Question on Calling from Mexico

Bob P

Hello all,

I tried posting this on the Mexican Riviera section in the Ports of Call forums, but only got one reply:

I wanted to get some opinions on the best way to call home (U.S.A.) from the Mexican Riviera ports of call. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Happy New Year!

I would suggest getting an international calling card if your cell phone doesn't have a service option for Mexico. There are multiple sites online that sell them. Here's one I found:

http://www.masterbell.com/p/buy.php?id_from_country=118&idcountry=182&x=50&y=14

Whatever you do, don't charge the call to your credit/debit card. A friend used her's while we were in Cozumel and it cost over $50 for about 5 minutes!

Julie

If you have a cell phone you can do either of two things. 1) Change your plan to an international plan....with verizon it added $20.00 to the bill. You can change your plan back when you get back from vacation. 2) Reprogram your phone so it works in Mexico. On verizon, calls were .69 per minute plus anywhere from .25 to 1.25 per minute long distance depending where you were. Your cell phone only works when in port and sometimes that is iffy since the towers are someone elses down there.

What about calling cards? I know some of the cards sold here will work overseas, but at a much higher rate per minute.

Has anyone had luck with buying a calling card in Cozumel or Grand Cayman for calling back home? I would be willing to spend $5 to check my voice mail and say a quick hi to family. I bought one of those phone cards in Guatemala earlier this year. I think for 50 quetzales (about $6 at the time) I got a good deal on a phone card.

The cell phone option sounds like too much trouble.

We purchased several $5 prepaid calling cards from TelMex in advance and used them in Cozumel, Cancun and Isla Mujares. Each card provided 10 minutes of talk time to the U.S.

You can buy them here: http://www.telmexusa.com/USA_ing/home_TMXUSA_ing.html

They will send you an e-mail with the calling card number...that is what you use to make the phone calls! We found it worked great and that they were very easy to use. Just look for the payphones with the TelMex logo.

Archived