Any Advice on Chichen Itza Mayan Ruins?

Yes, it's worth it. Consider yourself lucky that you are at a port that is only a 2 1/2 hour drive away. I once took the local bus from Cancun........it took us almost to Tulum doing the milk route for the locals before the driver then headed North again towards Chitzen Itza. That was the only way of getting there years ago other then driving yourself. It took us almost 8 hours on that bus trip one way so thankfully we were staying there for 2 nights. Yes, it was worth the trip. The only other ruin that can compare with it is Tikal in Guatemala. I think you will enjoy the site. How often will you be in the area to travel to Chitzen Itza...........my advice go for it.

We just returned from a 3 week tour of Mexican pre-Columbian sites from Mexico City to the Yucatan. I have to admit all the sites were grand, each so different from one another. Two years ago we did Copan, Tikal, Bonopak, as well as several others. Uxmal came the closest to the Classic Mayan cities of Quatemala and Honduras, and consequently my favorite from this last tour.

The building called the Nunnery gives a real sense of this place being lived in by actual people. The Magician Temple is unique of any other building I have seen. The Palace is delightful, abounding in the Maya Arch. The buildings are relatively close to each other with good shade, no long walks in the sun as at Chichen Itza. It is a magical place.

The tour said lunch at a nearby Hotel restaurant. We ate at two of the three (on site and across the street) and they were very good with fabulous settings.

Having had my fill of climbing Temples I just gazed at Chichen Itza's Observatory from the unshaded vast dirt plaza area. It is impressive. But the Ball Court takes ones breath away if you had seen other smaller ones. It is huge and apprently had seven players on each side (as opposed to one). There are two sections to this site, the Viejo (early Maya) and the Nuevo (Maya and Toltec). It is interesting that in the Old section buildings are modest and in the New grandiose.

If you have never visited a Maya pre-Columbian site I would recommend Uxmal as a good start. But enjoy either one you choose and have a wonderful time. Remember to take water, head covering and your camera.

Have a great trip, Mary Ellen

PS. It is my opinion that an overnight at Progresso is in order, there are other ruins and Haciendas to see here as well as the delightful Zocolo (central Plaza) area of Merida.

It appears that a long posting I did yesterday never made it onto the board; so I'll try a shorter version.

The best way to do the Mayan cities is as Mary Ellen did, staying at the major sites. You obviously can't do that on a one day shore excursion. That said, you have four good choices, which I'll list from least rigorous to most rigorous.

1) Merida. A great colonial city with good restaurants, fantastic murals in the city hall, good museums, a nice market, and romantic carriage rides. RSSC offers either plain transportation to Merida or a tour with a carriage ride.

2) Dzilbilchaltun. This isn't as lovely as Chichen and Uxmal, but it's [pretty nice and is close to Progresso.

3) Chichen Itza. Rugged and fantastic. My wife and I both became fascinated with this city when we were in grade school (200 miles apart, so it shows how compatible we are).

4) Uxmal. Even nicer than Chichen Itza.

You can't go wrong with any of these choices, and it is a shame you have to choose only one. If you want a long trip, choose Uxmal. If you want a shart trip, either Merida or Dzilbilchaltun would be great, depending on whether you'd rather see a Colonial city or a Mayan one.

Archived