Price drop and no SBC?

mikishel

There was a price drop for our upcoming Radiance 10 day Mex Riviera cruise. Decided to upgrade from E3 to a D1 at no extra cost. Originally we had a $100 SBC from the TA as an incentive for booking with them. I asked about the SBC and got this message:

“This email serves to confirm that you will be receiving a $100 shipboard credit per cabin for your reservation on the 12/11/09 Radiance of the Seas. This amenity is based on your current pricing and promotion, and may be subject to change with any pricing or promotional changes to your reservation. “

Does this mean I could not have gotten an SBC instead of the upgrade or, gasp, if there is another price drop I cannot get an SBC from RCL as well as the $100 SBC from the TA?

No, it doesn't; just some time in redoing paperwork and calling it in.

As long as your price doesn't drop, then they don't lose any money. Price drops always come out of the commissionable fare. The Non-Commissionables, which no one really knows what is included in there, do not go down in a price drop.:rolleyes:

There was a price drop for our upcoming Radiance 10 day Mex Riviera cruise. Decided to upgrade from E3 to a D1 at no extra cost. Originally we had a $100 SBC from the TA as an incentive for booking with them. I asked about the SBC and got this message:

“This email serves to confirm that you will be receiving a $100 shipboard credit per cabin for your reservation on the 12/11/09 Radiance of the Seas. This amenity is based on your current pricing and promotion, and may be subject to change with any pricing or promotional changes to your reservation. “

Does this mean I could not have gotten an SBC instead of the upgrade or, gasp, if there is another price drop I cannot get an SBC from RCL as well as the $100 SBC from the TA?

If it comes up, you will need to talk to your TA. Nobody here can tell you what your TA is going to do for you in your circumstances. Yes, the wording gives them the right to, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will. Per the contract wording, RCI could already be charging fuel surcharges.

I agree with the other posters. Please check with your TA before you switch cabins or take a price drop. The reduction in OBC could be more than what you saved.

Of course, after final payment I have been told its fair game. You get the money back as OBC so it does not affect your TA commission.

I agree with the other posters. Please check with your TA before you switch cabins or take a price drop. The reduction in OBC could be more than what you saved.

Of course, after final payment I have been told its fair game. You get the money back as OBC so it does not affect your TA commission.

sorry but this is incorrect, the obc is deducted from the commissionable portion and so your TA's commission does go down.

sorry but this is incorrect, the obc is deducted from the commissionable portion and so your TA's commission does go down.

You burst my bubble.:eek: How do you know? I called Royal Caribbean and thats what they told me.:confused: Of course, no two agents will say the same thing.

An upgrade was obtained (i'm figuring at or near the same price as the original booking since this was not stated). The $100 SBC was retained. If the taxes were not that much higher (also not stated) isn't this what they call a "win-win" situation?

Please clarify cause when this happened to me & the missus we thought of it as a "win-win." Upgrade, same price, taxes a few $ higher, SBC same.

Were we "taken?"

I guess you would then. Does the Royal Points affect your commission if used towards a cruise price? I was also told by C&A that it was as though I paid the money myself and does not affect the TA commission.:confused:

I would like to know the answer to this also. We have a great TA that we have used for years, but don't want her to have to work for little or nothing if we use points for the "free" cruise for 2.

I would like to know the answer to this also. We have a great TA that we have used for years, but don't want her to have to work for little or nothing if we use points for the "free" cruise for 2.

It depends on who you ask. One TA said she ended up with no commission when we used points to end up with a free cruise. Another TA told us not to be concerned about using our RCL credit card points because RCL still received full payment and there was no bottom line change to her commission. We really doubt the rules are different for different agencies so have to trust that the agency is happy with their offer to us. Now we simply ask up front if 1.) the OBC and/or pre-paid gratuities offered by the agency are dependent on the current price quoted, 2.) does the agency have a problem with handling any price reductions we find (since if we did not have a TA we could handle these ourselves directly with RCL) and 3.) is there any charge for doing so. We always do that via email so we have the response in writing prior to booking with the agency.

If you are not using an agency who offers you an OBC and/or pre-paid gratuities for taking over your booking you are leaving money on the table.

I am happy with my upgrade. I wanted to get off deck 7 because I read somewhere on these boards that workers walk on the life raft covers, and I wanted more privacy.

Original price for the E3 was $799. It is now reduced to $729 (actually the E1s were reduced and E3s are at $1,000, don’t understand that) and now the D1 is pricing at $799. So there was a potential additional OBC of $140. I wasn’t sure what they would do with the original $100 so I asked for the upgrade instead. I didn’t want to be only $40 ahead and still on deck 7. I’m now on deck 9.

It really is a win-win situation . We are platinum, so we got $200 off to boot. So I guess I shouldn’t complain. This is a 10-day cruise at a great price. I was just wondering what to do if the price drops even further. Inside cabins are now selling at just $499!

Archived