The Baths

Grace1107

Hello:

I am so confused. I've read many posts (probably too many that's why I'm confused). Visiting Tortola on the Freedom in three weeks. I would like visit the Baths.

It is my understanding that we need to use a ferry and a taxi to get from the pier to the Baths. Is this correct? I noticed Speedy's has a 9:00 AM departure and a return at 12:30Pm. Is this enough time to enjoy this area? How far from the ship to the ferry?

I also read about Patouche tours. I understand that you are not on the beach but go off the back of this catamaran in order to go through the Baths and the water is deep. Is this the case?

I am traveling with my Mom, Aunt and Uncle, while they are adventureous and fairly healthy, I just don't want to physically challenge them too much. :) How physical are the Baths?

Sorry for so many questions and I appreciate any help anyone can be.

G

Hello:

I am so confused. I've read many posts (probably too many that's why I'm confused). Visiting Tortola on the Freedom in three weeks. I would like visit the Baths.

It is my understanding that we need to use a ferry and a taxi to get from the pier to the Baths. Is this correct? I noticed Speedy's has a 9:00 AM departure and a return at 12:30Pm. Is this enough time to enjoy this area? How far from the ship to the ferry?

Your ship will dock at Tortola. The Baths are on a neighbouring island called Virgin Gorda.

Therefore to get to them you DO need to take a ferry and then a short taxi ride.

The ferry ride is 30-40 minutes long and actually quite scenic. The ferry terminal is a short walk from the ship dock (about 10 minutes). The taxi ride on Virgin Gorda takes about 5 minutes.

Personally I don't think a little over two hours(once you consider travel times etc) is long enough to appreciate The Baths but that is me - it may be enough time for you. Bear in mind that when you get to The Baths - you still have to walk down the hill - about 10 minutes and then through The Baths (at least 20-30 minutes - unless you really rush), then back up the hill - another 10 minutes. This would leave you with only about 1 hour to really relax and appreciate the area. Besides The Baths themselves (and I would REALLY allocate more than 30 minutes for exploring them), you have two lovely beaches on either end of The Baths and a nice restaurant and shopping area at the top of The Baths.

I also read about Patouche tours. I understand that you are not on the beach but go off the back of this catamaran in order to go through the Baths and the water is deep. Is this the case?

This correct - you should be comfortable swimming in deep (and sometimes rough) water.

It is a short swim BUT the water is deep and the last time we were there, it was rough. Many people have loved the Patouche tour - so it depends on how comfortable you are with deep water swimming.

I am traveling with my Mom, Aunt and Uncle, while they are adventureous and fairly healthy, I just don't want to physically challenge them too much. :) How physical are the Baths?

The Baths do require the ability to walk down a hill on a rough path (not a long walk but proper footwear like sneakers should REALLY be worn). Then to get through The Baths, you must squeeze through a narrow opening and occasionally crawl or (if short like me) waddle along for a short period in a low ceilinged area. You must also be able to climb (good sturdy short ladders) in a couple of places. I have bad arthritis in both knees and was able to do this but it was somewhat challenging. When we went my husband assisted me in a couple of spots. He also assisted a couple in their 80s who LOVED the experience and were glad that they had challenged themselves. So it really is up to you mother and aunt and uncle whether they are up to this. Oh and it's great fun!

Sorry for so many questions and I appreciate any help anyone can be.

G

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
The Baths do require the ability to walk down a hill on a rough path (not a long walk but proper footwear like sneakers should REALLY be worn). Then to get through The Baths, you must squeeze through a narrow opening and occasionally crawl or (if short like me) waddle along for a short period in a low ceilinged area. You must also be able to climb (good sturdy short ladders) in a couple of places. I have bad arthritis in both knees and was able to do this but it was somewhat challenging. When we went my husband assisted me in a couple of spots. He also assisted a couple in their 80s who LOVED the experience and were glad that they had challenged themselves. So it really is up to you mother and aunt and uncle whether they are up to this. Oh and it's great fun!

