Too risky?

nda_roxybabe

In addition to weather, there are also other unforseen events that can delay your arrival. I had a trip to Taiwan a month ago. On the flight from Dallas to Tokyo a lady in first class became "unbalanced" as the captain put it. We were 1.5 hours over the Pacific Ocean, when the lady decided to strike a flight attendant. The closest US airport was San Francisco. 1.5 hours back to SFO, 1 hour on the ground while the police removed the passenger and the plane took on more fuel, another 1.5 hours to get back where we started. A 4 hour delay on top of an already 13 hour flight. Needless to say I missed my original connection to Kaohsiung. Had to book into Taipei that night and take the high speed rail into Kaohsiung the next morning.

It was a business trip for me and I was going to be there 2 weeks so it really didn't impact me too much. It would have been another story if I would have missed a connection or a embarkation on vacation.

Just saying.......anything can happen

Just seems silly to worry about things that are so far out of one's control, given that each day, thousands of flights arrive right on time and millions of people get their luggage without problems. Everyone who had a cruise scheduled in mid September 2001 missed it, regardless of whether they were scheduled to fly in 0, 1, or 5 days in advance.

Ah yes, these would have been good things for me to include in my OP.

The 2 of us will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale from Phoenix, Az. We will have one checked bag each. I haven't chosen an airline yet but with the prices right now it will probably be US Airways. Also the date will be Dec. 22nd

For a Dec. 22nd cruise, I'd fly in two days ahead of time. And, I'd get to the airport really early so as to be one of the first passengers to check in for the flight. I will never forget a young couple I saw in an airport in NJ trying to check in for a flight to Orlando the week of Easter. It so happened that Passover that year (2002) was the same week. Obviously the airport was packed. I overheard that this young couple with their toddler had a cruise booked on one of the Disney ships that departed that afternoon from Port Canaveral! Yet their flight was overbooked. The mother was crying and carrying-on something fierce---they'd checked in later than they should, and their were no seats for them. In the end, the airline gave offers to other passengers willing to give up their seats for a flight on another day. The mother (and lapchild) flew to Orlando on their originally-booked morning flight. The father was put on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale, and he was going to rent a car in order to drive to Port Canaveral and meet his wife and the ship. I gleaned all this while sitting in the airport for hours trying to grab a standby seat of my own (I had no specific time frame though). I must say, it took me 4 days to grab a flight that week, but the people-watching was worth it. Bottom line is: Especially during the holidays, do not take chances missing the boat. The heartache, anxiety, or even the money saved isn't worth it.

I'm getting ready to purchase our airline tickets and I'm looking into flying in the day of.

We would arrive at 5 am (ship sails at 4pm) so you would think it would be fine and there'd be plenty of cushion time but I'm not sure. I tend to be anxious about these kinds of things as I'm a huge planner/ organizer.

:eek:

Would you do it?

I would have no problem taking a red eye out the night before arriving at 5:00 a.m. from Arizona (I live in Calif. and I would do it if the price was right).........I don't think you will have a problem.......

The only problem I would have is lack of sleep....I can't sleep on a plane:p

Check and see if you can get a connection in Houston or Dallas maybe........Atlanta sucks:cool:

Alright, just these few responses decided for me.

I'm getting anxiety even thinking about how stressed I would be about stuff going wrong. I don't think ice would be a concern as it sure isn't going to snow here in Arizona and my layover would be ATL. even so, I'll fly in the day before :D

Thanks!

ATL is notorious for delays, canceled flights, etc.......... I wouldn't do it but then that's my comfort zone. If I were flying from say Tampa to FLL (like the other poster said they were)and especially on SW who has awesome on time records, sure do it, if there were flight problems you could find a different way to get there. But all the way across the country?

Connecting flights can get snowed in if they are coming from Chicago, NYC or one of MANY cities that get ice and snow. So even if your flying out of AZ and connecting in ATL that doesn't mean bad weather can't mess up your flight.

I'm a notorious overplanner and I can't tolerate surprises so I wouldn't do it, but who's to say it's not right for you?

Good luck whatever you do, but I do have to say FLL is a fun place to spend a day or two before cruising out!!!

Cheers, Carole

I would have no problem taking a red eye out the night before arriving at 5:00 a.m. from Arizona (I live in Calif. and I would do it if the price was right).........I don't think you will have a problem.......

