Advice please for Pre-Cruise Itinerary: Montreal & Quebec City

Please tell me if this is crazy! :confused:

We are taking the Crystal Symphony in 2010 (#0223 Glory of Autumn,) Montreal to New York cruise. We are trying to plan our pre-cruise adventures. Of course, we will spend pre-cruise days in Montreal as that is where we embark the ship. The cruise only allows for one day (8 a.m. to midnight) in Quebec City, and it looks like a city that I would love to spend additional time. So here is what we were thinking, and please don't hesitate to tell me if you think I'm nuts!

Saturday, 9/25 Fly from Los Angeles to Quebec City

Sunday, 9/26 Quebec City

Monday, 9/27 Morning, Quebec City

Afternoon, rent a car and drive to Montreal

Tuesday, 9/28 Montreal

Wednesday, 9/29 Montreal

Thursday, 9/30 Montreal

Embark Crystal Symphony, overnight in Montreal

Friday, 10/1 Montreal

Depart 9:00 p.m.

Now, assuming you do not think I'm nuts . . . am I allowing the best number of days for each of the two cities?

I always receive the most helpful advice from my CC buddies, and I'm relying on all of you once again. Please advise.

Thanks!!!!

Shelley:)

It sounds like a pretty good plan. QC has lots to do, but is at least fairly compact. A few random notes:

-I see by your other thread that you are interested in art museums (Musée des Beaux-Arts in Mtl). Quebec City also has quite a nice art museum, the Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec -http://www.mnba.qc.ca/Accueil.aspx. Also, opposite the dock in Quebec City is the Musée de la civilisation - http://www.mcq.org/index_en.html.

-Flying into Quebec City instead of Montreal will cost you. Of course, as you're cruising Crystal, that might not matter as much :D. While most flights will necessitate a connection in either Toronto or Montreal, there are 3 US cities that offer direct flights to YQB: Chicago via United, Detroit via Northwest and Newark via Continental.

Thanks for the information on the museums. Since you seem very knowledgeable in this area, what is your "take" on the Museum of Archaeology and History in Montreal? Frommers deems it one of the best museums that Montreal has to offer (along with the Musee des Beaux-Art.) We are definitely art lovers, but not so experienced with archaology. We did love visiting Pompei in Italy, but that's about as far as our expertise goes. Is this a museum that everyone would appreciate, or would you recommend it best for archaeology afficionados? Thanks for the help.

Shelley

Depending on your age and interests, Montreal might still be skimming in just two days. Old Montreal itself is a full day, depending on what you want to see. Also seasons and festivals can influence the schedule as well. For example you might want to spend the evening at the Botanical gardens if you are in Montreal from late September to October to see the Chinese lanterns. Or the Jazz festival if you are in early July. Not to mention the list of restaurants that you want to go to. It all depends on how hurried a day you want, if you want to shop, sit in a café, etc. Montreal's a slow paced city... we want to stop, enjoy the café, watch the world go by, enjoy life. And late at night... we want to stay up and enjoy the nightlife and going to restaurants late.

Archived