NCL STAR How strict are they about bringing a bottle or two of wine on board

superstew

Leaving on Oct. 24th out of LA---can I bring a bottle or two of wine in my valise or is that frowned upon. Also getting many 'mixed msgs.' about the quality of the food on board..thinking that the steakhouse, Japanese restaurant and the Italian food restaurant are worth the surcharge. I would be interested in hearing comments on the food--and what to avoid. Also we fly out of LAX at noon on the day we disembark---is there any way you can get to the front of the line so you don't miss your flight?

Food is very subjective so I hesitate to comment but after 4 cruises on the Star I will say that we never went hungry and usually found something to our liking each and every night in the Main Dining Rooms. On those other evenings, we would frequent one of the specialty restaurants.

You are more than welcome to bring some wine onboard, but NCL does charge a corking fee of $15.00 per bottle.

Corkage even if you drink in your stateroom.

We'll be the ones they are kicking off the boat when you are waiting to get on board. If we slow down your embarcation I apologize in advance, but I already know we won't want to get off the ship.

Any way to change your flight, noon might be cutting it close?

Is the wine very expensive on board? They have a 'captive audience'! How can they charge a 'corkage fee' if you open it and drink it in your stateroom?

There are a few posts around here with their wine list, I think it's the same as you see when you go to their website and look at the Bon Voyage gifts. I don't think they are horribly expensive, but for me it's worth bringing a few bottles to know that we'll have some that we like.

They also have a 'bar setup' where they sell you a bottle of liquor. They are usually $60 - $100 per bottle. $60 for Smirnoff Vodka. Also a few posts around here with lists if you are interested.

Sorry, not a reply, but again a question: It is better to bring 1 bottle of a sherry (for medicinal purposes before bed, for real) on board in your carry on or just pack it in luggage? We have no problem paying thr $15. corkage fee, just what is more advisable.

Leaving 10-30, 14 nite repo.

Many thanks in advance for the best and safest way to bring it onboard.

Sorry, not a reply, but again a question: It is better to bring 1 bottle of a sherry (for medicinal purposes before bed, for real) on board in your carry on or just pack it in luggage? We have no problem paying thr $15. corkage fee, just what is more advisable.

Leaving 10-30, 14 nite repo.

Many thanks in advance for the best and safest way to bring it onboard.

The baggage handlers on the dock can be a little rough with your luggage. If you put it in there, pack a lot of soft stuff around it. I would carry it on.

Is the wine very expensive on board? They have a 'captive audience'! How can they charge a 'corkage fee' if you open it and drink it in your stateroom?

They will charge you the fee when you are boarding the ship. Hand luggage is scanned as you board and checked luggage is scanned and if they see anything suspicious they hold it and call you down to the "naughty room" to open it pay a fee if it is wine or hand it over if it is other alcohol.

Yes wine is expensive on board.

Regarding your flight, you can hand carry EVERYTHING you bring, no help allowed and get off early, otherwise you need to show them your airline tickets and they will give you tags for your bags that are for an early but not first departure. It is a zoo getting off no matter what you do.

and if you don't carry them all yourself then you have to go FIND and claim your bags then get into the line for taxi's or whatever transport you are making, also know that security at LAX takes TIME.

I would have gone with a later flight, good luck.

We always hand carry our wine aboard. Lesson learned: Our BIL had his in his regular suitrcase given to the porters. The bottle was surrounded by clothing, but in spite of what he thought was careful packing, the bottle of red wine broke somewhere along the way ruining LOTS of clothing, including an expensive jacket and the suitcase. Made for a stressful trip with lots of added expense.

I love all the food discussions, especially reading the comments of those that rate the food as either of the two extremes, "excellent" or "horrible."

Some of this can be explained by simple subjectivity, but I think the largest variable is what folks have been used to prior to the cruise. Are they used to eating at restaurants that employ someone at least nominally designated as a "chef?" Or perhaps they're more accustomed to the higher quality chain restaurants? Maybe they prefer the all-you-can-eat buffets?

To me, the food is high-quality institutional. For simple logistical reasons, a lot of it is frozen. You're not going to have a transformative blissful gourmet experience. But it is quite edible. If you can dine at one of the better chain restaurants without griping, you'll be happy. I personally don't see any qualitative difference between the main dining rooms and the specialty restaurants, but I still think it's worth the few dollars just for a different experience. I know others will probably differ, but I like the fact that the serving sizes are reasonable.

If you find yourself tiring of the 3 meal a day restaurant ritual (as I do), the jewel class buffets are pretty impressive. Yes, it's a buffet. But they vary the fare, and seem to put a lot of effort into presentation. The older ship buffets have more of a college dining room feel to them.

In summary, I think the food is fine. However, they won't be getting their Michelin stars anytime soon.

Also getting many 'mixed msgs.' about the quality of the food on board..thinking that the steakhouse, Japanese restaurant and the Italian food restaurant are worth the surcharge. I would be interested in hearing comments on the food--and what to avoid.

