Too risky?

nda_roxybabe

I'm getting ready to purchase our airline tickets and I'm looking into flying in the day of.

We would arrive at 5 am (ship sails at 4pm) so you would think it would be fine and there'd be plenty of cushion time but I'm not sure. I tend to be anxious about these kinds of things as I'm a huge planner/ organizer.

:eek:

Would you do it?

Ah yes, these would have been good things for me to include in my OP.

The 2 of us will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale from Phoenix, Az. We will have one checked bag each. I haven't chosen an airline yet but with the prices right now it will probably be US Airways. Also the date will be Dec. 22nd

There have been so many horror stories from members that tried to fly in the day of their cruise. I would not chance it. I would fly in at least the day before, relax a bit and play tourist while waiting for cruise day. Same flying out after the cruise, I would wait until the day after. Just too many thangs that can go wrong, Murphys Law.

You SHOULD be okay, you MAY not be... that is the only answer anyone can give you. In this day and age, overbooking is becoming more common, delays of several hours into a day or two depending on the airport and airline are not uncommon... you have to weigh it out, most people would be okay, but it IS a risk... how high a risk, it's hard to say... but people do it everyday.

Alright, just these few responses decided for me.

I'm getting anxiety even thinking about how stressed I would be about stuff going wrong. I don't think ice would be a concern as it sure isn't going to snow here in Arizona and my layover would be ATL. even so, I'll fly in the day before :D

Thanks!

I am one of the flying in the "day of" horror stories. My flight couldn't make it from Birmingham, Alabama to Orlando, Florida in the middle of September. Personally, I wouldn't chance it, but if you won't have a nervous breakdown if you happen to miss the boat, then go for it.

I'm getting anxiety even thinking about how stressed I would be about stuff going wrong. I don't think ice would be a concern as it sure isn't going to snow here in Arizona and my layover would be ATL. even so, I'll fly in the day before :D

Thanks!

Good idea... even though the chances are slim, there is still a chance and why have such anxiety before vacation? This way you can get in, relax, have a nice dinner... wake up nice and refreshed for vacation. That is one of my favorite parts... not rushing!!!!

Ice on a flight from Phoenix to Fort Lauderdale? :rolleyes:

It is a LOT colder at altitude and ice is always a factor. Having done a same day flight though I don't think there would be a problem, but I'm not putting any money on it.

Always the day before. This has saved us flying from Boston more than once. We also try to get an early flight the day before. That way we get to spend most of the day in the nice Florida weather, and if there are any delays we have more flights to get us down. We also always book direct to decrease our chances of having issues at other airports.

What if the OP's cruise is in June?? lol

lol, well I would hope it would be safe then but the northeast has been getting some bizarre weather so who knows! :rolleyes: I thought I saw that it is a December cruise though. ....Yup yup, she said it is December 22.

Please fly the day before and keep the anxiety from getting the best of you.

Also - on the ice thing ----

We live in New Orleans, rare for ice of any kind. BUT there was a problem from where our plane was coming from. So, December, weather can affect you just about anywhere. We weren't going anywhere near ice while flying.

FOG also affected a flight - anytime of year. A plane from Florida that my 14 yr old daughter was taking alone from N.O. to St. Louis. It came in late because it was fogged in at Tampa, she missed her connection in Houston and (at 14) had to challenge the SW gate employee for a seat on the next plane vs. standby. She got her seat and arrived in St. Louis at 7pm - vs. 11:30am scheduled. (Can you imagine my fright that she could be stranded in Houston? - since it was weather related she was on her own).

We made one silly move with flights about 10 yrs ago. We took our daughter - at 13 - to NYC with us for the weekend before our first every repo cruise from NYC. On the day of the cruise, we had a 1pm flight to fly her home to New Orleans. Thankfully the flight was on time, we were able to put her on the plane and go to the ship. BUT, what if there had been a problem?! I could not have just left her in the middle of NYC! We knew NO ONE there! We had just started cruising and were clueless. We were so fortunate! NEVER would I do that again - But then she's 24, lives in New York and travels internationally now. :)

Kathy

Thanks!

I sat in Atlanta once, on the runway waiting to be de-iced for 14 hours. It does happen.

I would never, under any circumstances, fly in the same day. And, I certainly wouldn't consider it Christmas week....no way.

I'd never take the risk of flight delays or overbookings, mechanical problems, cancellations, etc. which would make me miss the ship.

Flying in the day before means peace of mind and gives a great cushion for problems that might arise.

lol, well I would hope it would be safe then but the northeast has been getting some bizarre weather so who knows! :rolleyes: I thought I saw that it is a December cruise though. ....Yup yup, she said it is December 22.

LMAO! I completely missed that 2nd post!!!! HA!!

Aside from the weather, there is another issue to consider. On our cruise just a few weeks ago there was a family who flew in the day of and the man's bags never made it at baggage claim. Apparently the flight was "heavy" and they chose to remove some passenger bags and send on a later flight. He had to board the ship with no luggage and wait until we arrived in San Juan to receive his bags from the airline. They did send it there free of charge and reimbursed him for clothing expenses on the ship, but still...

Archived