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question... When you say squeeze through a narrow opening, just how narrow do you mean? Did you see any "plus-sized" people doing this tour? :confused:

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this question... When you say squeeze through a narrow opening, just how narrow do you mean? Did you see any "plus-sized" people doing this tour? :confused:

I am definitely not skinny and I had no problems - nor do I think most plus-sized people would. There is only one really narrow spot and it has a bypass (that is a little more physically challenging - a rope is used to help climb up a rock) - so if you can do the squeeze - it is easier. I climbed up the rock using the rope (and believe me that means it is doable by most reasonably fit people) - I did the climb mostly because I wanted to see if I could do it with my bad knees. I think that unless one is very unfit or has very bad knees or is elderly (and as I said earlier a fit 80's couple did it.) or VERY large, one should be able to do it.

However it is easy to turn back at this point because it is near the beginning - and the beach where the Baths trail begins is quite nice - so if one can't make it through, one could at least see the beginning of The baths and get a feel for the place and spend time on a nice beach.

Thanks! I hate paying nearly double to take the shore excursion. I'm also thinking that walking down and back has got to be better than possibly swimming 100 yards to/from the boat! I'm not afraid of the water and can keep myself afloat, but that's a long way!

My family visited The Baths last week--wow, what an absolutely gorgeous place! That was the reason we booked the cruise, and we definitely weren't disappointed.

Our main concern was getting from Tortola to Virgin Gorda. With our ship docking at 7 AM and leaving at 3 PM (we had to be back onboard at 2 PM), we weren't sure about using Speedy's or Smith's because their afternoon schedules wouldn't allow us much time on VG. I'd read reviews about Egbert online but still wasn't sure about going with him since he doesn't have a website and rounds up customers by approaching them on the sidewalk (that is a turn-off to a lot of people). But on the way to the ferries, we were stopped by him ( I knew him because of his nametag) and decided to give him a try. His fee of $45 a person was $2 more than the ferries (they charge for the taxi in addition to the ferry ride), but since we would be dropped off at the beach, we thought it was a fair deal. It didn't take him long to round up six more, and we boarded his boat (a very nice one!) just before 9 AM.

What a wonderful 25-minute ride across the Sir Francis Drake Channel--beautiful, beautiful! Being taken to the beach definitely was a plus, saving us the long walk down from the parking lot where the Top of the Baths restaurant is. We didn't have much time to jump off the boat, and I whacked my thigh and got a good-sized bruise, but that's okay--we were at The Baths for my birthday!!

He said he'd pick us up any time we wanted, so the group agreed at 1 PM. He said that because of the heat, that would be a bit long, but that's what we wanted, and he was fine with that. Well, Egbert was right--it was a bit long (we arrived at 9:30 AM); we were pretty much worn out and hot by that time. There weren't many shady spots on the beach, but fortunately we found one and were visited by a few chickens...LOL!

Egbert's boat was anchored out in Devi's Bay, waiting to pick us up (he'd made other trips during the day) and we saw him working on one of his engines. Worry-wart me was a bit concerned.

Promptly at 1 PM, he steered the boat close to the beach. We put our tote bags on the bow of the boat (where they later were put in storage for the return ride) and had to wade around to the back of the boat to board. It was almost neck-deep, and I had to hold up my neck wallet so my money wouldn't get wet.

On the ride back, he provided soft drinks, bottled water, or liquor.

With an hour before we had to be back on the ship, we weren't concerned about the time. That is, until he asked my husband and another male passenger to come stand on either side of where he sat to steer. As it turned out, one of the engines was out; he couldn't fix it himself because it was computerized. He asked my husband if he'd like to steer the boat (we were going half-speed), and as a former Naval officer, he eagerly said yes. The trip back took 45 minutes, and my husband was complimented by Egbert for his steering ability. Neat, neat, neat!

Although he dropped us off at a spot farther down than where we'd boarded in the morning, we still had plenty of time to walk back to the ship and even stopped at the market for some last-minute shopping.

We highly recommend Captain Egbert. Just be prepared to jump off the boat and get back on in deep water.

Here's info from the business card he gave us:

H & H Freelance Captain Services

Anywhere in the Us & BVI Waters

telephone: 284 443 5288

Look for him near where the tent market begins. And tell him you read about him online; I did, and he gave me a hug!

JBLWright

We did the tour with Patouche exactly one week ago. Swimming to the beach is not a big deal, you get lifewests if you want and the fins from the also included snorkel equipment are making it very easy to reach the beach.

Our guide from Patouche leaded our group snorkeling between the rocks to the small beach close to the "back entrance" of The Bath, from there we walked, climbed and partially crawled back to the main beach through the rock area. Even for plus sized people no porblem - we´ve seen a lot - their bodies are "flexible" enough to squeeze through some narrow rocks. No need to worry!

