Mariner Review 10/4-10/11

lyssa13

My Fiancée and I are on Mariner November 8th. I wanted to know how the age groups were? Was it mostly older couples, Young couples, or Mixed? We are both 23, so we would like some people our age.

based on my observation (of course I haven't seen everyone on board at 1 time), I'd say there're more older couples than young. Average age would be early 50s I'd say... and that's because there're kids to pull the average age down.

Thanks for your great review. My husband and will will be sailing the Mariner in May.

I really appreciate you also for giving the names of the shore excursions and places you went to at the ports. We are big on planning ahead and this info will be helpful.

My Fiancée and I are on Mariner November 8th. I wanted to know how the age groups were? Was it mostly older couples, Young couples, or Mixed? We are both 23, so we would like some people our age.

My Girlfriend and I will be on that cruise. 32 and 27. This will be our second cruise and my first trip to the left coast. Can't wait.

Also nice review by lyssa!

-Seth

We were on this cruise too, and had an absolute blast!

As far as the head waiter discussion goes, I also thougt the same thing, ours never even came by our table, not even to collect his tip. I guess he didn't need to since we had MTD, it was a guaranteed tip. I asked if there was any way that we could give his portion to our waiter, Vivian and his assistant Andan, which we couldn't. Vivian & Andan told us that the dining room wouldn't run well, especially MTD. He does alot of behind the scenes work and makes sure everything goes how it should.

It's too bad you didn't go to Stone Island. We went and spent the day at Victor's & Lety's. (We moved over to Lety's for more variety in the me. nu) The food was delicious, and the Margaritas potent, as well as the Tequila. We stumbled back to the ship just at the last minute.

We also did the Los Veranos tour. SOOO much fun!! I hung upside down and got to go down in Superman position. We couldn't do the Outdoor Adventure because my son was below the minimum age. Azdmelani, what time did you go? We were on the 10:45 tour. After we got back to the ship, we took a taxi back to the Malecon for some quick shopping. Again, made it back just in time.

My opinion on the age group is that it was mixed, but I found there to be more people in the late 20's to late 40's group.

Matt Yee was hilarious, I even got lead an Oy. Quest was hilarious! I got one of the drinks in the bartender pre-show. I drink from my light up glass with great pride!

I miss my little sandwiches in the Cafe Promenade, and my yummy food. We all thought that the food in the dining room was excellent. No complaints. My loose jeans fit tight now, so I guess now would be a good time to get back into the gym!

We already planning our druise for next year. For those of you with upcoming sailings, I'm so jealous!! Have a blast!

We were on this cruise too, and had an absolute blast!

As far as the head waiter discussion goes, I also thougt the same thing, ours never even came by our table, not even to collect his tip. I guess he didn't need to since we had MTD, it was a guaranteed tip. I asked if there was any way that we could give his portion to our waiter, Vivian and his assistant Andan, which we couldn't. Vivian & Andan told us that the dining room wouldn't run well, especially MTD. He does alot of behind the scenes work and makes sure everything goes how it should.

It's too bad you didn't go to Stone Island. We went and spent the day at Victor's & Lety's. (We moved over to Lety's for more variety in the me. nu) The food was delicious, and the Margaritas potent, as well as the Tequila. We stumbled back to the ship just at the last minute.

We also did the Los Veranos tour. SOOO much fun!! I hung upside down and got to go down in Superman position. We couldn't do the Outdoor Adventure because my son was below the minimum age. Azdmelani, what time did you go? We were on the 10:45 tour. After we got back to the ship, we took a taxi back to the Malecon for some quick shopping. Again, made it back just in time.

My opinion on the age group is that it was mixed, but I found there to be more people in the late 20's to late 40's group.

Matt Yee was hilarious, I even got lead an Oy. Quest was hilarious! I got one of the drinks in the bartender pre-show. I drink from my light up glass with great pride!

