Abandoned by HAL

pingsplace

This OP's problem wasn't caused by the airline mess that day, just exacerbated by it. The problem was caused by the late arrival of the ship.

In your case, it was a DL problem that led to them endorsing your tix to US - which any airline is free to do if they are sorting out problems they have caused.

But for the OP, it seems to me that as far as CO was concerned either the pax had no-showed for the booked and ticketed flight (because the ship was late), or the CO res and tix had been canx by HAL when they rebooked the OP onto UA. If the CO res was canx, or if the CO tix were non-endorsable, why should CO endorse anything to UA when the problem was not of their making? And what do we know that suggests that, even if the original tix were endorsed by CO to UA, they would have been sufficient to pay for a last minute res made by HAL on UA - which could have been in a pretty high booking class?

And that's before you look at any interline e-tix issues, where a paper sticker isn't going to solve the electronic problem of transferring the electroniccoupon from one airline to another. You can only paper sticker paper tix.

From what we know so far, it sounds like HAL took the step of making the confirmed res on UA, but then failed to issue the tix. Why isn't that HAL's responsibility? Making a res for your client but not issuing tix is pretty much going to guarantee that your pax will not be boarded.

I believe Globalizier explained the situation very well what probably happened. On Dec. 23, at the airport I received the re-booking for the Dec. 24 and I asked UA was there anything else I needed to do after he printed off the documents. He said, "Just show up tomorrow. Everthing has been looked after."

In hindsight, I should have called HAL on Dec. 23 to confirm that indeed the Dec. 24th booking is a go. I should not have assumed anything.

I have called HAL, and they requested I send them a letter; which I have done.

Mastercard has requested that I send CO and UA a letter.

I wonder what their response will be? Anyone know from past experience?

I believe Globalizier explained the situation very well what probably happened. On Dec. 23, at the airport I received the re-booking for the Dec. 24 and I asked UA was there anything else I needed to do after he printed off the documents. He said, "Just show up tomorrow. Everthing has been looked after."

In hindsight, I should have called HAL on Dec. 23 to confirm that indeed the Dec. 24th booking is a go. I should not have assumed anything.

I have called HAL, and they requested I send them a letter; which I have done.

Mastercard has requested that I send CO and UA a letter.

I wonder what their response will be? Anyone know from past experience?

Ping - Send all the letters! Complain to Mastercard and HAL - both dropped the ball, regardless. You booked HAL's Air plan - that should have covered you.

Archived