cayman, cozumel, princess cays - shopping?

PA8880

Hey all,

Sailing on the crown soon - wanted to know what the shopping was like at these ports? Looking for small trinkets or little stands to purchase small gifts at? Any recommendations on where shopping is best?

Thank you!!!

Hey all,

Sailing on the crown soon - wanted to know what the shopping was like at these ports? Looking for small trinkets or little stands to purchase small gifts at? Any recommendations on where shopping is best?

Thank you!!!

Cayman: ultra expensive

Cays: not a port; it's a tendering beach

Cozumel: Buy it there

I went to Grand Caymen last year. I purchased a strand of black coral beads (?)w/14k gold beads (looks like a black strand of pearls) I "bargined" and paid 80.00. I believe the list price was 129.00 They say Black coral is only on Grand Caymen but I saw alot of it in Cozemel as well. If you find something you like.... bargin, just don't pay the asking price. They expect to haggle. Happy shopping!

Cozemel had alot of Sterling Silver, just don't buy it in the mall that you have to walk through to get to the street from the cruise port. Small shops have the best buys!

I went to Grand Caymen last year. I purchased a strand of black coral beads (?)w/14k gold beads (looks like a black strand of pearls) I "bargined" and paid 80.00. I believe the list price was 129.00 They say Black coral is only on Grand Caymen but I saw alot of it in Cozemel as well. If you find something you like.... bargin, just don't pay the asking price. They expect to haggle. Happy shopping!

Cozemel had alot of Sterling Silver, just don't buy it in the mall that you have to walk through to get to the street from the cruise port. Small shops have the best buys!

OP is looking for trinkets, not gold, silver or gemstones.

Cozumel has the best prices for trinkets, tshirts, etc. Los Sincos Sols is the nicest store there for trinkets (my favorite) and might also be the most expensive. You will find lots of handpainted pottery items. It also has my favorite restaurant, Poncho's Backyard behind it. If you want to save money on your trinkets get off the main beach road and explore the shops on the other streets in the back.

Cozumel has good shopping but, buyer beware! If you go with the cruise sponsored outfits like Diamonds International, you'll be fine. If you know what you're doing when it comes to authenticating jewely, fine but many of the shops misrepresent. My wife and I bought $900 worth of what turned out to be junk (Saphire). Through some nifty investigation, my wife, who speaks Spanish called and spoke to the owner of the store and was able to get $500 back through a Western Union wire. We think he was a bit scared of her because my wife was able to get his cell phone number (from making several phone calls to area business and locating people who knew him). After that experience, I would go with the ship partner aformentioned.

Archived