I miss my little sandwiches in the Cafe Promenade, and my yummy food. We all thought that the food in the dining room was excellent. No complaints. My loose jeans fit tight now, so I guess now would be a good time to get back into the gym!

We already planning our druise for next year. For those of you with upcoming sailings, I'm so jealous!! Have a blast!

We were on the 10:45 tour too- your son was the only child on the tour right? He looked like he had a blast! My friend did the upside down and superman, letting go was brave enough for me :)

My Girlfriend and I will be on that cruise. 32 and 27. This will be our second cruise and my first trip to the left coast. Can't wait.

Also nice review by lyssa!

-Seth

Hey Seth,

Have you joined the Roll Call for the Meet & Mingle for our sailing? If not you should join it.

Yes, I would definitely say the outdoor adventure is the one to do - it includes SO much. My best friend did the same tour 3 weeks ago and we all left saying the same thing, I can't believe how much you get for the money!

It's my understanding that on the outdoor adventure tour you get wet, something about sliding down a waterfall. In January and February, will that water be too cold? Or am I getting my tours mixed up?

Hey Seth,

Have you joined the Roll Call for the Meet & Mingle for our sailing? If not you should join it.

Let me look into it a little more. Can you give me the pros for it?

I'm traveling with a small group (6 of us) so if they weren't interested then I doubt we would go.

You getting into LA on Sat or Sun?

We were on the 10:45 tour too- your son was the only child on the tour right? He looked like he had a blast! My friend did the upside down and superman, letting go was brave enough for me :)

That was us! We all had so much fun. Which ones were you?

It's my understanding that on the outdoor adventure tour you get wet, something about sliding down a waterfall. In January and February, will that water be too cold? Or am I getting my tours mixed up?

Yes, you are right. You are wet for a lot of it...but because these are springs, the water is cold no matter what (very little sunlight hit any of it because of the dense trees). I wouldn't say it would ever be too cold for this tour, as it's never truly cold in Puerto Vallarta. My boyfriend and I spent a week in Cabo in December and came back with sunburns!

The water is a little cold, but you really don't even notice.

We're new to RCI, and to the Mariner. We've got our cruise booked for next February. On the day the ship leaves San Pedro, what dinner arrangements are there on board? And what time does the ship actually depart the dock?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Sloopsailer.....Welcome to RCCL.

This is Barbara. What date are you on in February/ I am on the

February 7th cruise.

Usually the ship leaves at 5:00 pm. The Windjammer is open for

lunch and dinner departure day (Buffet). Also the dining room is

open for dinner 6:00 first seating, 8:45 (that day only) second

seating. All other days second seating is 8:30. There is also

my time dining where can eat whenever you want. Both CHops

and Portofino are also open for dinner.

On Feb 7th, I will have 67 RCCL cruises to Mexico only. Be happy

to answer any other questions you might have.

February 7th cruise.

Thanks for the info! We actually leave on Jan 31st, but I call it a February cruise since most of it is in fact in February. We'll be in hump cabin 9322. I'll make sure the staff cleans the ship extra carefully for your cruise :)

Hi All!

My boyfriend (26) and I (24) are in the midst of recovering from our wonderful cruise aboard the Mariner and I figured I would write a review! I am trying to get back into work mode, but typing up this review seems much more exciting than anything going on at my desk.

We are from Orange County, so the trip to the port was easy. I promised my boyfriend we could watch some Sunday morning football before we got to the port so we went to the San Pedro Brewing Company where all the games were on. It was only 5 minutes from the port....we got to the port at 1:30 (which is the latest I have ever gotten on a ship) and we walked right on!

We were in an inside stateroom, 6465 - and it was just fine for what we needed. Our stateroom attendant was Pam, and although she was friendly - I didn't feel like she was very outgoingly friendly, if that makes sense. I have had some attendants that have been so much more friendly, but I can't complain - she did her job well!

