Freedom of the Seas

This is from the news release in November:

One feature the company will share now, in keeping with its "freedom" theme, is the great freedom of space planned for the new ship. Freedom of the Seas will have some of the largest guest staterooms and the most spacious balconies in the industry. One reason for the roominess? Freedom of the Seas will have full-size, yet space-saving, flat screen TVs in 100 percent of the guest staterooms and public areas.

The first-in-the-industry flat screen TVs dovetail with other technologies onboard, earning Freedom of the Seas the distinction of being the most digitally advanced cruise ship at sea. The new ship will be free of wires by having extensive WiFi capabilities and connectivity for regular cell phones. Other functions will enhance the ship's security, navigational and environmental-management systems.

I also read that they will have a way to cover the pool at night to make it a large dance floor. And since it will have a Royal Promenade like the Voyager Class, hopefully it will be longer and have more cute stores or restaurants/bars!

I knew I could count on this board to give me the scoop...I've been out of the cruise loop for a while due to my recent move from MA to FL...but got my Crown and Anchor mag...and was very interested in the prebooking for C and A members on the Freedom....so exciting...a friend of ours has taken several of these inaugural voyages...and has always gotten very good rates...

Now my question is...he usually takes the transatlantic voyages that bring the ships over from the Shipyard in Europe...is that the same as the inaugural cruise...or is the inaugural cruise considered the first cruise the ship makes with its planned itinerary??? Sorry if silly ???

Thanks.

I have enjoyed sailing with RCCL and have loved the voyager class ships and have a cruise booked on the Serenade in December, but I think that for our next cruise we are going to try something like windstar cruises.

We will not be taking our daughter next cruise and would like to get away from the ships that cater more towards family. I would like to try Freedom of the Seas but I think that it will be just to large.

Got a note from my TA today. Most of the info was not news, but this was, at least to me:

(detailed Itineraries to be finalized by 1/30/05).

Pretty weird that that was in parenthesis. I let her know that I am interested in deck plans too. Here's the rest of the info, in case any of this interests you.

Freedom of the Seas Information

Will be the world's largest cruise ship when she enters service Spring 2006

158,000 gross registered tons

1,112 feet long

184 feet wide

28 feet draft

21.6 knots cruising speed

15 passenger decks

3,600 guests double occupancy

1,800 guest staterooms

4,370 guests total occupancy

1,360 crew

Will sail 7-night Eastern/Western Caribbean itineraries from Miami (detailed Itineraries to be finalized by 1/30/05).

Freedom of the Seas builds on the popular Voyager-class ships and will feature the Royal Promenade, rock-climbing wall and ice-skating rink.

Freedom of the Seas will feature some of the largest guest staterooms and the most spacious balconies in the industry.

Full-size flat screen TVs in every stateroom.

The ship will feature extensive WiFi capabilities and connectivity for regular cell phones.

Bplazo - mega-ships are not for everyone. That's why they keep the small ships around! Like you, we will be on the Serenade later this year, and I have heard only good things about it, even from people who were complaining! (The things they were complaining about were things I thought I would like.) I know people who have been on both Voyager class and Radiance class, and like the Radiance class better. I'm interested to go and find out for myself.

Does anyone know if passengers will be allowed on the trans-atlantic crossing on Freedom of the Seas?

I know for Mariner that answer was "NO". I spoke to one of the ships employees (running one of the hangliding booths at Coco Cay) and he was involved with Mariner's trans-atlantic crossing. The ship was still being completed during the crossing with many decks getting carpet and final trim work. That doesn't sound too inviting for passengers. Some of the lounges were still being finished too.

Shipbuilding is a huge business. If they can take advantage of 12-14 days while it crosses over I can't blame them for completing some of the inside work then.

We crossed on the Serenade of the Seas and they were still working on the ship prior to the maiden voyage. They only took approximately 1000 paying passengers and it was the best crusie ever. Still hoping they may do this for the the Freedom of the Seas.

Archived