Orlando Or Cocoa Beach??

isujim

We have never sailed out of Port Canaveral but will be taking the Mariner in April of 06........

Is it easier to stay in Orlando or Cocoa Beach? We are going in 2 days early. Cost of transfers, places to stay etc will all make a difference. Anyone who has done this and their advice would be appreciated.

Jim

Jim,

I just tried to post a note and it wenttttttttttttttttttttttt

I will try again--

If you are not going to Disney, I would stay in the Cocoa Beach area---many hotels to pick from. Melbourne also has a small air port, I know Southwest goes into there. And I am sure that some of the hotels have transportation. Some of the larger hotels are right on the Ocean---if it is Spring Break time, you better book early---that is a spring break area. We love it up in that area. If you need any more info, I will try to find it for you.

You might get on the Brevard web sight and find info on there.

Happy Sailing.

Thanks for the quick reply.........it is right before Easter weekend of 2006......I suppose same thing about the hotels.......better book early??

• 4 weeks later...

If you're not going to the Orlando amusement parks then Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral is a good choice. In April the weather will be very nice. There are many hotels in the area. If you rent a car you can drive to Lone Cabbage for airboat rides http://twisterairboatrides.tripod.com/index.html and to Space Port USA for a Cape Kennedy tour. Maybe you'll be lucky and see a launch while you're there. You just might catch 'launch fever' :)

• 3 weeks later...

Southwest does not fly into MLB. Delta is the only commercial airline to go there. Hotels are going to be less expensive in the orlando area, just because of all of the competition. Instead of the transfers, check into a one way car rental. Budget and avis have shuttles from their offices to the port.

It all depends on what you want to do for the two days. Cocoa Beach is pretty laid back. There are a few decent clubs, restaurants, etc. The Kennedy Space Center is pretty cool. A kayak tour to see manatees and dolphins, or deep sea fishing (party boats cost as little as $45-50). www.sunrisemarina.com

http://www.portcanaveral.org/funport/cruise.htm

You don't have to pay the $$ to do the theme parks to have a good time in Orlando. Heck, you can spend 2 days just going from resort to resort at disney and find something to do at each one. You have Downtown Disney, Universal's City Walk, the outlet malls, and numerous attractions on international drive. It's not a hard area to find your way around. www.orlando.com

There is a ton to do in both places, but you are not traveling for another year, so who knows what will be available.

Archived