We had late seating in the MDR, table 562 in the Sound of Music on Deck 5. I had requested a table for 2 a couple of months before sailing, so I was very happy to see that request had been filled. I ABSOLUTELY loved our Waiter and Assistant Waitress, Christian and Maria. They were amazingly helpful, I loved them.

Let me take this time to vent - We did prepaid gratuities, I always do - I hate having to worry about saving enough cash to tip on the last night. But I really hate having to tip the head waiter. He comes up to us to "fake chat" as we like to call it, and I don't really see him doing much at all. He never truly helped us, he never was helping any other table, he never helped the waiters - I think this is an unncessary position and would rather give that $7 a person to the waiter/asst waiter. I worked at restaurants for 4 or 5 years as a hostess, food runner, waitress - and love tipping, when I think it's appropriate, this is one position I still don't see the necessity of **END VENT**

Anyway - I don't really understand the complaints on the quality of the food in the dining room. My boyfriend and I eat at very nice restaurants extremely often - so I have a lot to compare it to. I think you need to go into it realizing you are on a cruise with food that is being mass produced. It is NOT going to be the BEST steak you ever had, or the BEST lobster ever - but it's good and it's pretty cheap in the scheme of things (with the price of the cruise). I ordered the prime rib on the first night and like mine still moo-ing (rare) so it came out perfectly and I could tell it was cooked pretty freshly. If you order it medium, I'm sure it has been sitting under heat lamps for quite some time - so use common sense!

I felt the options were at times very different from most cruises. There is the standard escargot (which I tried, and although the snail concept is gross to me, the garlic butter is AMAZING and had my boyfriend and I scraping the pan with our bread to finish it) the standard shrimp cocktail, caesar salad...etc, but there are some different dishes which were nice to see and we loved to try.

The windjammer was marginal, as most buffets are. We really liked it for breakfast, although we never pigged out. We loved the MDR for lunch, I could eat that Salad Bar for lunch EVERY DAY. I love the concept, I lived in NYC last year before I moved to California and we had those salad places everywhere, where you pick your lettuce, ingredients, dressings and have it all chopped up - and I really miss it. My boyfriend loved the Beef Tostada Salad (fancy way of saying Taco Salad) and had it twice. I really enjoyed the turkey burger, it was really tasty.

We went to the gym 4 times and that made me feel a lot better about eating! The gym is really nice, my boyfriend enjoyed the steam and sauna after working out and I enjoyed the whirlpool after my workout.

To all of those wondering about sports - it's hit or miss, but better than I expected. On Sunday when we got on board we went right to the 19th Hole (remember, I was with my boyfriend who made me go to the sports bar before going on the ship) and they had the Chargers game on and the Sunday night game, so that was very nice. They also showed the Monday night game. It was the rest of the week that was dicey, the Dodgers and Angels were both playing and sometimes they would have their games on, sometimes they would show them 45 minutes into the game, and other times they would make you confused and have pool on or soccer. We later found out that they contract out their programming to a 3rd party company and they are the ones who pick what is on and figure out all of the licensing. This is the part that made me sad because I am a huge University of Florida fan, and on Saturday we (ranked #1) played LSU (ranked #4) and instead of showing that game, they showed another college football game between two unranked teams.

ESPN is the main channel and they show other sports through that channel (TBS on ESPN, ABC on ESPN, etc.) - so if it's on ESPN/ABC, you have a great chance of catching your game.

The bartender in the 19th hole was great, Samuel (he will be in the Schooner Bar for the next two weeks - so if you will be on, look for him when you check out Matt Yee!)

That is my next topic - Matt Yee is an absolutely amazing entertainer. Although he is very pushy with asking for tips and trying to sell his CD, it definitely works for him. You can't miss him - he is in the Schooner Bar at least 3 or 4 nights.

