Mangrove Tunnels and Museum Tour...worth it!

CastorFache

Sure, I know what you are thinking...sounds boring. Well it was not!

We loved it! Our tour guide was a local named Rudy who was a gregarious man with an intimate knowledge of the terrain. Rudy was quick to learn our names, what we hoped to see other little bits of info. He was attentive to everyone's needs, especially the two young children on tour with us.

The first part of the trip was by boat, captained by "Captain Mike" another local who knows his stuff. He was great, and seemed to work with Rudy extremely well. First we went into the harbour in hopes of seeing some Manatees...well there were none in the harbour, so we headed up river for another look. We found them...this was perhaps the highlight of my trip...seeing an actual manatee! We also saw crocodiles and iguanas along the river.

Then we headed into the mangrove "tunnels" to get a closer look at some local nature...while in the tunnels Rudy pointed out bats, birds, fish, plants, and just about anything else of interest. I have never seen such a variety of life in one place...it was amazing.

Rudy pointed out to us that the entire trip we never left the city limits of Belize City...imagine being lucky enough to live somewhere where this is at your fingertips.

Once we reached our midway point, Rudy told us that we would transfer to a bus, where we would do a quick tour of the city before making our way to the Belize Museum. The city is small, but Rudy kept us informed of what life was like there. I have to say that I could have spent the entire time just chatting with Rudy and asking questions about the city...but that is just me.

The museum is located in the former Her Majesty's Royal Prison, which was rebuilt and moved inland years before. This was a very interesting location,and though the museum was small, I found that I was lost in the history. Being a history buff and having a good knowledge of Belize on my own, I broke away from Rudy at this point to explore on my own.

The whole tour was only 4 hours, but it was the highlight of my cruise. I highly recommend it. But be sure to ask for Rudy!

Was this booked through the cruiseline or was it an independent? Please provide contact info if you can.

How much walking was involved? I think this might be great for my mom, but she's a slow walker and gets winded easily.

Thanks in advance for the info.

We booked it through the cruise line, and it was not very expensive ($35 I think).

There is not a lot of walking...except in the museum, and that is rather small, about the size of a medium sized house.

Most of the time you are sitting.

Archived