Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac vs. Auberge Saint-Antoine in Quebec City

Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels recently? Both are extremely highly rated, and I am trying to decide where to stay. The Frontenac has so much history and is so grand, but I have read some reviews suggesting that it is very large and extremely busy with families and/or conventions. I haven't been able to find a single negative review about the Auberge Saint-Antoine, which is a small boutique hotel. All reviews indicate that service at both is spectacular. We are looking for something really special. We are usually drawn to traditional boutique hotels and Four Seasons hotels. Can anyone share their personal experiences as guests of either of these hotels?

Thanks,

Shelley

I have never stayed at either, but both I know have very good reputations - I used to work at the city's tourism office, and both were regularly used for visiting journalists. What I can comment on are size and location. The Château is in Upper Town, on the cliff with spectacular river views and is very grand, and large. You will have a great view of your ship (provided it's docked in either dock 22, 21 or 93). The Auberge Saint-Antoine, on the other hand, is a small, chic boutique hotel, part of which is housed in an old maritime warehouse, in Lower Town. If your ship is docked in either the aforementioned docks (very likely, as 103 is only used for overflow on very busy days), you will literally be accross the street from your ship. I estimate the walk from hotel to cruise terminal at 2 minutes, 3 if you take your time :D.

Both look great. But if it were me, I'd be staying at the Auberge Saint-Antoine.

Thanks, Twickenham --

That's probably what we will do. The Auberge Saint-Antoine looks amazing. I'm still hoping to get some reviews from travelers here who have actually stayed there.

I wish we would be so close to our ship as you describe. However, this is pre-cruise, and it will be quite some days before our ship is in port. We are actually flying to Quebec City from home (Los Angeles) where we will stay on land for 2 nights. Then, we are renting a car and driving to Montreal where we will stay on land for 3 nights. Only then do we board the Crystal Symphony, which will be overnight in Montreal. We will then be able to have an additional 2 days in Montreal before we set sail. We return to Quebec City on our cruise (when we will, of course, be sleeping on the ship). We are doing it this way so that we can pick up additional days in both Quebec City and Montreal.

Thanks for the advice on the hotels. Our trip isn't until next year, but I can't wait! The fun in the planning is almost as grand as the actual vacation!

Shelley:)

I just stayed at the Chateau Frontenac on October 4th, and while it is a Grand hotel, rich with history, I don't think you will see much more by staying there than you would if you just walked through her. Yes, she's beautiful but I felt her a little impersonal, although the service was excellent! If you prefer boutique hotels, I would go with the Auberge St. Antoine. It looks wonderful and as you say, is rated very high. I think you will get a better feel for Vieux (Old) Quebec by staying there. Enjoy your stay! This city has so much old world charm you'll almost feel like you've left the continent. :)

Last month we stayed at the Auberge St. Pierre which is very close to the St. Antoine. It is directly across from the Museum of Civilization and close to the old town. The St. Pierre was wonderful....we booked a larger room an requested a king size bed...we walked to the pier for embarkation...only took 5 minutes. You will love Quebec City!

Karen

Archived