The other shows were okay, the Love and Marriage Game Show was the funniest I have EVER been to and I think it was mostly in part to our Cruise Director, he is extremely quick and snappy and comes up with very funny jokes in a flash. My boyfriend was laughing hysterically, and that's my gauge of funny!

The adult comedian was really funny too, really dirty - but I loved that and it was hilarious!

Hmmm...what else. The weather on the way back up on Saturday was a bummer because it was chilly and windy - but it's okay...we were drinking and keeping ourselves warm inside.

Oh - the ports.

Cabo - We had just done a week in Cabo in December so we already knew we wanted to go to Medano Beach. We got a water taxi ($4 a person) and went to Billygans. Got wasted, had a great time, played some games on the beach, went swimming with our beers in the water. Oh - be cautious, my boyfriend got a mild sting from a jellyfish while in the water. He got it off of him before it really stung, but he said his fingers and cheek were really on fire. I am much more of a baby than he is, so I probably would have been freaking out - but he just grabbed it off his face and went on with the day (i'm sure the beer and tequila helped!)

Mazatlan - GARBAGE! Every comedian and cruise director staff member makes fun of this stop (i.e. - it gets prettier the further away you go). We got off and figured we would make a plan as we went, and right away we were just over it. It is grungy, you have to take a cab to go anywhere - and nothing sounded very exciting. We walked around the shops right there in the port for about 10 mintues and decided to go inside, go to the gym and eat lunch in the dining room. We were very happy we did. Luckily, we didn't have high hopes for Mazatlan, so we weren't disappointed.

Puerto Vallarta - AMAZING! We booked the Outdoor Adventure through Johann and Sandra that advertise on the boards and it was great. Be careful of the time difference if you book tours on your own. Ship time is an hour behind of PV time, so even though our tour left at 9:30, we had to really be there by 8:30 ship time. They also made it very hard to find where we were supposed to meet, so get out there early and don't be afraid to ask questions. But the Outdoor Adventure was absolutely amazing, if you have any questions - ask me.

Quick summary, exciting boat ride, open air vehicle that takes you offroading to the mountain, ridiculously amazing and unbelievable mule ride to the top of the mountain, zip lines, rapelling down waterfalls, free fall rapels....when it says hike - there is VERY little hiking. Don't let that scare you. If you are marginally physically fit and can handle going up a hill for 10 minutes, DO THIS TOUR. Oh yea, at the end we went to an authentic Tequila Distillery in a little village and got to taste all of the tequilas (Blanco, Anejo, Reposado, Amaretto and CHOCOLATE!) It was great and we bought a bottle of Anejo for my boyfriends dad.

We had brought Captain and Vodka in Rum Runners and it was PERFECT. We were a little worried because our bags didn't come until around 8pm, but our attendant told us that one of the elevators were broken and it took longer than usual. That made us sweat it out (I got REALLY anxious) - but everything came to us. Definitey recommend these rum runners.

Okay - that's a long review. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. You can email me at alyssa.rechtman @ gmail.com

Hope you enjoyed my review as much as I enjoyed the ship. Royal Caribbean is amazing and I loved the ship (I had been on the Explorer and the Voyager in the past). I really think RCCL is a great experience, I do just enjoy the younger partying crowd of Carnival.

:D

sounds like a great cruise. thank you for teh informative review. as far as the head waiter (i think you were referring to the matre'd) goes, just be aware that it is he who makes the table arrangements and thus accomodated your special request for a table for 2. i think most would be thankful to the matre'd. you were very lucky to have that done for you since there are very few tables for 2 available.

sounds like a great cruise. thank you for teh informative review. as far as the head waiter (i think you were referring to the matre'd) goes, just be aware that it is he who makes the table arrangements and thus accomodated your special request for a table for 2. i think most would be thankful to the matre'd. you were very lucky to have that done for you since there are very few tables for 2 available.

