What should we do?

waiting2go

Hello,

My wife and I just booked a last minute out of Port Canavaral. We decided to drive from Pittsburgh and fly back following the cruise, both for $ reasons, and the fact we like road trips. Question is, When should we leave? We figured Thursday evening to get there Friday about noon. Ship leaves at 4:00. I was thinking of leaving Wednesday night, to get there Thursday at noon, to hang out for a day and enjoy FLorida. What is there to do, and stay cheap right at the port? THe hotel would have to be close enough to walk to the ship, or have a courtesy shuttle..Sorry to blab on , and thank you for help.

Hello,

My wife and I just booked a last minute out of Port Canavaral. We decided to drive from Pittsburgh and fly back following the cruise, both for $ reasons, and the fact we like road trips. Question is, When should we leave? We figured Thursday evening to get there Friday about noon. Ship leaves at 4:00. I was thinking of leaving Wednesday night, to get there Thursday at noon, to hang out for a day and enjoy FLorida. What is there to do, and stay cheap right at the port? THe hotel would have to be close enough to walk to the ship, or have a courtesy shuttle..Sorry to blab on , and thank you for help.

My first question is, how are you getting your car home, or are you renting a car one way?

At any rate, it is a 1000 mile drive. I figure at least 20 hours. If you leave the day before, expecting to arrive at noon on the day the ship leaves, and anything happens that slows you down, you will miss the ship. I would recommend that you leave two days before and allow yourself a safety margin just in case something unexpected happens that slows you down.

Is this a round trip cruise (meaning it leaves and returns to the same port)? If so, you are purchasing one way airfare. It may actually less expensive to purchase round trip airfare.

There are no hotels within walking distance to the port. However, many of the rental car companies offer free shuttles from their rental offices in Cocoa Beach to the port. I know that Hertz and Avis do. So if you are renting a car, return it the day the cruise starts and take the shuttle to the port. If you are not renting a car, then you will end up parking your car at the port.

Thanks for the help. Plans just cganged, however. It was a rental car, but now we're flying in Thursday, shiould be at the port by noon or so. We just booked the Raddisson for Thurs. night, and WE CANT WAIT!!! I agree, and its peace of mind knowing we have some flex time for unexpected delays and such. Now that plans are set, any suggestions for Thursday day/evening?

Thanks for the help. Plans just cganged, however. It was a rental car, but now we're flying in Thursday, shiould be at the port by noon or so. We just booked the Raddisson for Thurs. night, and WE CANT WAIT!!! I agree, and its peace of mind knowing we have some flex time for unexpected delays and such. Now that plans are set, any suggestions for Thursday day/evening?

Rent a car and go visit Disney World (just kidding). If you've never been, you might be interested in the Medieval Times (dinner & a show) ...

http://www.medievaltimes.com/findcastles/kissimmee/

I was there in 1989 with my girl friend and her five kids. For four of the kids it was their first time. Our knight won and they had a great time. However, if you don't like chicken, don't go ('cause that is all that they serve).

Archived