The only problem I would have is lack of sleep....I can't sleep on a plane:p

Check and see if you can get a connection in Houston or Dallas maybe........Atlanta sucks:cool:

I LOVE ATL, so many cool shops to keep you busy between flights, and that cool tube train thingy that shoots you through the airport!!!! LOVE IT!!! Actually the only airport I really hate is Chicago :mad: now that is a confusing place!!!

I'm getting anxiety even thinking about how stressed I would be about stuff going wrong. I don't think ice would be a concern as it sure isn't going to snow here in Arizona and my layover would be ATL. even so, I'll fly in the day before :D

Thanks!

I was going to suggest that. :D

A delay in NYC or Chicago can effect every airport on the East Coast or Midwest and trickle down into where you're flying into or out of. Plus, Atlanta isn't immune to ice storms and other bad weather that time of year. And on the 22nd of December? That's practically begging for trouble. ;)

is it a direct flight? I'd worry more about connecting flights.

The worst connection I ever had in my life... through Budapest on my way to Moscow. We were the last ones on the plane... and our luggage was a memory at that point.

(good think we got stuck in Moscow for 9 hours... our luggage caught up to us...)

is it a direct flight? I'd worry more about connecting flights.

The worst connection I ever had in my life... through Budapest on my way to Moscow. We were the last ones on the plane... and our luggage was a memory at that point.

(good think we got stuck in Moscow for 9 hours... our luggage caught up to us...)

Yes, it is a direct flight from Raleigh to Miami....

The only time I've ever arrived the day of the cruise was the first cruise I ever took. When we finally got to the boat, I felt like I'd run a marathon or two! After that, we've always arrived a minimum of the day before. Good Luck and have a GREAT time!

Brenda;)

I THINK You should,Fly in the week before you leave,Find the closest hotel,That has at least 60 floors,and the room should face the pier that, carnival will be docked at,Then in the morning,you can sprint across the street,with your luggage,to be first in line:p:D;)

Thanks!

FYI: A co-worker was flying from Virginia to California last week, with a layover in Atlanta. Her flight in Virginia was delayed and then her flight from Atlanta was cancelled. Both due to "weather." Good thing her friend just didn't drop her off at the airport--she was stuck in Virginia for 2 days! :eek:

Ah yes, these would have been good things for me to include in my OP.

The 2 of us will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale from Phoenix, Az. We will have one checked bag each. I haven't chosen an airline yet but with the prices right now it will probably be US Airways. Also the date will be Dec. 22nd

Join us on our Arizona Cruisers board at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=420611&page=660

If it were me, I would definately go a day early. Winter time flights are always hosed up and even though it it seems there won't be snow in the forecast, ATL airport is horrible for on time fights. Just ask my boss who has to fly a lot. I wouldn't chance it. Plus, you would be very tired once you got onboard leaving that early. Go in a day early, sleep in the next morning so you are good & rested so you can party the first night. :)

Ice on a flight from Phoenix to Fort Lauderdale? :rolleyes:

Not on that flight but if the plane is coming from up north to Phoenix and the plane doesn't make it then you have a problem. We were once delayed in Charlotte in October due to an early season snowstorm in New Hampshire - the plane we were boarding to take us to Florida was coming from New Hampshire and was 4 hours late.

To the OP - I have been through the scary situation of thinking I wouldn't make it. We were booked on a 6pm flight the day before and due to delays couldn't make our connection. I thought that still gave us plenty of cushion - I even had a list of backup flights. EVERYTHING was booked solid up through the time the ship sailed the next day - no other flights they could get us on, no luck with alternate airports - and I was a complete wreck. They finally did find us seats the next morning so we did actually end up flying the day of - very stressful. We got no sleep wondering if the morning flights would be on time, they were also delayed, and we thought we'd miss our connection then. After that we book the morning before and not evening. It's worth the extra day off work to not have that stress of possible missing the cruise you've been planning for so long.

We flew in the day before when we sailed out of Miami, but when we did the Mexican Riviera cruise we flew in the morning of departure, and that was very early to lessen the chances of delay. I wouldn't chance a cross country flight on the day of sailaway.It was so nice getting on the ship after a good nights sleep in a nice hotel.

Archived