As you wish dining and tipping...

dkratz

Ok, so DW and I are HAL newbies.

I have found the answers to all the questions I had on these boards [thanks to you great CC'ers]. :cool:

However, for her one and only question, I cannot find an answer [Alanis Morissette playing in the background].

On the previous two cruises we have been on, we did tipping on the last night of the cruise, via envelopes. It just seems more personal to hand over the money and tell the staff they did a great job, rather than have the money atuo-transfer.

Because DW and I have AYWD seating, what is the norm for tipping? At the table each night since the wait staff may change? Auto-draft?

Any insight is much appreciated!

From what I understand, and also everything I've read that others have posted, there are some distinct benefits to the autotipping.

With the Service Charge ($11/day per person), this covers the tips/gratuities for the waiters and maitre-d in the dining room, your room stewards and many other staff and crew that you don't get to meet, but who provide essential services, like laundry, cooks, cleaners, etc.

If you choose to remove the autotip feature and tip specific people, according to their contracts, they actually have to turn this money over to the general 'tip pool' and it gets split between all the staff that are covered by the auto tip/service charge... so in essence, you're not actually giving them anything they get to keep themselves.

If, on the other hand, you leave the auto-tip in place, and choose to give an additional tip for exceptional service (whether it's $5, $20 or $100 or any additional tip above the auto tip), then the person you give it to actually gets to keep it for themselves.

While I completely agree with you that it's far more personal to thank a person for the work they've done for you and to tip them directly, I also am pleased as punch that I don't have to worry about tracking people down on the last night of the cruise, or on the last morning, nor do I have to carry lots of cash for tips, etc. If someone goes above and beyond, I am sure we will want to thank them for their service, and give them an extra tip as a small thank you. Even with the auto tip in place, I also plan on thanking the people I've met for the work they've done during the cruise, even if I don't tip extra.

Also - another point that I've seen recommended by people on these boards if you want to recognize someone for exceptional service is to be sure to give that feedback to Holland America. I can't remember if there are comment cards left in rooms, or if you can fill something out at the front desk, but I do remember reading that things like promotions, salaries, etc. are based on feedback from customers, so recognizing someone for the good work they do can actually help them with the security of their job, and a good work record, and hopefully even moving up in positions over time.

Please note that any drinks you order in the bar, or at dinner, are charged a 15% service charge when you sign for the drink. Also any spa services are not covered by the auto tip, and most people seem to also tip a bit (or a lot) for room service delivery.

First of all, it's called open seating, not AYWD.

AYWD refers to ALL dining options on the ship, not just the open seating.

We had the open dining, eating at a different time/different wait staff every evening. We just let the auto tips take care of the tipping. Much easier that way.

The only time we tipped additionally was our room stewards at the end of our trip because they did such a great job for the entire time.

And the room service person that brought our breakfast to us every morning.

Enjoy your cruise!

Everyone, thanks for the notes.

Dandro, I stand corrected. Thanks for letting me know. Saves me from looking like a tool on the ship.

CowPrincess, thank you. I could not find that through the search option.

Jewel, good info, thanks. Can't wait to be on the Eurodam with you and your fam in 8 days!

Saves me from looking like a tool on the ship.

Pretty sure you wouldn't have looked like a "tool" on the ship because you used the term "as you wish dining". :) Lots of people (myself included) have used "open" and "as you wish" interchangeably until someone corrects us. I heard many, many cruisers on my last cruise saying "oh we have as you wish dining", and it seemed that everyone knew they were referring to open dining.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

Archived