Not Your Daughter's Jeans

Occy

thx. alot ......... will pop down next Friday and try on a few pair. I know exactly where the stores are and funny enough they had an advertisement in our local paper this week, not for the jeans, but for fall fashion.

I'll let you know how I like them when I eventually get them & thx. again for your help.

P.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my early 40's and all of my friends agree that clothes, esp. jeans are so hard to find. We want to look trendy, but would like a zipper in the front to be longer than 2 inches! Also, what is the deal with the gap in the back of jeans? And please do not tell me to "just wear a belt" like the 17 year old salesperson says. Finally, I did try on Not Your Daughter's Jeans 2 weeks ago. In fact, I tried on LOTS of jeans in various styles and brands. I did not favor the NYDJ line. I my opinion, they are very spandex-like and, well, kinda mother-of-the-bride-ish. They can contain 2-3% of spandex which explains that buy a size smaller reasoning. I DID find a brand I loved. BootHeel by Sheryl Crow. I am tall and slender but have a round booty. Her line has 3 body-types to choose from, just look at the sign, figure out if you are a white, blue or red, grab a bunch of jeans with that color print inside the waistband and get ready to find jeans that fit, happiness! These jeans fit me very well, look very trendy but actually cover my kinda-soft belly and they do not gap in the back. You will find they run just under $70, so price is around 20% or more lower than NYDJ.

Tried some on today, in the Butter dark wash which is very soft and comfortable. They really do work, I didn't recognize my lower half when I looked in the mirror, it looked so slim and lifted! I definitely recommend them, and they are much cheaper on ebay than in the stores!

Real Simple magazine recently had a great article on different styles of jeans for different shapes and in a range of prices. I might have to take it along the next time I'm jean shopping. Been seeing lot of ads for the NYDJ's and would love to try them. Two years my friend threw a pair of Joe's Jeans into the dressing room and convinced me to try them even though they are more expensive. They are now my FAV jeans but too distressed for some places.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a pair this week at Nordstrom's Rack. They were originally $80, but only $32 at The Rack!

I have a bit of a J-Lo booty so it's hard to find jeans that fit. These actually fit really well. They have flat/hidden back pockets like trousers, so there isn't any extra bulk. I'm 5'7" and they are LONG on me. They're perfect with heels, but I couldn't wear them with any flats. They're a nice, dressy denim for going out. I wear my Lucky brand jeans for everyday.

Jeans are the one item I'd never buy online, even the same name brand and style can vary in fit from one pair to another.

I have 2 pair of NYDJ, one long and one cropped, both were purchased on sale at Nordstroms and I don't recall the price. I purchased them because I like the fit on me, more than the label on the inside. I have other brands of jeans, some fit even better than NYDJ.

A well fitting pair of jeans can make a not so great figure so much better, but the opposite is also true. I see so many women wearing jeans that are too tight, too long, pockets too large for their rear end, too short, too tight in the thigh, too low, too high, etc... You have to wonder if they looked in a 3-way mirror before they bought them, regardless of the label.

Edit to add, I have also learned the hard way to never buy shoes online, either. My feet are just as hard to fit as a pair of jeans!

I tried on several styles and sizes. I am hippy and they did not accomodate my curves or look flattering.

For curvy women, I recommend Bill Blass or Gloria Vanderbilt.

I like the Gloria Vanderbilt "Amanda." That works for older women who are thick around the middle, but do not have much hip wise- but I don't consider them a nice jean-they are a bop around jean.

I have a bit of a J-Lo booty so it's hard to find jeans that fit. These actually fit really well. They have flat/hidden back pockets like trousers, so there isn't any extra bulk. I'm 5'7" and they are LONG on me. They're perfect with heels, but I couldn't wear them with any flats. They're a nice, dressy denim for going out. I wear my Lucky brand jeans for everyday.

NMDJ come in different lengths depending on the style. The 5 pocket bootleg, for example is available in a 31" length or a 33" length. I'm 5'6", and size 4 in NMDJ and wear the 33" length.

I don't know how anyone can buy jeans online, because like Happy K's says, each pair fits differently. Maybe she and I are just too picky about fit? :)I usually try on 4-6 paris of the exact size and style I like before finding the ones I like. Also, online stores don't tell you which length you're buying, which is why so many people have varying comments about the length of NYDJ.

I haven't tried the NYDJ's yet, but I fell in love with the Coldwater Creek knit denim jeans. They are by far the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn. They are so soft, easy to pack and hold up so nicely that it's hard to even think about wearing any other type of jeans. I feel like I'm wearing my pj's all day when I wear them. I get ton's on compliments on them. LOVE EM!

Archived