B2B and Touring San Juan

I am taking a B2B cruise that leaves out of San Juan. In between sailings, I will be in San Juan for the day. I would really like to tour the fort and Old San Juan. Has anyone taken a B2B and know how we might go about getting on and off the ship to tour for the day? What happens to our luggage, etc...?

I am taking a B2B cruise that leaves out of San Juan. In between sailings, I will be in San Juan for the day. I would really like to tour the fort and Old San Juan. Has anyone taken a B2B and know how we might go about getting on and off the ship to tour for the day? What happens to our luggage, etc...?

If you have the same cabin for both cruises your luggage will not be an issue at the end of the first cruise because you will not be moving, so nothing has to be packed up.

I am assuming that you have talked with the b2b desk so that both cruises are linked together. Having them linked will allow the ship to transfer all of your information from the first cruise over to the second cruise including credit card information plus photo ID. You will receive new SeaPass cards for the second cruise prior to the end of the first cruise as there will most probably be a meeting for all those consecutive cruises giving you instructions on what to expect on turnaround day.

Since each cruise is handled independently, at the end of your first cruise your SeaPass account will be closed and a new account will be started for the second cruise.

We have done many b2b's (aka consecutive cruises) and have found that each ship and port handles turnaround day differently. We have had to get off and go through customs and immigration and then we have not had to. So be prepared for anything.

They try to make turnaround day as painless as possible and allowing you enough time so that if you want to disembark the ship and explore the port on your own you can. You may even receive an "in transit" card so that when you want to return to the ship you can avoid the long check in lines and just board the ship.

We are doing a b2b on Serenade....April 10th and 17th so I can let you know how things went for us.

BTW........it is a wonderful way to celebrate your wedding anniversary. Congratulations early.

I have done 2 back to back's out of San Juan, and I will be doing another this coming March. On turnaround day, we usually get off the ship and spend most of the day in Old San Juan. You will be issued an 'In Transit" pass which will allow you on and off access all day without having to wait in lines etc :)

I have done 2 back to back's out of San Juan, and I will be doing another this coming March. On turnaround day, we usually get off the ship and spend most of the day in Old San Juan. You will be issued an 'In Transit" pass which will allow you on and off access all day without having to wait in lines etc :)

Thank you for the info. We are doing a b2b next April and the last b2b we did was in 2002 on the Adventure and it was a real mess.

Please tell me they have gotten their act together and things have changed for the better in the last 8 years.:D

For a Great Tour: OSJ Segway Tour is A+++. Limited to 6 per guide. There were 4 of us and no others so we had our own private tour.

We checked in Early, Went on Segway Tour, Then explored the rest of OSJ on foot, had plenty of time to make it back to dinner on the ship. (1st port was St Thomas, We didn't sail til 10:00PM)

www.segwaytourspr.com

n51xt3.jpg

2wcdzdc.jpg

Thanks so much for the helpful information! I am liking the idea of the Segway tours! Maybe I can convince DH to do that!

It is good to know that they have their act together so we will able to enjoy our in-between day and not have to be stressed with a bunch of hassle.

I will be curious as to what the experience is of others who have a B2B booked on the Serenade! Be sure to let me know!

Thanks so much for the helpful information! I am liking the idea of the Segway tours! Maybe I can convince DH to do that!

It is good to know that they have their act together so we will able to enjoy our in-between day and not have to be stressed with a bunch of hassle.

I will be curious as to what the experience is of others who have a B2B booked on the Serenade! Be sure to let me know!

I will report back to you after our b2b in April.

If you are doing a B2B out of San Juan you are more then likely leaveing from the PanAm pier.If you are going over to Old SJ you will have to take a taxi.If you take the cab over to pier 4 which is the dock in OSJ.A block or so to the left[as if you were coming off the pier]there is a stand there for a trolley to the forts and it is free,get off and on where you want.You can do the forts and then come back down and walk around OSJ.

If you want more info about OSJ go to the library and get the Frommers or Fordors book on Purto Rico.

If you are doing a B2B out of San Juan you are more then likely leaveing from the PanAm pier.If you are going over to Old SJ you will have to take a taxi.If you take the cab over to pier 4 which is the dock in OSJ.A block or so to the left[as if you were coming off the pier]there is a stand there for a trolley to the forts and it is free,get off and on where you want.You can do the forts and then come back down and walk around OSJ.

If you want more info about OSJ go to the library and get the Frommers or Fordors book on Purto Rico.

Thanks! This information is very helpful!

I can offer a suggestion of what NOT to do. We've been there a couple of times so felt it would be nice one day to rent a car and drive around to see the "real" people and the "real" life. Although we did see lots of nice scenery, away from the main tourist areas the roads were horrendous and our stress level was through the roof!! The roads are very windey in some places with only enough space for 1.5 cars to fit through and the locals drive a lot faster than we felt comfortable with. We survived but it was not enjoyable!!

I can offer a suggestion of what NOT to do. We've been there a couple of times so felt it would be nice one day to rent a car and drive around to see the "real" people and the "real" life. Although we did see lots of nice scenery, away from the main tourist areas the roads were horrendous and our stress level was through the roof!! The roads are very windey in some places with only enough space for 1.5 cars to fit through and the locals drive a lot faster than we felt comfortable with. We survived but it was not enjoyable!!

Yeah, after living in Bolivia for a summer, and visiting lots of Caribbean islands, I will leave the driving to the locals!!

Not interested in seeing Old San Juan on second Saturday but

am interested in taking tour to El Yunque. The tour says it leaves from the ship and ends at the airport.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this? Thanks.

am interested in taking tour to El Yunque. The tour says it leaves from the ship and ends at the airport.

If it's the tour being offered by the ship, to people that have a later flight and do not want to sit at the airport all afternoon, then you may not be able to sign up for it. That's the reason it ends at the airport.

I would call RCI and ask, but if they do allow you to sign up, you will have to get transportation back to the ship from the airport.

I would suggest looking for a private tour or taxi driver who will take you up there. If you do not have to fly out, it will probably be cheaper to do it on your own and not have to be rushed or worried about returning to the ship from the airport.

I did this tour a few years ago, but was staying overnight in San Juan. The tour guide asked who needed a ride to the hotel, we picked up our luggage that had been delivered to the airport and he dropped us all off at various hotels for a nominal fee (much cheaper than a taxi). I would imagine that bringing you back to the port wouldn't be too difficult, but worth calling and asking about.

Jen

It rains a lot in the Rainforest, Bring a Poncho. The scenery was very beautiful, but we spent more time in the bus than exploring the park. For many it is a must and I'm glad we went. As we had a late flight, it was far better than sitting at the airport. Our luggage was waiting on the curb when we arrived. If your in the middle of your B2B you would be leaving your luggage w/ the ship. As suggested above, I would call...

kb4rxc.jpg

35jz02f.jpg

It rains a lot in the Rainforest, Bring a Poncho. The scenery was very beautiful, but we spent more time in the bus than exploring the park. For many it is a must and I'm glad we went. As we had a late flight, it was far better than sitting at the airport. Our luggage was waiting on the curb when we arrived. If your in the middle of your B2B you would be leaving your luggage w/ the ship. As suggested above, I would call...

kb4rxc.jpg

35jz02f.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. It looks beautiful!

Thanks for the tips and advice. NP:)

Archived