??? Requesting Table

lmmn

We will be cruising on AOS in three weeks and would like to request a table for six. We have already requested a table 6-8, but would prefer not having table for eight. Does anyone know if I have to go through my travel agent to request this or should I call RCCL. Does anyone have a specific table # for six that they would recommend?

Go through your travel agent but don't hold your breath. We requested an 8 or more table and ended up sitting at a 4 top. We didn't get to change due to a sold out ship but if you're not sold out then see the maitre d when you first get on the ship to be moved.

Although I booked through an Internet agency about 3 months ago and requested with them a table for two, I also called and e-mailed once to RCCL directly to also request a table for two late dining.

I did end up getting conf. for the late dining but the e-mail answer from RCCL about the table size is posted below:

Regarding your inquiry, you are confirmed for the late

dining seating.

There are very few tables for two in the dining room. The smaller

tables will accommodate two to four people. It is dependent on the

total number of guests on the sailing as to whether we can accommodate

only two guests at a single table. Please have your travel agent note

your request on your booking. Confirmation will not be given prior to

the sailing. Once onboard you will know whether or not you have been

confirmed for a table for two.

It's my understanding that actual seating assignments are done aboard ship (probably not very much prior to sailing), so anything communicated in advance will likely be treated only as a request.

Or ignored completely. We always request a large table and always get a table for 4. Even on a sold-out cruise, you may have some luck changing, though. After you board, go check out your assignment in the dining room, and if it's not to your liking, go see the maitre d' about a change. As somebody posted earlier, he or she will be available prior to embarking at times posted in your Compass.

If you go to the maitre'd when you first board and you didn't get what you "requested," is it necessary to "tip" him/her to get what you want? If so, $10? 20? and how does one gracefully do that? Last cruise I was on there was a long line of people at a window set up waiting to speak to someone about their seating. Any suggestions from people who have done this gracefully, if there is such a way?! The whole thing about "greasing the palm" seems a little sleazy, so to speak, but if it has to be done to get what you want, so be it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Your seating assignment will be on your Sea Pass.

If you are just now requesting a specific table size, I wouldn't hold my breath. I put in my request at the time of booking. Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you don't, and sometimes there isn't a darn thing the Maitre 'D can do to accomodate your request.

On each cruise I have been on, I went to see the Maitre' d on the first day, as posted in the Compass. It is a well ordered process, and they are well prepared, with snacks and beverages for those waiting. (BTW, they use an electronic seating chart, so it is fairly easy for them to move folks around and see what is available.)

Every time, the maitre d was happy to meet my request, offering a number of options available, including seating times and locations. Being flexible is important. For me, getting a table for two was important, so I was happy to change seating times, or get a table by the busing station.

It is easy to do, and you are not "bothering" the maitre d, nor do you need to tip him as far as I know or have seen. BUT, I will tell you this from personal observation: Being pleasant, polite, flexible and wearing a smile will get you much closer to what you want. I watched as people bitched about having to wait, bitched about people breaking in line, complained about the cookies, complained that they were paying too much to get "that" table, etc. From what I saw, this behavior quickly reduces the number of options that will be presented to you.

One lady was making a complete a** of herself, and the next guy in line simply offered for her to go next, I believe so that he did not have to spend anymore time listening to her. When this nice guy got to the maitre d, he was thanked for his help, an apology was given, and the maitre d spent a considerable time getting him exactly what he asked for. From what I could see, I think the maitre d was moving several groups of poeple around to accomidate this gentleman.

Thank you for your helpful responses. I have not had success with requests in the past either. Thought I might have been missing something. I will also check with maitre d once we board the ship. Having an unknown couple with us six women is a little awkward, but we had a very fun couple join us last year. We feel bad leaving them at a large table when we go to alternative dining at least twice during the week.

Archived