Is it too far to walk?

thomasshawn

In Rome next week and I keep reading people talking about taking the train to the Ostiense station then metro B to the Colosseum. But I mapped it out and the Ostiense station is 1.2 miles from the station. Am I missing something? Is it just not safe or do people just not like to walk that much. 1.2 mile is a fraction of what we'll be walking that day.

Do we need to metro or bus to the Colosseum? Seems like we'll wait longer for a metro/bus than it would take us to just walk there.

Is there a better station to do this from while still avoiding the termini?

Thanks

Shawn

In Rome next week and I keep reading people talking about taking the train to the Ostiense station then metro B to the Colosseum. But I mapped it out and the Ostiense station is 1.2 miles from the station. Am I missing something? Is it just not safe or do people just not like to walk that much. 1.2 mile is a fraction of what we'll be walking that day.

Do we need to metro or bus to the Colosseum? Seems like we'll wait longer for a metro/bus than it would take us to just walk there.

Is there a better station to do this from while still avoiding the termini?

Thanks

Shawn

Here you have a Metro/Commuter Train network and you see how to skip Termini Station:

http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=385

Check here on these maps to find your bus options:

http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=383

http://www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=384

And here is the planning tool to find the schedule:

http://infopoint.atac.roma.it/bw.asp?lingua=eng

Regards,

HeinBloed

Shawn, something clearly isn't clear! ;)

The Ostiense train station and the Piramide metro station are basically next door to one another - when you get off the train, simply look for the square, red signs with the big "M", indicating the metro. (To see the area in detail on a google, build a map of Viale delle Cave Ardeatine). Travel north on the metro (direction Rebibbia) for two stops (pass Circo Massimo) to the Colosseo station. Exit the station and you are facing the Colosseum, just across the street.

You can walk it, it's mostly through a residential area until you get to Circus Maximus, but it will take time.

Another option is to walk across the traffic island and get on the #3 tram (currently running as a bus while track work is completed) if you prefer to travel above ground. I like this method because I like to see the area and because the tram goes through the park on the Celian hill and "bursts" out at the Colosseum, kind of dramatic.

The metro is like subways anywhere and you should take normal precautions. Do remember that most cruise visitors are hitting the metro during morning rush hour while Romans are trying to get to work, so it will be crowded and folks will be in "morning" mode.

There are two ways to connect to the #3 tram (currently running as a bus during track work) from the Civitavecchia regional train.

(1) Get off the train at Roma Trastevere, exit the station into the piazza and get on the tram/bus at its origin on the right side of the piazza. You are almost guaranteed a seat getting on here at the beginning, and you'll have a short (about 15 minutes) tour of the Trastevere and Testaccio parts of Rome on your way to the Colosseum.

(2) Get off the train at Roma Ostiense, walk about a block northwest from the station to Piazza di Porta S. Paolo. Look for the tram tracks on the street and the tram/bus sign that will say "Porta S. Paolo".

You'll know you are close when the tram/bus climbs uphill into the Celian hill park. There is one stop in the park itself, the next stop will be on the eastern side of the Colosseum.

Thanks for all the responses.

Euro Cruiser, you mentioned both Roma Trastevere and Roma Ostiense.

one better than another?

I chose Ostiense simply because it seemd to be about as close as I could get to the Colosseum w/o hitting termini.

one more quickie question: I've read the Palantine box office is the preferred location to buy tickets for the Colosseum. I assume that is somewhere on the SW side of the Colosseum close to the start of Palantine Hill and the Forum? Easy to find after getting off the metro or buses you mentioned?

Thanks, just the last minute questions as I go over the plans for each stop

Regarding the two train stations, if time is the most critical factor in your decision, Ostiense is faster. Trastevere will cost you an additional 10 - 15 minutes in most cases. I like it for the view of Trastevere along the way, but that's me.

The Palatine box office is suggested because there is usually no line, or only a very short one, while the Colosseum often has a long line. The Palatine box office is located on Via di S. Gregorio, about halfway between Circus Maximus and the Colosseum, on the Palatine side of the road. If you take the #3 tram, you'd get off at the stop in the park and walk back down the hill, following the tram line, to Via S. Gregorio. There is a set of stairs down to the street and the crosswalk at the traffic light - the ticket office is right there.

If you take the metro, you'd walk past the Colosseum (it would be on your left), past the Arch of Constantine and on down Via S. Gregorio. The ticket office will be on your right coming from this direction, about halfway down the street.

Archived