On many of our cruises we have carried on wine and not paid the corkage fee after full expecting to pay...It really depends on who is checking the luggage and if NCL has someone there to collect the fee.

My experience has been that NCL is very hit or miss, mostly miss,...put it in your carry on see what happens...the worst thing is that you will pay the $15 corkage fee...

Carry your wine on is my suggestion. Otherwise your sailaway will be interrupted by a trip to the naughty room where you'll pay the corkage then.

Unlike RichNY, we've always had to pay at check-in. But he's right that many folks haven't had to.

The charge is put on your onboard account and you get stickers on the wine to prove you've paid.

We've taken on as much as nine bottles.. probably why we had to pay. lol

You can get a "cheap" bottle on board for around $35 after tip.

Leaving on Oct. 24th out of LA---can I bring a bottle or two of wine in my valise or is that frowned upon. Also getting many 'mixed msgs.' about the quality of the food on board..thinking that the steakhouse, Japanese restaurant and the Italian food restaurant are worth the surcharge. I would be interested in hearing comments on the food--and what to avoid. Also we fly out of LAX at noon on the day we disembark---is there any way you can get to the front of the line so you don't miss your flight?

On the Star now and I am a former restaurant reviewer so read "picky eater here" I have found the food quality overall very good. Ate at Main Dining, Soho & Cagneys all great. We will eat at Le Bistro tomorrow. As far as the flight I don't know that as we live in LA. You can bring the wine but have to pay the corkage fee.

Thanks, I think we'll put it in a carry on. After all, its only 1 bottle! We wanted to order from the gifts department to be sent directly to the room(price would be the same if we have tp pay the $15. corkage), but after calling, they said if it's not on the wine list, they do not carry it!

In looking at the bar drinks from NCL Jewel, it does list "Harvey's Bristol Cream" as a cocktail! So, someone doesn't know what's what.

Thanks and if anyone has more definite info about Jewel having Harvey's in their wine/sherry collection, please do share in advance.

Happy sails.

Thanks, I think we'll put it in a carry on. After all, its only 1 bottle! We wanted to order from the gifts department to be sent directly to the room(price would be the same if we have tp pay the $15. corkage), but after calling, they said if it's not on the wine list, they do not carry it!

In looking at the bar drinks from NCL Jewel, it does list "Harvey's Bristol Cream" as a cocktail! So, someone doesn't know what's what.

Thanks and if anyone has more definite info about Jewel having Harvey's in their wine/sherry collection, please do share in advance.

Happy sails.

If someone posted this already, sorry for the repeat. Here's the most recent wine list I've seen.

NCLWinelist09.pdf

Happy sails.

Harvey's Bristol Cream is considered a liqueur not a wine ---- is is not on the NCL available liqueur list for a bar set up--if it was it would probably be sixty dollars or so.

Bg

Hi Wink, Thank you SO much for the wine list---VERY helpful---I will definitely bring some good wine on board and save big $$ even with the 'corkage fee'. This board and all of you who answer questions for fellow travellers are GREAT!!! Thanks again.

Hi Wink, Thank you SO much for the wine list---VERY helpful---I will definitely bring some good wine on board and save big $$ even with the 'corkage fee'. This board and all of you who answer questions for fellow travellers are GREAT!!! Thanks again.

I'm not just a pretty face... ;) You're most welcome, stew.

Bon Voyage and Clinky!

Hey Vince, Thanks for the invitation--we would love to meet you folks---how do I go about signing up?---I went to the link you provided but couldn't sign on the roll call list. Susan

Susan,

Your signed up and badge will be waiting for you at the "Sail Away" at the Bier garden -4:30 or so - or the "Meet & Greet" in the Aqua Dining room Sunday at 11:30.

Leave a posting on the Roll call and Pre-Meet the group.

Vince

Bg - Thanks. All these years I'd order it as a ''sherry'', but no big deal. $60 even if they had it is a bit high for 1 bottle of sherry/liquer..

Thanks, we'll bring ours and pay the $15 bucks.

Happy sails.

ps

Good luck. Just don't be shocked if they take away your sherry and put it in storage until the last night of the cruise. Wine is fine to carry on (subject to $15 corkage) but they don't allow actual liquor or liqueurs.

Like RichNY said, may or may not be collected.

Thanks Arwenmark, So the deal is: take all your luggage off the ship yourself ASAP at the end of the cruise---do they allow people to simply walk off whenever they feel like it? Your info has been very helpful.

It is not quite that simple. You have to wait until all non-US citizens have cleared immigration on the ship before anybody can leave. Then they will announce that walk-offs may disembark. That can result in chaos sometimes because some people will get in line who have tagged their luggage just to try to get off early. I guess they prefer to wait in the warehouse than on the ship !!!

If the immigration gets done in a reasonable time, it goes pretty fast after that even with all the confusion.

Since it will be Saturday, the freeway to the airport should move quickly.

Archived