Safety in Belize

elmofrog

We're heading on a Carnival cruise to Belize in February and have heard some rumors about safety concerns there.

We were planning on doing the River Wallace and Altun Ha excursion, but my mother has gotten very concerned about the safety in that region. When we looked it up online, we've found a lot of information about the crime rate and using precautions. She doesn't like the idea of the armed guards at the cruise port and heard someone say that she went on the same cruise and that Carnival recommended everyone stay on board at that port. I would think if it was that dangerous, Carnival wouldn't go there, so maybe the person was overreacting?

Is there any reason to be scared about the port of Belize (beyond the point of normal cautious behavior in any port)? If not, what can I do to calm her fears so we can enjoy this trip?

Thanks!

Yes, there is lots of crime in BELIZE CITY. Don't leave the ship and think you are going to walk around Belize City to go shopping with an expensive watch on your wrist or a pearl necklace around your neck without a problem. Most of the people who say Belize is not safe are the people who never leave Belize City. Saying Belize is not safe based on what people see in Belize City is like someone saying the USA is not safe because they spent 2 hours in downtown Detroit or Miami once or Mexico isn't isn't safe because they visited Tijuana once.

That said, when you get out of Belize City it is generally safe (as safe as just about any port in the Caribbean). So, you should be able to feel perfectly safe doing an Altun Ha and River Wallace trip. Don't let a few people who say they didn't feel safe in Belize City scare you away from visiting the real Belize.

Oh, and as far as the US Government website (or other websites) that talk about precautions visiting Belize. Yes, take precautions. But, if you look up almost every country it will talk about precautions you should take. Also, I always find it interesting to visit other countries websites and see what they say about safety in the US. If you read them you would have second thoughts about visiting the US due to safety (they make it sound like everyone in the US carries guns, you will get mugged for sure and if you visit California you will likely die because due to earthquakes).

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 2 weeks in Belize City for work in 2004. I am a white, female (in my 20's at the time) and while I think I got a lot of curious looks, everyone was very nice.

I frequently walked around during my lunch break, and would join the local staff of my company at different restaurants. I took cabs (almost all gypsy cabs hailed by the hotel or local staff for me) back and forth from my hotel (then the Radison, not sure if it still is) to the company's office everyday. I found the cab drivers particularly nice - this was right before the 2004 election and many of them wanted to talk US politics.

But, it is an undeveloped country and you will see the poverty if you go through the city. I would definitly dress down and not flaunt expensive jewelry or electronics.

Don't make your self a target. A friend of mine just got back from a cruise stop in Belize and was robbed of her camera. She was walking with her camera in her hand and the thief sped past on a bicycle . When he past her he just reached down and grabbed the camera and kept riding.

These type of things are not unique to Belize.

I have a Law Enforcement background of 22 years. Last week my wife and I, and another couple decided to leave the "terminal" area to go look around town by foot. I felt uncomfortable the second i left the shops and saw the iron security gate and the line of grown men begging at the exit gate. Walked one block and said to everyone "this is silly, lets turn around". Overreaction?? i dont think so. Its called instinct.

Tours are a different story. You are picked up in buses inside the terminal complex and head straight out of town. Alot different with a group of people then walking a back street by yourself in a port area of a large city.

Archived