Which Mayan ruins would you choose?

canadagal

Morning! We are trying to decide which Mayan ruin to visit on a shore excursion. The toss up is between Altun Ha, Belize and Xunantunich: El Castillo, Belize or Tulum, Mexico. El Castillo looks interesting but what really concerns us is the long drive to El Castillo and the poor road conditions. Any advice or suggestions. Thanks!

Wow and thanks to my fellow Canuck "Bootscootin" for the fantastic website link you provided. Took a long time to read it but it was a wealth of information. Now to finally escape the snow and visit a Mayan ruin is all that's on my mind but so many choices. Cheers to you Bootscootin!

I have only been to Tulum and Chitzinitza (sp?). The wonderful thing about Tulum is that it is right by the water and it is absolutely beautiful. I think it is a good site to visit for the first time. It's very interesting, but not too big of a site to be overwhelming. Chitzinitza is huge and it was SO HOT when we were there that we could not manage to see it all.

I highly recommend Tulum. You will not be disappointed.

I'm going to Belize for the first time in April and we are doing the Cave Tubing!

Mbisson and Joyride, thanks for sharing your webshots..... helps in making the decision. I think we will do Tulum and Altun ha........neither one of us thinks we can survive the 6 1/2 shore excursion to El Castillo and over bummpy roads.

We did both Altun Ha and Tulum last January, and enjoyed both of them greatly. They are so different that we didn't feel that there was any duplication in the two excursions. Tulum was such a beautiful setting, right on the ocean, while Altun Ha is more of your traditional jungle-style setting.

Morning! We are trying to decide which Mayan ruin to visit on a shore excursion. The toss up is between Altun Ha, Belize and Xunantunich: El Castillo, Belize or Tulum, Mexico. El Castillo looks interesting but what really concerns us is the long drive to El Castillo and the poor road conditions. Any advice or suggestions. Thanks!

In Belize I'd choose Xunantunich over Altun Ha because its a bigger site with an AMAZING view from the top of El Castillo (the largest structure at Xunantunich, and one of the largest in belize). The drive out there is almost 2 hours, but the highway you take out there wouldn't be considered "poor road conditions." The only bumps in the roads are what the locals call the "sleeping policemen" which occur every once in a while to get cars to slow down around towns, etc.

Here is some more info on Xunantunich: http://mayaruins.com/xunantunich.html

We just got back 01/07/05 and my daughter did the Xunatunich Ruins and Marimba Lunch. She said it was the best tour of our whole cruise. The steps to the ruin are quite steep she said and then when you get closer to the top they are very narrow and you have to do them sideways. The lunch at the hotel was marvelous she said.

For the Altun Ha Ruins (and the Zoo and other stops) we highly recommend Margaret Montero who owns Belize Exclusive (along with her partner Desmond Tillet), email: mdstourstravel1@yahoo.com and please mention that Chris and Agatha from New Jersey sent you to her. Go to: http://www.*****/tours.html then scroll to the bottom of the page.

26_20_1.gif

The actual Altun Ha Excursion is 3-1/2 hours (Altun Ha is located 32 miles from Belize City on the northern road which usually takes between 50 and 60 minutes to get to Altun Ha). The prices quoted were $30 USD per person (group of 7 or more) OR $33 USD per person (1 to 6 people). The entrance fee to Altun Ha is included in these prices (there is a credit card service charge of 5% if payment is made that way). It also includes $5 USD per person Belize Tourism charge.

Margaret met us where the tender drops you off at the pier. She was standing near the gate with a sign with our group name on it and she was parked just around the corner. The van was a late model Ford with air conditioning. They also have a second larger van for really big groups and for emergency backup. Inside the van she has a large cooler with complimentary water and sodas.

With Margaret as our guide, she took us past many local sights and explained all about Belize and its people and customs. She was also our personal guide at the ruins. On the way back she helped us to find reasonably priced local cashew wines and was willing to do whatever it took to make our stay in Belize memorable. In short, she was GREAT!!! Our party of eight was so happy with her that we tipped her an additional $40 above and beyond the cost of the tour.

We cannot give a higher recommendation. ~Chris :cool: :cool:

Hi to all my fellow Canadians... :)

I was in Altun Ha during xmas... it's ok. Not very big but if you've never seen any mayan ruins it's not bad. Here are my pictures:

http://community.webshots.com/album/242997477dxIwmK

I was on a tour with the NCL Sea. Paid $49 (incl. entrance fee to the ruins, a tour of Belize City, a bottle of mineral water, and a free drink of your choice, I took the local beer).

Have a nice trip!

roge from Montreal

I already put in my two cents about Belize and recommended Belize Exclusive. If you go to Tulum, wear your bathing suit under your clothes. Tulum's beach is amazing.

Also, be forewarned that the high-speed tender ride to Playa del Carmen to catch your bus, is the pits. It stinks of diesel and it is a rough ride (they advise you to sit in the rear and they pass out little plastic bagiies for you know what.

Most of the tour people stop at a big gift shop on the main highway on the way to Tulum. The prices are negotiable but things are a lot cheaper when you actually get to Tulum, although the selection is not as broad. If you love to snorkel you might also consider Xel Ha combined with Tulum. For these excursions, too many things can go wrong if you book privately. I seldom recommend this, but stay with the cruise line's package.

~Chris :cool:

I know this is off topic but may be useful: I've been twice on the ferry from Cozumel to Cancun and haven't had the issues that Chris experienced, except it is a little rocky while you are tendered or pushing off. But once going, it's fine and depending on where you sit, you'll get some water spray. It's at least half an hour, 45 minutes max. I get very motion sick and have not had to take anything for the ride.

Back to Belize, we didnt do the Mayan ruins, but FYI, we walked around the port a bit before getting on the ship and there was really nothing to see or do - not like Cozumel! :) It was a little uncomfortable the further from the port we strayed...

The one we took goes into Playa del Carmen, not up the coast to Cancun.

The boats we were on were catamarans and they weren't pleasant. We didn't experience any ocean spray since the boat was totally enclosed with windows. However, perhaps we were there on a windy day. I really don't recall. The ride was about 40-45 minutes each way. Again, remember to sit near the back. ~Chris :cool:

• 2 years later...

We are signed up with Belize Exclusive (12) for Jan '08 - really looking forward to Altun Ha. Understand there is a city tour included - would that be on the way back to the ship? Do they include bottled water on the tour? Tks.

I don't really know what to do except to avoid them. Ask Margaret, since she is the expert. Also be sure to tell her that CHris and Agatha said to say hello. She'll remember us.

Belize is nice and quite a few Americans are considering it as a place to retire. And, as I recall, the entire country has only one traffic light and it is near the airport. :D

I confirm what Christ said. The boat ride to Playa del Carmen was rough. You can not walk to the restroom without holding on to something. I remember what one px said that it was a real challenge in the restroom, it was like shooting at a moving target. They did hand out many bags. The ride was about 30 to 45 minutes. We really enjoyed Tulum.

Archived