Merida Excursion

lsualum00

I will be arriving into Progreso next month and want to tour Merida. Can anyone suggest the best options? Should I book through Carnival - the Merida City Overview & Shopping package for $39.95 or wait until we arrive in Progreso?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to CC. The bus from Progreso to Merida is $3. Drops you off 1 block from the center of town. There is a tourist office on the square that has maps and information -free. Pretty much everything to see is within a few blocks of the square, very easy to navigate and perfectly safe. Enjoy your visit.

I agree with Traveler 353 if you like adventure, but you can do the Merida City Tour with autoprogreso tours. It´s only $25pp. That company is very professional and my family and I enjoyed the Uxmal Tour with them. We booked through this emaol address: autoprogresotours@hotmail.com

I Like to help people, just like they did with me.

Hope this helps!!!

Cyranie:p

Autoprogreso operates both the tours to Mérida, USD 25.00, and the regular bus service to Mérida, MXN 13.00 (equivalent to USD 1.00) each way. The Carnival package, at USD 39.95, appears to be over-priced.

When we were docked in Progreso we utilized the regular Autoprogreso bus service to Mérida (about 45 minutes one-way), did sightseeing both on foot and on one of the double-deck Turibus buses. This latter tour is not advertised to cruise passengers, and we were the only two people riding the pleasant loop throughout Mérida. You can get off at any of the stops, and then re-board later on. The fare is MXN 125.00 (equivalent to USD 10.00) or USD 12.00.

Autoprogreso http://www.autoprogreso.com

Turibus http://www.turibus.com.mx

Awesome - thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Autoprogresso route is the way to go. I took a look at their webpage. I liked the idea of the Turisbus option too for the double decker open air bus. I would assume my time in port would allow taking the Autoprogresso bus to Merida and then the Turis bus?

Awesome - thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Autoprogresso route is the way to go. I took a look at their webpage. I liked the idea of the Turisbus option too for the double decker open air bus. I would assume my time in port would allow taking the Autoprogresso bus to Merida and then the Turis bus?

Merida is a short 30 minutes or so ride. You should have plenty of time to see this fine old city and get back to Progreso with time to spare. The Turibus is a good idea, I had forgotten all about it. Good way to get the layout of the city and if you see something that looks interesting to you, hop off and hop back on when ready to proceed. If you are concerned about going on your own Autoprogreso is a good and safe way to go. The ships tours are generally way overpriced and you end up just being part of a mob of tourist. Progreso also has a city tour, double decker bus for a couple of bucks that is a good way to get a view of the city. Just don't forget to watch out for the overhanging wires if you are on the upper deck.

• 2 weeks later...

Traveler and all, Can you give directions in Progresso where the $3 bus leaves for Merida and do they accept USD for the fare? Once in Merida, what are your suggestions to see and do you have any restaurants that you could recommend? We will be traveling with older adults and also our children and friends in their 20's. We older ones will go to Merida and the younger ones can go somewhere like Paradise Beach. Thanks for your input.

Thanks Traveler, I just noticed you're in Biloxi. I'm in Ocean Springs. We're going Jan 2 from Mobile. Merida looks like the best option while in port. No one speaks Spanish, will that be a problem?

Hi neighbor. I actually live in St. Martin. . It does help to learn just a few polite words. If you get out of the main waterfront area of Progreso you will run out of english speakers quickly. Merida is a very worldly city. People come to visit, study and live there from all over the world. Staying in the main center part of Merida language should not be a major problem. The people are vey friendly and helpful to tourist in need. On my first visit to Merida seveal years ago I stopped someone to ask directions, they walked with me 5 blocks out of their way to make sure that I did not get lost. It is experiences that like that make me go back every chance that I get.

Traveler. I couldn't agree more with your comments. Delightful city. Maybe I can get back to Merida and the Yucatan next year.

I fully intend to be living there in a couple of years. Got to get the Social Security coming in first. I fell in love with the area the first time I went there about 10 years ago. I go to Merida/Progreso a couple of times a year for land vacations in addition to the ship visits. Have made many local friends and plan on spending the rest of my life there as soon as I can break free and get this second retirement started.

Assuming you have the full day you should be able to do both without a problem. If you do ride the Turibus service be certain to ascertain the frequency with which buses will be making the loop. If there's only a single bus in service it may pass by very frequently, in which case you'll need to be careful about "hopping off" at any stop with the intent of being able to "hop on" soon thereafter.

The Autoprogreso bus takes about 45 minutes between the Progreso and Merida terminals, and operates about every 20 minutes or so. Be sure to leave enough time to return to your vessel timely.

Archived