Balcony for Canada Cruise in October: Too Cold?

We are planning a New England/Canada cruise in the fall 2010. My dream is an aft suite with big balcony to gaze at the wake. But when is it too cold at sea to enjoy the balcony? We are looking at Sept. 17 or 27 and Oct. 7 as departure dates for 10-day cruises. Is this a mistake? Perhaps early Sept. or late August? No colorful leaves, but we could enjoy the aft balcony. Any suggestions about when to take the cruise would be much appreciated.

We just came back from Sept 26 - Oct 10 Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale reposition on the Eurodam with a port side balcony and I think a balcony is a great way to go. Depending on how far south your cruise is going will be a factor as well. I found that we did spend a fair bit of time outside and it really wasn't overly cold, but we did luck into some great weather. I wouldn't hesitate to go with a balcony for this itinerary again, we really enjoyed it.

I was on the same cruise and I agree. While it was cold at sea, the balcony was great for watching arrivals and departures--especially NYC and Boston. We also used the balcony a fair bit in port. It was quite handy to be able to check on the outside temperature before leaving the ship.

We sailed from the 14th of September through the 23rd and it was definitely too cold to eat breakfast out there... or really spend much time at all. BUT, with that said, I still love a balcony and always sail with one. We did enjoy coffee at the railing watching us come into all the ports and I really like the light that comes in with a full balcony also. BUT... yes, it is pretty cold out there while you are at sea. Especially in October. Our cruise mid September was perfect. Cool at night, but perfect walking weather in every port.

Have a blast! It is one of my favorite cruises.

We did a Montreal to NY cruise at the start of Oct 03. On the St. Lawrence it was in the mid 50sF but from Halifax to NY day time temps were in the low 70s (cool morning and night). If the changing leaves are important to you, don't go before October. If warm weather is more important then go ealier. Sailing east from Quebec City the river gets quite wide so after the first day the view is mostly water with land in the distance. The trees along the St.Lawtence are mostly evergreen and aspen that just turn yellow

Wayne

We often have some beautiful weather in September but it gets pretty chilly by October. If this is one of your dreams, then I would say go for the aft cabin, dress warmly or wrap yourself up in one of those big wool blankets they have on deck, get yourself a hot chocolate or something stronger and enjoy the wonderful fall foliage of Canada in the autumn.:)

We just returned from a Canada/New England cruise. We had a balcony on the starboard side and loved it. Yes, it was too cool to sit out for any length of time but we always kept our drapes open, the door open and loved being able to look over the railing coming into port. I agree it's a great way to get your own weather report before heading ashore.

Sailing into NYC is always a thrill and the Statue of Liberty was visable from our balcony.

We just returned from a Canada/New England cruise. We had a balcony on the starboard side and loved it. Yes, it was too cool to sit out for any length of time but we always kept our drapes open, the door open and loved being able to look over the railing coming into port. I agree it's a great way to get your own weather report before heading ashore.

Sailing into NYC is always a thrill and the Statue of Liberty was visable from our balcony.

We also just returned (Oct. 9-16). We had an unusual cold front, according to the locals, but it was way too cold to sit outside. We did appreciate the light and being able to watch while arriving or leaving a port. We found that simply going to the Lido deck for breakfast gave us a better idea of the weather than we got on our balcony where we were somewhat sheltered from the wind. Even though we didn't get to use our balcony much, we'd still do it again.

We also just returned from a New England/Canada cruise. We had a balcony and it was fantastic. Although we didn't sit out on the balcony much because it was unseasonably cold, we stood out there as we arrived and left ports, enjoyed sunrises and sunsets from the privacy of our room, and always kept the drapes open to let the light in. It was fantastic to have a balcony - we won't do it any other way.

• 2 weeks later...

Aft balcony, late September or early October -- go for it!

We did our cruise 10/10 - 10/20, had a starboard balcony and loved it. Except for Boston, I believe we were docked with the starboard side to the piers in every port, which gave us fabulous views.

You'll get much less wind on the aft. We always enjoy our balconies, but aft balconies are the best.

We did the Canada NE Oct. 13 - Oct. 23 and really enjoyed our balcony, especially in the ports. We were almost always facing the port and it was beautiful. It was too cold for breakfast outside, but wonderful for photography, light and viewing our ports. Most memorable were the dancers in Port Saguenay and the bagpipers in Saint John and Halifax.

We went through this decision a year ago and "re-thought" it many times, but it was well worth it in my opinion. Go for it!

We just returned from our cruise 10/16-10/30 and had a balcony. Yes, we had a variety of weather, including heavy rain in Boston and snow in Quebec. That being said, the balcony doors make the room seem larger and stepping out to view stars and/or ports is the way to go. One day the sun was warming up our side of the ship, so we took two wool blankets from the pool area and brought them to our room. We ordered lunch and ate it on the balcony covered with the nice warm blankets -- heavenly. We also opened the door a bit to get fresh air in at night. The ship gets very warm and dry.

Yes, we would firmly recommend you take a room with a balcony/verandah. Happy sailing.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a Cunard Queen Mary 2 "Splendors of Autumn" cruise... 10/29 - 11/5. We always book a balcony cabin on all of our cruises and this was no exception. Since our itinerary only included a single sea day there was little opportunity to sit out on the balcony while out at sea. We're from Southern California and did not find the temperatures to be too cold for us. We'd sit out on the balcony and enjoy a drink, watch the sunset and take in the scenery.

The time of year you're going it will be even better. I definitely say go for it but when it comes to balcony cabins few people are "meh" about them... folks either love them or think they're a waste of money.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We live in New Hampshire and that time of year is absolutely georgeous. We often get Indian Summer around then and the views will be great. Be sure to bring something warm - the water on the ocean is a bit colder. You would have definitely regretted not getting a balcony. I am from here and woud love to go on the same cruise.

You never know about October. It won't be too cold to sit out there at port stops if you're properly clothed, but it might be uncomfortable to sit on a balcony while underway. I've never been on an autumn Canada/NE cruise that didn't have at least one pretty rocky night. It might not bother you, but you should be aware you might experience more movement and/or vibration in the aft. It's a wonderful cruise, though. If you like balconies, then go for it. You'll get at least some use out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

We did a TA by way of Iceland & Nova Scotia at the end of September and had some crazy weather. Our AFT balcony was usable even when the side balconies were too cold and windy to enjoy. AFT is definitely the way to go if you don't mind a little extra rocking in rough seas.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned from a Cunard Queen Mary 2 "Splendors of Autumn" cruise... 10/29 - 11/5. We always book a balcony cabin on all of our cruises and this was no exception. Since our itinerary only included a single sea day there was little opportunity to sit out on the balcony while out at sea. We're from Southern California and did not find the temperatures to be too cold for us. We'd sit out on the balcony and enjoy a drink, watch the sunset and take in the scenery.

The time of year you're going it will be even better. I definitely say go for it but when it comes to balcony cabins few people are "meh" about them... folks either love them or think they're a waste of money.

Enjoy!

Hi Marlena

Hope you and Jay are doing well.... booked Canada/NE on Crown Princess and this thread caught our interest.... we are hooked on aft balconies.... even if the weather is a little cool! How did you like Cunard? Friends we met on Alaska cruise that we're doing the Baltics with this summer absolutely love them... especially the TA's. Noticed you guys are still contemplating Alaska... one of the best cruises we've ever done... we'll probably do it again in summer 2011.. after we explore Baltics and Aust/NZ.

Pam & Bruce

Archived