Carry On Cruise

Sacstephen

I decided to write out what clothes we would need for each day and then I strictly pack by that list. If there is room, I add an extra top or two. Toiletries are easy as I buy the refillable 3 oz bottles for shampoo, sunscreen etc. Contact solution can be bought in 2 oz containers which is plenty for DH to use on a cruise.

Just about the only thing of travel sizes that can't be refilled is the aerosol spray cans. We refill just about all of our travel items rather than pay the exorbitant price for the convenience size and especially products that aren't available in travel size.

I am truly impressed and in awe of those who can take long cruises with just a carry on. DH and I will have one large suitcase, two small rolling 22'' bags and one rolling carryon (which will have wine and champagne in it along with shoes, etc.). I find that it isn't the clothing that takes up as much room as do shoes, hair dryer (yes, I know they have them on the ship, but I choose not to spend an hour trying to dry my hair with their models), snorkel equipment, etc. For clothing I pack one pair of capris, one pair of long pants, one pair of jeans and two pairs of shorts with a few different tops. For formal night - a cocktail dress (we only attend one of the two offered). I wear a warm-up type outfit for traveling and bring a jacket for evenings topside. Throw in a night shirt and a few unmentionables, and I'm good to go. But then, of course, there are the bungi cords, power strip, door decorations.... Ha! :p

That's the only way we travel since an airline lost our bags in 1995. This is what my husband and I use. It's only 17x14x8. We each have our own bag with clothing, and his suit and my formal clothes are packed in 2-gal. baggies in the tote bag. He doesn't use his tote.

We've pretty much got it down to a science. We pack lightweight mix-and-match clothing in the same color ranges. We used these bags on our last 4 vacations -- one of which was a 10-day Panama Canal cruise!

You really can do it!

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemID=46&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C292%2C1967&iProductID=46&sortBy=0

I know this well sound like a bizarre question to many of you, but has anyone managed to comfortably do a week long cruise just using what you could take on a "carry on" bag - in other words, no airline checked luggage?

Yes I have. I take only casual tops that can be washed out in the sink at night so I can wear the same top twice. I wear my good slacks on the plane to and from the port and alternate 2 nice tops for dining - we always do anytime dining when available so usually are not eating with the same people each night. I gave up the gown thing for formal nights after the first two cruises - dress pants and a snazzy sparkly top are now my formal night attire. And yes, if I absolutely have to I will use the ships laundry and do a load on a sea day. As for the liquid restriction, there is no item I just HAVE to make sure I have so I buy inexpensive shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste once I get to the port city and just leave it on board. It's worth the $5-6 not to have to check luggage. Another thing is I take socks and undies that I'm replacing anyhow. Wear and dispose so that there is room for a few souvineers on the return (Note: Make sure you buy the new stuff BEFORE you leave home so you don't come home to no undies - LOL).

It can be done if you try. I'm a pro - our summer vacation each year is a week on the motorcycle. If you think getting a weeks worth of things for one person in a carry on is tough try getting a weeks worth of things for 2 PEOPLE into a T-Bag.

I am truly impressed and in awe of those who can take long cruises with just a carry on. DH and I will have one large suitcase, two small rolling 22'' bags and one rolling carryon (which will have wine and champagne in it along with shoes, etc.). I find that it isn't the clothing that takes up as much room as do shoes, hair dryer (yes, I know they have them on the ship, but I choose not to spend an hour trying to dry my hair with their models), snorkel equipment, etc. For clothing I pack one pair of capris, one pair of long pants, one pair of jeans and two pairs of shorts with a few different tops. For formal night - a cocktail dress (we only attend one of the two offered). I wear a warm-up type outfit for traveling and bring a jacket for evenings topside. Throw in a night shirt and a few unmentionables, and I'm good to go. But then, of course, there are the bungi cords, power strip, door decorations.... Ha! :p

When your suitcase containing ALL of your clothes is lost it is amazing what

you can get by with on a 10 day cruise! It does cut into the night life while the clothes on your back is being laundered!

Now for those of you on the recent Panama trip who noticed the old guy in the same blue stripped shirt, you know why!;):)

We did a 30 day on the Crown Princess. I had a 22'' and a large day pack. I got both on the airlines. We did "dine any time". I didn't need a tux. I used the Rick Steve's method of packing. It worked out just fine. We met a lot of other who also packed lite and got more tips from them also.We are taking two long terips next year. First will be a Clipper trip (34 days) from Tahiti to Panama. Shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Second is a 60 day trip next year fron San Francisco to Sydeny and back to L.A. Not going to have to worry about cool weather. Will just layer it up in New Zealand.;)

Ed:cool:

What cruise line, ship and date are you doing you 60 day trip? I would love to do that...

Archived