Now that your big pack of soda is onboard...

Fjumpo

So I notice a lot of posts here about bringing your own soda onboard, and it seems as though "everybody" is doing it. My question is - where do you all actually drink it? Do you just drink it in your cabin with room service food? Out on pool deck? In the WJ? Even in the MDR?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm leaving with the Liberty of the Seas in 17 days, and thinking about bringing a 12-pack or so of Coke onboard. But are there any places on the ship where it's considered less OK to bring and drink your own soda? Personally, I wouldn't feel very comfortable with bringning a can or two of soda in to the MDR, but maybe people do this all the time?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

We have ALWAYS brought our own sodas on board. I don't carry a can around, I usually put it in an insulated cup so it stays nice and cold. (available in the ships stores) I've never brought it to the MDR, and like you wouldn't feel comfortable doing that. I'm not a soda junkie, but it's nice to have in the room for convenience. I also bring snack food for the kids, etc.....

It's in the same category as wearing jeans or shorts to dinner -- no one's going to point it out, but it isn't really good manners to arrive at a formal dinner dragging along your half-consumed beverage. A lovely, carefully planned formal meal should begin with a fresh beverage in a fresh glass.

I was taught that when I was a child -- multiple times, multiple places -- and it's in my 12-year old's Cotillion handbook. You can argue that you don't care about ettiquette or that you believe good manners are too old-fashioned to matter, but you can't argue that this particular rule isn't considered proper behavior in polite society. It falls into the category of putting your napkin in your lap after your hostess does, using the proper silverware, choosing a wine appropriate to the main dish, etc.

Way to miss the point, OceanBoy! When you're going to a formal meal, you don't serve yourself. Bringing your own drink in is doing just that. Dinner guests aren't supposed to carry food around the dining room.

<snip>

IMO, a lovely, carefully planned formal meal also should not include wait staff who are required to sing and dance or pirates running around the formal dining room with a photographer, but that's just me.

I never said, wrote, or argued that I think etiquette doesn't matter or that good manners are old fashioned. Surely you were using the general "you" and not making a statement about me specifically because you don't know me and have no idea what I do or don't think about the subject. The only thing you know is that I do not find it improper for cruise ship passengers to bring their pre-dinner beverages with them to dinner. There are places and situations where it is not appropriate, IMO, but a cruise ship is not one of them.

(BTW, the mere fact someone or a book says so doesn't make something a "rule" in "polite society.")

beachchick

OK, as I mentioned on another thread, I am a serious diet coke addict. I did buy the soda package for this cruise. However, I am planning on bringing some canned diet cokes with me too! No, I will not be taking one to the dining room, but I usually drink water and/or a cocktail with supper.

Yes, this is a vacation to most who've paid a good bit of their money for. But, on vacation, isn't it fair to want your drink of choice? I don't think its a luxury to suffer through either a drink you don't like (for those who's drink of choice isn't available) or to not have access to the type of drink you want.

I sometimes want a diet coke in the middle of the night. Also I have found that most places serving fountain coke outside of the south don't do it right! So my definition of luxury doesn't include roaming the ship in the middle of the night searching for whatever is open only to get a watered-down version of what I wanted.

Archived