of time. If you are interested in this option I will be glad to spend time and write up some additional details.

Rental, 'ey? ;)

That's actually something I haven't given much thought really. Mostly because I'm not sure how comfortable I would be driving around there. And also because I think I've pictured myself being driven around and sippin' on a drink or two... :p But sure, I would love to hear a bit more about this. What would the costs be for two people? Is it easy to drive around? In what conditions are the roads? Everything you have, please let me know, but only if you got the time. :) Thanks!!

Rental, 'ey? ;)

That's actually something I haven't given much thought really. Mostly because I'm not sure how comfortable I would be driving around there. And also because I think I've pictured myself being driven around and sippin' on a drink or two... :p But sure, I would love to hear a bit more about this. What would the costs be for two people? Is it easy to drive around? In what conditions are the roads? Everything you have, please let me know, but only if you got the time. :) Thanks!!

Will you be exploring the island alone? Or will there be others with you?

So do both of you wish to sip gin and juice? One of you guys have to be sober driving on the island. Is this possible? lol

Sober? What?! That's impossible!! :p

No, seriously... If I am about to drive, I wouldn't touch anything. Not even the night before. No worries there.

Sober? What?! That's impossible!! :p

No, seriously... If I am about to drive, I wouldn't touch anything. Not even the night before. No worries there.

Okay then. We have been to St. Maarten twice. The first time we went on a tour which was cool and everything but it was so MUCH BETTER to do things on our own. We rented a car from Arthur's Car Rental.

http://arthurscarrental.com/

There are other rental places at the pier and Arthur's is just outside the gate. His rate were very reasonable and the service was excellent. You can shoot him an email for info at the link above.

We got the car immediately when we got off the ship. Drove to the Butterfly Farm. Then off to Marigot and then to Maho Beach and saw the big birds fly to the airport. It was awesome. And so very easy! Arthur gave us a map of the island and just follow the road and signs. Just make certain you watch your timing so you can return to the car rental in plenty of time to make your ship. We left maho beach at 3pm and got back in plenty of time.

I wish we rented the car during our first visit. We will go back and do the same thing. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Okay then. We have been to St. Maarten twice. The first time we went on a tour which was cool and everything but it was so MUCH BETTER to do things on our own. We rented a car from Arthur's Car Rental.

http://arthurscarrental.com/

There are other rental places at the pier and Arthur's is just outside the gate. His rate were very reasonable and the service was excellent. You can shoot him an email for info at the link above.

We got the car immediately when we got off the ship. Drove to the Butterfly Farm. Then off to Marigot and then to Maho Beach and saw the big birds fly to the airport. It was awesome. And so very easy! Arthur gave us a map of the island and just follow the road and signs. Just make certain you watch your timing so you can return to the car rental in plenty of time to make your ship. We left maho beach at 3pm and got back in plenty of time.

I wish we rented the car during our first visit. We will go back and do the same thing. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for the information! What was the traffic like? Any crazy driving going on among the locals? :p

Also, how long did it take for you to drive from Marigot down to Maho Beach?

Thanks!

Just last week I drove from Marigot to Maho Beach. We stopped by Mullet Bay on the way there. But I would guess between 10 to 15 minutes.

Alright, that drive is nothing to speak of then. :)

What would it take for us to drive (or for the cab driver to drive us, if we chicken out on the rental thing :p) from the ship up to Marigot?

Also, what are the gas prices like on the island?

Me and my many questions... :rolleyes:

We drove to Orient beach first (then Grand Case, Marigot, Maho and back to town), so I don't know how far it is from the port, to Marigot. I did fill up back in town, and I spent $16 on gas for our rental minivan. I was surprised how short the drive was to each destination. By the time we loaded into the van, it was only a few minutes until we were at the next destination.

Looks like you got answers to all your questions. Will you be renting a car? :D

Haven't decided yet actually, gotta check with my travel partner first. (Figured it would be a nice thing to do...;)) But hey, it seems like a really good option instead of the buses or cabs!! Let's see if I can convince him. We're actually heading to the U.S. in just a few days, starting of with a road trip around the south west. So come St Maarten, we should be pretty used to the rental thing. :p Again, thanks for your input! :)

I made this drive during the week that we were in St. Martin this summer. As has been pointed out, the drive is not bad. However, if you are drinking and enjoying the scenery, better get a taxi.

Once you figure out that there is only one main road on the island and it circles the entire island going through the major attractions, you will be fine. It is not a bad road, though it is fairly narrow with lots of twists and turns. Each of the sites you listed are along this main road, so you just need to pick the direction you want to head out. Traffic is slow along most, if not all of the drive, especially during rush hours. Just don't plan on driving 70, 60 or even 50 anywhere.

The only place you can open it up, say to 45 mph or so, is on the Northern section, between Grand Case and Mont Vernon. All road signs are in KPH, so 45(KPH) is not that hot, only 30 mph or so. Especially with the lawn motor on steroids that most of the rental cars have as engines. Nothing like an ATOS for thrills. B-z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z. :D

Archived