From this side, the part with the rope goes down, so you even don´t have to pull up on this rope, just slightly go down. No big deal either.

We had a great tour with a very kind guide, free snorkel equipment, free drinks (softdinks, beer, yummy rumpunch), music onboard to get in the right mood and the best part: Backwards he raised the sails and turned off the enginge - what a great time sailing through this beautiful landscape...

Just two things I´d make better the next time: Bringing a waterproof camera for taking pictures in the Bath area and some water shoes for the short hike. Wasn´t very comfortable barefoot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'd read reviews about Egbert online but still wasn't sure about going with him since he doesn't have a website and rounds up customers by approaching them on the sidewalk (that is a turn-off to a lot of people). But on the way to the ferries, we were stopped by him ( I knew him because of his nametag) and decided to give him a try. His fee of $45 a person was $2 more than the ferries (they charge for the taxi in addition to the ferry ride), but since we would be dropped off at the beach, we thought it was a fair deal. It didn't take him long to round up six more, and we boarded his boat (a very nice one!) just before 9 AM.

[JBLWright

We like to support the little guys, where around the port did you find Egbert? Does he carry a sign, wear a logo t shirt? Would like to find him. Should I call or just go onto Speedys if cant find him.

I just booked with him this morning. Yesterday he acquired a new boat that can handle up to 30 pax. His cell # is: 284-443-5288. His price is $45 and he meets you at the gate and drops you back off in a timely manner.

Can I take an ordinary camera through The Baths, or would I need a waterproof one? Thanks!

We just did the Patouche tour last week! Highlight of our trip. They will take a dinghy in for you and they were more than happy to take my beach bag with my large Canon DSLR in it while I snorkeled in.

What is the fee for Patouche? We have a group of 4, is there a minimum number they will take? How do you contact them?

Still trying to decide if we take the water taxi or a more assisted trip.

Thanks for the info.

I believe we paid $80.00 per person. We were on the catamaran that held 24 people and there were only 4 people, thats including us, that booked for that day so it was like we had booked a private charter.

We just looked up patouche on the internet and it took us right to their site.

We used Speedy's and went last week. It was AMAZING! Speedy's was great and we loved the baths and Devil's Bay (the beach after the baths). I do think if you are plus size you might have some trouble as I remember more than one tight squeeze but you can just do the first part and then stay at the original beach you arrive at.

I would bring a waterproof disposable camera. We had a digital (not disposable) waterproof camera and I was worried the whole time about banging it on the rocks. There are also parts where you need to hands. It would have been great to have our DSLR, but oh well. I guess you could bring a nice camera and keep it in a case while you climb around, but it might be a pain.

We left on the 9:00 ferry (easy to get to and find, easy to use). We would not have had enough time if we left on the 12:30 ferry. We thought we would have to wait for the 3:30 ferry, but they added another ferry that wasn't on the schedule...at 2:45 I think, so we took that.

We used Speedy's and went last week. It was AMAZING! Speedy's was great and we loved the baths and Devil's Bay (the beach after the baths). I do think if you are plus size you might have some trouble as I remember more than one tight squeeze but you can just do the first part and then stay at the original beach you arrive at.

I would bring a waterproof disposable camera. We had a digital (not disposable) waterproof camera and I was worried the whole time about banging it on the rocks. There are also parts where you need to hands. It would have been great to have our DSLR, but oh well. I guess you could bring a nice camera and keep it in a case while you climb around, but it might be a pain.

We left on the 9:00 ferry (easy to get to and find, easy to use). We would not have had enough time if we left on the 12:30 ferry. We thought we would have to wait for the 3:30 ferry, but they added another ferry that wasn't on the schedule...at 2:45 I think, so we took that.

Did you book Speedy's in advance or just find them when you got off the ship? I found the website. Did you do the "special" for $48/pp?

Thanks for any info you can provide! :)

We did not book with Speedys before the trip. We just got off the boat, walked to the left along the water and looked for the building with the red (?) roof. There were a lot of people asking us if we wanted a tour along the way. We just said no and a few were actually nice to tell us how far away Speedy's was. I would say it was about a 10 minute walk.

We paid $38 per person and that included the round trip ferry to Virgin Gorda and the round trip taxi/shuttle ride to and from the Baths.

