Seattle to Seattle AK cruise, Leave ship in Victoria on return?

George25923

We are doing an Alaskan cruise next May, leaving and returning to Seattle. We have always wanted to go to Victoria. It just so happens when we return Victoria is the last stop prior to Seattle. We plan to leave the ship in Victoria. We are doing all our own travel arrangements. When I booked the cruise with NCL he checked and said no problem but leaving the ship in Victoria is not mentioned on the invoice they sent me. I told them I must have something in writing listing what we plan to do. The ship gets to Victoria at 6PM on Saturday night and leaves Victoria at 11PM getting to Seattle at 8AM on Sunday. We would waste a day traveling from Seattle to Victoria at the end of the cruise. Question: has anyone ever left the ship prior to the normal return port or done anything similiar to what we are planning?

Thanks

Em

You will not be allowed to leave the ship before you return to Seattle due to the "Jones Law"

To do so will incur a fine for the ship which they will pass on to you.

That is the reason why a US to US cruise will always call in a foreign port

They're planning to disembark at a non-US port, so I'm not sure the Passenger Services Act regulations apply. They're not being transported from one US port to another. I've heard of many people departing early from Caribbean cruises at non-US ports (or USVI/Puerto Rico because they are exempt from the Passenger Services Act) with no problems.

George25923:

It won't be listed that way on your itinerary or cruise documents because you're legally booked for the entire cruise. The cruise line doesn't create "individual" itineraries like that, especially because you have paid for the entire cruise and could decide to stay onboard for the full time.

I'm not sure what they would give you in writing though. I believe that you need to make arrangements onboard for early disembarkation with the Passenger Services Director/Hotel Director, who can help you with exactly what you need to do. You'll have to pay your onboard account, etc. and be ready to self-disembark with your luggage.

beachchick

Does this person need to notify the Candians of his intentions since they will be remaining in Canada longer the 1 day NCL indicated to their government? Since this is Canada, may not be an issue but they will probably need to go through Canadina immigration at the pier is my guess.

Eric813

Eric813

Future Cruises -1

Pride of America (NCL) - November 7-14, 2009

Past Cruises - 10

Carnival Pride (CCL) - June 6-13, 2009

Holiday (CCL) - March 3-8, 2007

Jewel (NCL) - July 2-9, 2006

Explorer of the Seas (RCI) - November 6-13, 2005

Imagination (CCL) - June 12-17, 2000

Inspiration (CCL) - July 14-21, 1996

Britanis (Chandris) - December 1985

Rhapsody (Paquet) - December 1983

Festival (CCL) - December 18-25, 1982

Norway (NCL) - December 1980

We get requests like this all the time. You need to send something to NCL requesting this, usually they need a reason why in writing and they need to approve it. Also you need a passport to cross the border back into the US. You could be charged a penalty and definitely will not receive a discount.

ugen312:

What do you mean you get requests like this all the time? Do you work for a cruise line? When I booked the cruise the guy left me on the phone for a minute or two and came back and said no problem. I sent him an email making changes in our booking (deleted their airfare and Seattle hotel) and mentioned in the email again that we wanted to get off in Victoria and he didn't say anything about a written request.

Em

I work for a travel agency. The requests that we have handled, the cruise line has requested the passenger fax them a letter stating what they want to do and they have to get it approved. Every cruise line is different but I would contact them via phone to verify your request and get something in print.

Archived