Cruising w/disabled child-Adventure ocean??

We are cruising on the Mariner in April with our 3 children, one who uses a wheelchair to get around due to his disability. He is not mentally challenged in any way and gets around very well on his own with his chair. This is my husband and my 6th cruise, but only 2nd with our kids. We've never used Adventure Ocean but want to this time with our two youngest, including our disabled son. Can anyone tell me if this will be something he can participate in? He is 12, but I plan on keeping him with his 11 year old brother in the same group. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Shelly,

I do not have first hand experience but maybe this will help...

I am a full time wheelchair user so I notice others in chairs. On the Voyager last year there was a girl in a wheelchair who partipated a lot in the Adventure Ocean program. She was in the older group and my daughter was in the middle group so I did not visit with her but observed her partipating often.

I do not know your son's disability but it is best if you do not discuss bathroom issues with the staff and have your son take care of these things on his own or with your assistance. They have all kinds of sanitation issues that you do not want to get into.

Have fun

Jean

Yes!!! Sign him up, he'll have a great time. Just as the previous poster said, tell the AO staff of any special needs he may require their assistance with, when you get onboard, they'll be more than glad to help. After that- TURN 'EM LOOSE:D . Don't worry and enjoy your cruise:)

Yes!!! Sign him up, he'll have a great time. Just as the previous poster said, tell the AO staff of any special needs he may require their assistance with, when you get onboard, they'll be more than glad to help. After that- TURN 'EM LOOSE:D . Don't worry and enjoy your cruise:)

Terry,

JSR was telling the OP NOT to discuss any possible bathroom issues with the staff, he/she wasnt encouraging it.

Shelly,

I do not have first hand experience but maybe this will help...

I am a full time wheelchair user so I notice others in chairs. On the Voyager last year there was a girl in a wheelchair who partipated a lot in the Adventure Ocean program. She was in the older group and my daughter was in the middle group so I did not visit with her but observed her partipating often.

I do not know your son's disability but it is best if you do not discuss bathroom issues with the staff and have your son take care of these things on his own or with your assistance. They have all kinds of sanitation issues that you do not want to get into.

Have fun

Jean

Jean,

If in fact this child does need assistance using the bathroom, the that SHOULD be discussed with the staff. Putting others at risk is not right ie: your sanitation issue statement. What are you thinking? I hate it when people think about "me and mine" first". They have "sanitation issues" for a reason.

Jean & Terry,

Thank you so much for your reassurance. I felt so much better after reading your posts. I was concerned my son may be turned down for their kids programs. As far as the "bathroom" issues, this shouldn't be a problem...we plan on taking care of that business ourselves and do not need assitance from any of the staff. We plan on pulling him out and bringing him back several times during the day.

I still would love to hear from anyone who has used RC's programs with their physically challenged child. Would love to be able to tell my son what he will be able to participate in!! Anyone???

On our last cruise, we observed a young child (7 or 8, probably) in a wheelchair participating in one of the activities of the Adventure Ocean program. It was some type of skit that the kids were doing in the middle of the Royal Promenade.

The only thing that I can think of off-hand that I saw children doing that your son wouldn't be able to participate in was the kids marching through the dining room singing a song - because they used the steps to get through all 3 levels of the dining room. However, all of the children weren't participating - it may have been just the younger ones.

We notice these things because we also have a child with physical disabilities. (Too early to know if he'll need a wheelchair.)

I agree with the other posters. Be straightforward with the staff about his needs. The staff members on the Mariner all seemed to have college degrees in child development or childcare and were quite professional. I'm sure he'll have fun!

We brought my son's best friend, who uses a wheelchair. Everyone was soooo accommodating, it was great. The boys were 14 so didn't want to use the Adventure Ocean much (they did go to the teen club off and on) but I will testify that they LOVED every bit of it. Brandon (the special needs kid) thought it was the most perfectly accessible environment he'd ever been in.

The counselors will be extra good to your son, I am sure. One small bit of kindness I witnessed was the Cruise Director, coming straight over during the Captain's Cocktail party, and giving each of the boys a nice RCI hat. He said "The Captain really wanted me to give you these", which of course, the Capt probably knew nothing about. And they didn't leave my son out, or make the teen in the wheelchair feel singled out.

Also, I saw on another cruise, a talent show for the Adventure Ocean kids. Some kids had an actual talent, others did hula hooping or told corny jokes or whatever. But after each performance, the AO staff would say: "Here's a medal for you, because you're a winner!" and then he would say: "And when is that?" and the audience would say "Today and every day!!!" I swear, I cried just watching, and I didn't even have a child with me on that cruise. The sense of wanting each kid to feel great and be a winner and get a cool medal - it was just so darn caring. And I'm confident that will also translate into a great experience for your child.

PS If you haven't already, you'll want to reserve an accessible room; they have them in all price categories (inside, outside, balcony, and so on). Then there will be plenty of room to store the wheelchair(s).

PPS It wouldn't hurt to slip a $20 to your son's favorite counselor, early in the cruise, asking if he/she would keep an eye out to make sure he's comfy and having fun. Not necessary (as they are paid much more than the staff who rely on tips) but couldn't hurt.

Archived