Ensenada Newspaper Front Page

southbayer

Well, my sister is in Ensenada for a few days, and saw the local paper there - on the front page, a story about Carnival's Elation. According to what Carnival said in the paper, was that "Ensenada no longer made us feel welcome".

That seems to be far fetched to believe from what I think. If you consider all the money that the local economy loses, why would any port, want a ship to leave ? Sorry Carnival, don't buy it, just tell us the truth .

To me it seems like there are some sort of fee's that Carnival wants lowered and this is a public way of putting pressure on the local government.

the problem for Carnival (and RCL) is where would it send it's ships otherwise, there really isn't much of a choice that far up the Baja.

I might have trouble beleiving that too.

A few years back I became quite ill on a ship and had to have an operation in Ensenada. For the time we were there everyone treated us very very well. My husband spoke with many of the locals and they told him that the cruise passangers was thier main source of income and very happy about it.

I think it might have more to do with that some ships have to stop there if not going out of US territory(such as a Hawaii cruise). Who knows maybe Endenada has increased the dock charges because of this but from my experience I dont think we are going to find that as passangers we are not welcome there.

Ensenada (or was it Mexico?) decreased the port charges a year or so ago. One cruise we got $5pp back and it was described as a reduction in port fees. Googling turned up nothing.

An aquarium is being built just on the other side of the port's guard booth. Why would it be built there if they did not want the cruiseship traffic?

Maybe something got lost in translation?

I feel the port fees in Ensenada are a bit steep for what is offered, I mean really that place is not very pretty, no beach, just a straw market. On a 3 day cruise the only stop is Ensenada and the port/taxes is about $50, not too good a value.

I don't know about Ensenada, but I recently spoke with someone who had just come back from Cabo. She said that tourism is down and the people at the hotels and shops seemed to take it out on them with bad attitudes. You would think they would turn on the charm instead because those people were the ones who chose to come and spend money, but she said they encountered just the opposite-resentment.

I don't know about Ensenada, but I recently spoke with someone who had just come back from Cabo. She said that tourism is down and the people at the hotels and shops seemed to take it out on them with bad attitudes. You would think they would turn on the charm instead because those people were the ones who chose to come and spend money, but she said they encountered just the opposite-resentment.

We just came back from Cabo and yes tourism is down all along the Mexican Riviera.......never encountered what your friend did......

As a matter of fact they treated us like king and queens........but then again they always have......

My mom and I sailed on the Elation end of September and really enjoyed both ports of Cabo and Ensenada. Probably my only complaint was just how AGGRESSIVE those vendors in Cabo were especially on the beach!! :mad: I was sort of expecting that in Ensenada but not Cabo. Actually Ensenada was the opposite; if we said "no", they left us alone. Also, Ensenada was such a changed town since the last time I was there. The streets were clean and I only saw once a child trying to sell me gum (which I only encountered when we left the main shopping street). Granted, there aren't beaches to go visit but there are other things to do while in port.

I too think that something might have gotten lost in translation since everyone we encountered while in Ensenada seemed grateful to have us there :rolleyes:

Archived