Just my 2 cents worth here........the Head Waiter is someone different than the Maitre'd. There are several Head Waiters.....and only one Maitre'd. The Maitre'd is considered an officer, and is not tipped, but the Head Waiters actually run the waiters, and they are there to make sure that everything is running smoothly.

If one had a complaint of the dining room service.....it's the Head Waiter that they need to see. It's the Head Waiters responsibility to make sure that every table is properly served.

They come around and ask how everything is.........and some (especially the younger ones on CC) think that they are only there to "talk".

The real reason that they are there.....as they have come up from the rank of waiter.....is to make sure that your waiters are properly taking care of you.

Yes, they are somewhat behind the scenes, but very important, and in their position..........they need to be tipped, as suggested by the cruise line.

Rick

Thanks for the info! We actually leave on Jan 31st, but I call it a February cruise since most of it is in fact in February. We'll be in hump cabin 9322. I'll make sure the staff cleans the ship extra carefully for your cruise :)

Come join our Roll Call............

We will be neighbors, I am in 9318:)

Just my 2 cents worth here........the Head Waiter is someone different than the Maitre'd. There are several Head Waiters.....and only one Maitre'd. The Maitre'd is considered an officer, and is not tipped, but the Head Waiters actually run the waiters, and they are there to make sure that everything is running smoothly.

If one had a complaint of the dining room service.....it's the Head Waiter that they need to see. It's the Head Waiters responsibility to make sure that every table is properly served.

They come around and ask how everything is.........and some (especially the younger ones on CC) think that they are only there to "talk".

The real reason that they are there.....as they have come up from the rank of waiter.....is to make sure that your waiters are properly taking care of you.

Yes, they are somewhat behind the scenes, but very important, and in their position..........they need to be tipped, as suggested by the cruise line.

Rick

unless things have changed since i last sailed, there are 3 envelopes for the dining room 1. matre'd

2. head waiter (your waiter)

3. assistant waiter (the one who brings

the bread, salad dressing, gravy etc...

have the envelopes changed? whatever that person is called, i think we are all talking about the same person.

unless things have changed since i last sailed, there are 3 envelopes for the dining room 1. matre'd

2. head waiter (your waiter)

3. assistant waiter (the one who brings

the bread, salad dressing, gravy etc...

have the envelopes changed? whatever that person is called, i think we are all talking about the same person.

Was on Mariner last week, rubrrick is correct the 3 envelopes would be Head Waiter, Waiter and Asst. Waiter.

Was on Mariner last week, rubrrick is correct the 3 envelopes would be Head Waiter, Waiter and Asst. Waiter.

Although I didn't mention the envelopes, Sharon is correct about the 3 envelopes given out in the dining room.

None is given to the Maitre'd, and he does not expect anything.

Rick

February 7th cruise.

Usually the ship leaves at 5:00 pm. The Windjammer is open for

lunch and dinner departure day (Buffet). Also the dining room is

open for dinner 6:00 first seating, 8:45 (that day only) second

seating. All other days second seating is 8:30. There is also

my time dining where can eat whenever you want. Both CHops

and Portofino are also open for dinner.

On Feb 7th, I will have 67 RCCL cruises to Mexico only. Be happy

to answer any other questions you might have.

Hi Barbara,

since you have been on many cruises to Mexico, perhaps you can help me here. In March we took a private tour of Puerto Vallarta. At the end of the tour, the guide took us to a restaurant. It was by a river or creek (?) and on the third floor of a building. It was really nice up there, patio type area which overlooked the river area. They made your guacamole at the table. The food was very good.

My sister and her husband are cruising the Mariner next month, I'd like for her to try this restaurant but, I don't know the name and can't even tell her where it is. I don't even know the general area of where it could be.

Do you or anyone know of this restaurant?

Casinocim, I dont know about that restaurant. We usuallly ate

at Carlos and Charlies or at a restaurant in jungle by a waterfall

that had the best fresh lobster in Mexico.

Perhaps some else can give you the restaurant's name.

Archived