Pier Confusion Long Beach or San Pedro??

Roxxy

I have rented a car (Budget) from LAX and arranged to return it to the Long Beach Airport. After reading some of these posts the location 'San Pedro' keeps coming up??? I thought that the cruise ships (Mariner in paticular) left from the pier in Long Beach? Should I be returning my car to San Pedro instead?

I have rented a car (Budget) from LAX and arranged to return it to the Long Beach Airport. After reading some of these posts the location 'San Pedro' keeps coming up??? I thought that the cruise ships (Mariner in paticular) left from the pier in Long Beach? Should I be returning my car to San Pedro instead?

No you're fine. Budget doesn't have a drop off for San Pedro, so you'd have to return it to Long Beach and take a cab or shuttle to San Pedro anyway.

If you can arrange to drop it off at this location:

249 EAST OCEAN BOULEVARD #104

LONG BEACH, CA 90802 US

Location code LG2

You are waaaaay closer to the San Pedro port, than dropping off at Long Beach Airport.

The only close car rental return in San Pedro is Enterprise. They have a drop off location at the bottom of the San Pedro Crowne Plaza.

Tying the replies together more clearly:

- Budget's office is in Long Beach on Ocean Ave. Drop the car there, not at LGB airport.

- Mariner (and all other cruise lines except Carnival) use San Pedro, about 8 miles from the Budget office. Only Carnival uses Long Beach with very rare exceptions.

- You will have to take a cab from Budget to San Pedro.

If the purpose of renting a car is solely to get from LAX to San Pedro consider a shuttle out of LAX. It will be far less hassle...you might even consider it if you're staying at a Long Beach hotel in the waterfront/downtown area since you will have to hire a cab no matter what.

Tying the replies together more clearly:

- Budget's office is in Long Beach on Ocean Ave. Drop the car there, not at LGB airport.

- Mariner (and all other cruise lines except Carnival) use San Pedro, about 8 miles from the Budget office. Only Carnival uses Long Beach with very rare exceptions.

- You will have to take a cab from Budget to San Pedro.

If the purpose of renting a car is solely to get from LAX to San Pedro consider a shuttle out of LAX. It will be far less hassle...you might even consider it if you're staying at a Long Beach hotel in the waterfront/downtown area since you will have to hire a cab no matter what.

Just want to repeat the info here for everyone else. The Mariner will sail from the Port of Los Angeles, which is in San Pedro. Some hotels in Long Beach may shuttle cruisers to the World Cruise Center in SP...so if you are staying in Long Beach and taking a shuttle or taxi for a non-Carnival cruise, make sure you tell your driver to take you to the port in San Pedro.

Wow, Thanks for clearing that up..I was worried. We are spending a few days in San Diego before the cruise hence the rental car. Any idea of the taxi fare from the Budget depot?

Taxi fare from budget to San Pedro Pier was around $20, beware the budget sign was very hard to see, the office is downtown in a big building and you go behind the building to a parking garage to return the car. The signs are there but little and hard to see.

I just wanted to say, thank you, to all that take the time to give good info on what may seem trivial to others. We have been cruising out of San Diego for awhile and now San Pedro and Long Beach seem daunting to take on. I really appreciate Mothwoman's details on returning the rental car. Nothing worse than panic setting in when you are trying to get something done, in a strange place and traffic all over (We live in a small town with about 5 stop lights total!) and the signs are small and hard to find or see, what is Budget thinking? Anyway, thanks to all.

Archived