Xunantunich, Lamanai, or Cahal Pech?

Bootscootin

Cruised on the Explorer in Nov '04 and our excursion was put together through the ship. We had a guide by the name of Pedro who was part Mayan heritage and worked for the Archaeological Institute of Belize.

Years ago he and a young friend were roaming around this treed knoll east of San Ignacio and his friend fell into a hole full of bones. Needless to say, there were screams and he managed to help his friend out. Well the two went back to town (school) and reported that what had happened and it appeared that looters had been in the graves of their Mayan ancestors.

That was the start of the process and today Cahal Pech, although called a palace is more of a manor of a well to do community figure of the region (akin to the position of governor).

While there is little to date found of the ruins of the surrounding communities of the servants/farmers of the local area, they have not excavated/uncovered the site in total. In some cases to do so would only allow greater weathering and detrioration of what is presently covered by foliage and years of decay from dirt and leaves.

The only problem on the tour is that it is a 2.5 hour bus ride to the site, and even on a Belizian deluxe tour bus, you really should go to the washroom prior to boarding at the terminal or at the museum at Cahal Pech....TRUST ME!!!

Of interest are the murals inside tha museum which were painted by Pedro himself...overall, a beautiful, informative, and relaxing afternoon climbing through ruins, courtyards and passageways.

Ciao for now!!!

I did the river tour and Lamania in Feb(booked through NCL). I would go again. The ruins are in a jungle area that was just beautiful. We saw and heard howler monkeys(they are smaller than they sound) The ruins were stunning. It took all day to get there and return to the ship, but it was my favorite tour on my last cruise.

Archived