I see now on their website the special that also includes drinks and lunch. I don't know anything about this though, but it looks like it might be a good deal!

• 2 months later...

I'm going to post this in a few posts that mention Egbert as many of you have ridden to the baths with him before... do you have pictures to post of the boat, etc?

We are booked with him but want to research him a bit better since we have a 2 year old with us.. I don't want the ride to be too bumpy, even less unsafe, for him. Also concerned that he would drop us off a bit far from the shore.. we are 2 adults, 32 years old, and in good shape, so I guess we will manage to take our toddler to shore with us no problem...?

Also when I spoke to Egbert he told me he has 3 boats and would put us in the slowest one, but for what I'm reading here I got the impression he has just one boat, maybe he's referring to other people he works with?

I'm going to post this in a few posts that mention Egbert as many of you have ridden to the baths with him before... do you have pictures to post of the boat, etc?

We are booked with him but want to research him a bit better since we have a 2 year old with us.. I don't want the ride to be too bumpy, even less unsafe, for him. Also concerned that he would drop us off a bit far from the shore.. we are 2 adults, 32 years old, and in good shape, so I guess we will manage to take our toddler to shore with us no problem...?

Also when I spoke to Egbert he told me he has 3 boats and would put us in the slowest one, but for what I'm reading here I got the impression he has just one boat, maybe he's referring to other people he works with?

Having been at the Baths when the seas are rough, I would be VERY nervous about trying to get a very small child to and from the boat. (In calm seas it would be easy). BTW - the ride WILL be bumpy at some point (but not for the whole ride) even in calm seas - this is NOT a little 5 minute boat ride - it will take 30-45 minutes. In your case. personally, I would take the ferry. Maybe someone who has done Egbert with a very small child will comment?

Thanks Zeno, this is exactly what I was afraid of (bumpy, getting off/on boat).. we might end up taking the ferry even though less direct, if we feel its safer. We want to decide in advance as to let Egbert know if we are not going with him.

• 2 weeks later...
I read somewhere that you have to go thru water....how deep is it?Do we need to swim or just walk in 1-2 feet water?I can't swim.....so I m wondering if I should go with Egbert.

Egbert goes to the marina and you have to take a cab to the Baths.

If I would have know, I would had taken one of those catamaran trips (more expensive). They anchor just a bit off, but there were no less than 3 zodiacs bringing people close to shore and taking them back when they wanted.

Ferry's are another option.

• 3 weeks later...
Having been at the Baths when the seas are rough, I would be VERY nervous about trying to get a very small child to and from the boat. (In calm seas it would be easy). BTW - the ride WILL be bumpy at some point (but not for the whole ride) even in calm seas - this is NOT a little 5 minute boat ride - it will take 30-45 minutes. In your case. personally, I would take the ferry. Maybe someone who has done Egbert with a very small child will comment?

I didn't do Egberts tour so can't comment on that, but you are absolutely correct about being nervous with small children getting to/from boat.

When we were there a few weeks ago, a small five year child had to get "rescued" by his father at Devil's Bay. It was VERY rough that day. Lo and behold, I see this father in the medical office on our ship a few days later and he had chipped one of he bones in his ankle during the "rescue".

I think I am a very good swimmer but also found it extremely difficult to get back out of the water onto the sand. I remember being knocked down three different times (and getting my swimsuit filled up with sand!) before being able to exit the water.

The water is nice for snorkeling and much calmer as you go out further, which was fine for me since I can swim well. However, getting out and probably the first 10-15ft as you swim out, there are large rocks/stones, some as big as 1ft long that are constantly getting swept around in the water underneath you and can hit you.

I did eventually find a much easier spot to enter/exit Devil's Bay. If you are looking at the beach from the water, it was right next to the beach boulders on the left hand side. Wasn't half as hard or rough there, getting out of the water than it was going straight up towards the beach.

And please do NOT let my post deter anyone from going to the Baths. It is an amazing experience with fabulous views and photo ops and I personally loved swimming at Devil's Bay. People all of ages/swimming abilities can find something to do there. You should just be cautious.

I read somewhere that you have to go thru water....how deep is it?Do we need to swim or just walk in 1-2 feet water?I can't swim.....so I m wondering if I should go with Egbert.

We went with Patouche http://www.patouche.com/index.html they anchor close in and some of us swam ashore and some took the zodiac right in to the beach. My DW swam in but took the zodiac back

Archived