what time is best for tickets to Colosseum

kjames

We are flying into Rome (1 day pre cruise/2 day post cruise) @ 8:30am. Would like to visit the Colosseum that day but not sure if we should reserve our tickets in advance and what time? This will be the end of Oct. so thought maybe the lines would not be as long. Do you think we sould book ahead or take our chances?

Thanks for your help! First time to Rome so feel a little lost even though I have my guide books in hand and have read TONS on CC which has been a lifesaver!

I bought our tickets online in advance, but I don't recall that I had to specify any particular time. We just showed up and they scanned them and let us in. Perhaps there's more than one way to buy in advance? I thought I used their official website. The ticket is good all day for the Forum and Colliseum and you can do them in any order, so I don't think they restrict the timing. I guess it could have changed, but this was in July of this year.

If you have a Roma Pass or purchase your tickets at the Palatine Hill or Forum entrance you do not have to wait in line at the Colosseo... just walk directly in. The tickets are also good for two days, one entry into each of the three gates (Colosseo, Palatine or Forum). so you can come back the next day if you like. There's no need to buy in advance and pay the extra fee - especially in October!

If you attempt to buy tickets at the Colosseo, you WILL almost always have a line, at minimum 15-20 minutes... so don't plan on buying your tickets there. This link has info on other discounted tickets, but page down to the bottom and it tells how to "get around" the lines (and waiting) at the Colosseo: CLICK HERE!

Archived