Concerns about 2 year old and eating dinner at Camp Carnival

computerkitten

We have twin girls that will just turned 2 years old when we go on our Carnival Cruise. Planning to put them in Camp Carnival but concerned about them being fed there food that is a choking hazard. How do they keep a 3 or 4 year old handing a 2 year old big pieces of food? Are the Camp Carnival counselors really careful about cutting up the food in tiny pieces? Can you request that they not be fed certain food (hot dogs).

Thanks!

CK

You can fill out an 'allergy form' and request that they not be served certain food.

I don't think that the counselors can really help it if another child passes their food. I have not seen the counselors cut up the food as they have their hands full getting food for all the little ones. When I have observed them in the buffet, the kids are usually eating sliced pizza and other food they can eat with their hands.

I would start with giving them larger pieces of food at home so that you can watch them as they learn to handle bigger pieces in their mouths.

Im just wondering what you consider "tiny enough" pieces.

Yes, choking is a real hazard. I guess my personal experience with my 3 kids has just been that at age 2 they have a mouth full of teeth and have always been good at chewing things before swallowing.

I choked when I was in grade school due to my own stupidity (tried to throw up a jawbreaker and catch it in my mouth). I know it can happen at anytime.

Maybe Im just a bad parent who didnt even remotely think about having to worry about one of the kids giving her 2 yo something she "cant" eat on the cruise.

If you're really concerned about what they eat or the size of the food in the Camp, I think I would maybe reconsider having them eat there. You could always feed them from the buffet earlier and then take them. I would also have them get used to eating more food "on their own" before you go so you can see how they handle it (since I'm sure the counselors won't be able to be a vigilent as parents are) and maybe giving them progressively larger pieces.

If you're really concerned about what they eat or the size of the food in the Camp, I think I would maybe reconsider having them eat there. You could always feed them from the buffet earlier and then take them.

I have to agree with this. The camp people deal with young children 7 days a week and 365 days a year. And they have many the same age at the same time. I have fortunately not read of one choking yet. I would not worry.

I probably would not worry about this too much. I have always found the Camp Carnival(CC) staff to be great. That said, the amount of time they have to personally watch over children will depend on how many children sign into CC that day.

If your children really want to eat with all the other children(my children loved CC), and you still have concerns, nobody will stop you from sitting one or two tables over while they eat their dinner at the buffet.

If your children really want to eat with all the other children(my children loved CC), and you still have concerns, nobody will stop you from sitting one or two tables over while they eat their dinner at the buffet.

Actually, they will not allow you to eat near them. The Camp dinners were in a separate area of the buffet and were roped off. They will not allow anyone close to the children, rightfully so.

Actually, they will not allow you to eat near them. The Camp dinners were in a separate area of the buffet and were roped off. They will not allow anyone close to the children, rightfully so.

This is very true, when we have been in the buffet and the club brings the little children in the adults watch very carefully and they have a special section. That is how it should be.

Archived