Splendor 10/11-1018 Review

katt

We got off of the Splendor yesterday and had a really great time. After having been on Spirit Class ships lately which we love Splendor was a very pleasant surprise. Here is a short review.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn LB Airport having driven in on Saturday. We stayed there on a Sail and Park Package and it was good. An older property but our room was quite large and very clean. The package included a drink at their bar and 2 free breakfasts up to $7.95 I thinkit was at their restaurant on the penthouse level.

We were lazy on Sunday morning and requested the 11:30 shuttle. It did not leave the hotel until 11:45 or so but we were not in a huge hurry. It was around 12:15 by the time we got to the pier and I was dreading the lines. We were very surprised at how quickly everything went. We checked in outside and got a zone 7 card which was already boarding so we just walked on and were eating lunch around 1:00 - much quicker than when we have gotten their earlier.

We ate lunch and dh hit the Deli immediately as usual and I cruised around and found plenty I liked. Our room was ready at 2:00. We dumped our stuff and explored. This was the pleasant surprise. We found we liked not knowing exactly where everything was - we were constantly running into little surprises and found it fun to just explore even if we had to do some back tracking. We really liked the 2 spas on deck 10 that are on the very sides of the ship kind of tucked away in the semi outdoor eating area over the pool in the middle of the ship.

I planned to do a day by day review but the days kind of blended together so will just include the things we really liked or found interesting.

We spent quite a bit of time in the aft Spas and Pool especially on sea days. These are adult only and we never saw kids back there. We enjoy children and also spent time in the pool by the outdoor theater but sometimes we wanted it a little quieter. We noticed in the mornings before 11 or so the spa's (any of them) and pool were not busy at all. We also never had a problem finding a place to sit by any pool we chose no matter what time it was. There certainly were some chairs being saved but not anything like we have seen before and since there were plenty of open ones it was not an issue.

The slide was great even though I am closer to 60 than not I love them. A young girl on the slide told me her grandparents who are 80 and 81 had gone down it the day before. I want to be 80 and still able to and want to go down the slide!!!! Hmmm wonder if she thought I was the same age? LOL Even if you do not want to go down the slide - it is a great place to take pictures when it is open and you are in port. I noticed a few people going up to just take a picture of the port.

We ate lunch and breakfast in the Lido Buffet every day and dinner in the main dining room late seating. At lunch there was quite a choice from the Mongolian Grill, Deli, Pizza, another Grill with Hamburgers and Hot dogs, Tandoori (indian), a Rotisserie, and regular buffet foodincluding a huge salad bar. We went up and checked out the Rotisserie but did not eat there. It was never busy - I wish they had a seafood restaruant up there as they do or at least did on Liberty.

We ate at Pinnacle the last night and very much enjoyed it but I would choose not to sit near the rail. The opening partially over looks the buffet on 9 and the noise etc rather interferes with the ambiance. Otherwise it was very good but way too much food for us.

We really enjoyed Movies under the Stars and made use of the free blankets that were supplied. There was also popcorn for $1.50 you could purchase but we were always too full for more food. During the day we watched several concerts on the big screen while in the pool. That was fun.

We did not do any tours as we have been to all three ports many times and taken tours in the past. We just walked around and hit a few favored stores. I really liked a stained glass place in Cabo and have several nice pieces. It was very very hot in all three ports - sunny no rain but very humid. We are used to heat living in the desert but the humidity got to us very quickly - back to the ship for more food, nap and pool time.

The three sea days were overcast or partially overcast and cool as they usually are leaving and returning to Long Beach. We had some rough seas on the second sea day as Tropical Storm or Depression Patricia was in the area and the ship sailed a bit further out to avoid most of it. I am very prone to motion sickness but took a Bonine and was fine.

We saw dophins from our balcony as we were leaving Cabo which was fun. We were watching for them as we saw them there the last time we were on this cruise.

I don't know if I am the only one but I find the bed coverings very heavy and too warm for me. I found this to be true on other Carnival ships not just Splendor as well. No big deal we just use the sheet or make the room very cold. LOL

The decor on the ship was pink but I was expecting something much brighter and in your face and I thought this was more subtle at least for Carnival.

Getting off the ship was quite easy we had zone 8 and were off by 10. Getting the Holiday Inn shuttle back to the hotel was a bit of a pain just because there was a mob there but it worked well.

If you have any questions just ask and I will try to answer.

I went on that same cruise. I too had a wonderful time. Although I didn't have a balcony we saw dolphins, two sea turtles, and a bunch of these flying fish. It was really cool. This was my first cruise and it was truely amazing. I had a hard time adjusting yesterday and my office was continually moving, driving was also a interesting experience.

The food was great, the ship was amazing, ports were fun, activities were enjoyable, and overall just a great cruise. Experience of a lifetime. I agree on the bed sheets, I always woke up sweating like crazy. Also the comments about how cold the ship was were very true. My wife always had to have either a blanket or jacket with her. They keep the ship very cold for some reason, but not a big deal at all.

I went on that same cruise. I too had a wonderful time. Although I didn't have a balcony we saw dolphins, two sea turtles, and a bunch of these flying fish. It was really cool. This was my first cruise and it was truely amazing. I had a hard time adjusting yesterday and my office was continually moving, driving was also a interesting experience.

The food was great, the ship was amazing, ports were fun, activities were enjoyable, and overall just a great cruise. Experience of a lifetime. I agree on the bed sheets, I always woke up sweating like crazy. Also the comments about how cold the ship was were very true. My wife always had to have either a blanket or jacket with her. They keep the ship very cold for some reason, but not a big deal at all.

Archived