Leti's on Stone Island...Mazatlan

breanth

My family and I are getting ready for our cruise and last Febuary we went to Stone Island on Mazatlan and had the best food ever at Leti's. We were just wondering if anyone had been over there recently and knew if they were still open.

Thanks,

Kelley

Oh yeah ...I'm so happy it's still open! It truly was the best mexican food that we have ever had. This cruise we managed to get a big group and I have been raving about Leti's and everyone is excited to go!

I'm going to have to try the shrimp quesedillas & garlic shrimp for sure...thank you!

This is our first time in the Mexican Riviera. We have always gone to Cozymel, Grand Cayman, that side, and we have done wonderful excursions. Everything is new here. I am scouring the threads looking for things to do. We have excursions picked out for our last spot Puerto Vallarta, but we are still looking for Cabo and Matzatlan. Anyway, my question to you is about Stone Island. Can you go here outside of an excursion. Did you go on your own? Can you please tell us about your experience here, or any of our stops if you have the time. Thanks so much!

Both water taxis are the same price and round trip so keep your ticket.

Can you take the water taxi from one location and then return to the other or do you have to return to the same location from where you started?

Leti's rates high with me. I always talk to one of the Snowbirds in the RV park next to Leti's to find out the latest about the restaurants.

We were there in Sept. and it was our favorite stop of all three ports. Surprising as we weren't expecting much out of Mazatlan. Anyway, I ate at Leti's and we set up "camp" next door at Carmelita's. I liked Carmelita's better because it had a few BIG umbrellas. We pulled 2 together to make a nice spot for our 2 families.

Both places were priced reasonably in comparison to US restaurants. HOWEVER, my advice is to bring pesos to Stone Island. We paid in US dollars and they only wanted to give us 10 pesos to the dollar vs. the 13 pesos to dollar currency exchange rate.

• 2 weeks later...

We were just there last week. Ordered coconut, garlic and spicy shrimp. It came with 2 plates of buttered rice and salad with native white cheese (yum)..also they had a pineapple dipping sauce for the coconut shrimp which was just so good! real fresh-grated coconut, none of the dried up stuff we usually can find here. So yea...that we really enjoyed that as well as the garlic shrimp. The spicy shrimp was just ok...if i could do it again, id get more coconut or garlic shrimp. Also had 2 bottled cokes and our bill was $30 dollars.. I felt it was well-worth it. :)

After that we sun-bathed on their wooden loungers.

The water was nice and warm but i wasn't expecting the sand to be so flat and didn't have a beachy feel to it. It was different from a lot of the beaches ive been to but it was still a nice experience.

Can you take the water taxi from one location and then return to the other or do you have to return to the same location from where you started?

They told us to show the land taxi driver on the "island" our ticket and he would know which dock to take back you to, which implies the tickets are different.

But I don't remember ever showing the water-taxi-guy my ticket. If there were a problem, I'm sure a couple of bucks would clear up any confusion.

I've used both. The closest one requires no taxi at all. The other one you will taxi from the ship to the water taxi dock, then at the "island" another taxi to your selected eatery. Then reverse. Figure about $5 for each leg - $20 bucks extra (total, not pp). You can get about six people in the back of the taxi comfortable (read:back of a toyota pickup).

If it's really hot, pay the 20 bucks and keep the wife happy.;)

• 2 weeks later...

The recommendation to carry pesos is a good one. Mazatlan is much less touristy than the other ports, and many businesses and restaurants just don't have the dollars and coins to make small change so they will round using the 10/1 formula. They're not trying to be deceptive. They just aren't as used to catering to tourists except in the areas you're probably not interested in visiting anyway, e.g. the Golden Zone.

Both places were priced reasonably in comparison to US restaurants. HOWEVER, my advice is to bring pesos to Stone Island. We paid in US dollars and they only wanted to give us 10 pesos to the dollar vs. the 13 pesos to dollar currency exchange rate.

The recommendation to carry pesos is a good one. Mazatlan is much less touristy than the other ports, and many businesses and restaurants just don't have the dollars and coins to make small change so they will round using the 10/1 formula. They're not trying to be deceptive. They just aren't as used to catering to tourists except in the areas you're probably not interested in visiting anyway, e.g. the Golden Zone.

I agree too. When on the Mariner of the Seas, I've gone to the ATM in Cabo to get pesos for the rest of the ports. :) The downside is maybe having some Mexican currency left over at the end of the cruise.

Archived