TA or book direct

coloxray

I have been on 3 cruises (nor NCL) and have gone through a travel agent. My TA is no longer in business so do I look for another of just book my cruise directly with NCL?

Another question is whether to book my airfare with the cruise or on my own? My TA booked it through the cruise and told me that was best because if the flight was late or my luggage was missing the cruise line would take care of it.

the general consensus here at CC on booking flights with NCL is a resounding "NO". they give you the worst flight times usually and you can often find better prices on your own.

there is no consensus at all on the TA issue. some swear by their TA, some only book directly. it definitely pays to do your homework on prices. i have booked both ways, but i feel personally that if you are committed to a certain cruiseline, it pays to book direct. i feel like right now i know more about the minute facts about NCL than my TA does, who know a little bit about every line but is not an expert in any one. i also believe that if a problem arises, one less person in the telephone chain is a more efficient way to solve it.

addition: the best way to handle the losing luggage problem is to cross pack, arrive early for your flight, and fly a couple of days before your cruise leaves.

When it comes to airfare I've found the best prices myself except for an overseas open jaw flight. NCL actually got me a better price than I could find on my own so I let them do it. Usually though, it's best to book the airfare a bit early also since rates seem to go up as flight time approaches. Of course we live in unique times and anything goes. ;)

Archived