Shark Ray Alley

dhay

Has anyone done this? We want to book a private tour of this but I have never done aprivate tour and I am scared of not making it back in time for the ship.

ANyone haveany good reccomendations of tour groups?

TIA!!

Hi- We looked at Star tours and Coral Breezes. Coral Breezes told me they changed the name of the tour to stingray alley because poaching has been so bad that there are not any nurse sharks around whereas Star tours promised we would see lots of sharks but they also were trying to upsell the more expensive excursion.

Has anyone done this tour at all recently to give me insight? Did you see sharks or is it rays just like the Caymans?

We've done the tour through NCL to Shark ray alley a few years ago. Last month we did the tour again with Coral Breezes to Sting Ray Alley. You are correct that the name has been changed because there are no more nurse sharks. We stopped at a place were the guides said that manatees usually stay. We took a look for them but there were a few guys "fishing" in the same spot.:(

As for recommendations I wouldn't hesitate to use Coral Breezes to go out and see the reefs and aquatic life.:D

You will not be disappointed.

• 2 months later...
We've done the tour through NCL to Shark ray alley a few years ago. Last month we did the tour again with Coral Breezes to Sting Ray Alley. You are correct that the name has been changed because there are no more nurse sharks. We stopped at a place were the guides said that manatees usually stay. We took a look for them but there were a few guys "fishing" in the same spot.:(

As for recommendations I wouldn't hesitate to use Coral Breezes to go out and see the reefs and aquatic life.:D

Did you go to Hol-chan park to snorkel because Star Tours is trying to tell me that there are nurse sharks in Shark Ray Alley in Hol-chan park but not in Shark Ray Village on the barrier reef?? Thanks

That's great to know, thanks!

Did you go to Hol-chan park to snorkel because Star Tours is trying to tell me that there are nurse sharks in Shark Ray Alley in Hol-chan park but not in Shark Ray Village on the barrier reef?? Thanks

Hi. We've been doing a lot of research on Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray Alley at Ambergris Caye. We haven't been there yet but will be next month. We're planning on doing our tour completely independently (booking our own flight through the airline and dives/snorkel through a local dive shop) instead of using an independent tour op such as Shoretrips.com or Ecological Tours. We've seen websites where some dive ops are starting to call it Sting Ray Alley instead of Shark Ray Alley. However the Hol Chan site still calls it Shark Ray Alley. I just talked to Ecologic Divers which seems to be a widely recommended dive shop on Ambergris Caye and they told me you would see nurse sharks at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley.

I'm not familiar with Shark Ray Village but I believe it is the barrier reef area off of Caye Caulker which is out off of Belize City. It may be that the Hol Chan/Shark Ray Alley area still has an abundance of them because it is a protected area where the area outside of the barrier reef may not be protected even though we've also seen posts where people say you'll see nurse sharks outside of the barrier reef when diving off of Ambergris Caye.

If you look at the Scuba and Snorkeling board there is a thread on the Fly-N-Dive tour to Ambergris Caye. One of the latter posts is by TxSmiles who talks about her fiance doing a 1 tank scuba dive off of Ambergris Caye and being dropped right into a whole bunch of nurse sharks. Also, one gentleman and his wife are on their cruise this week and they are doing the Shark Ray Alley Snorkel off of Ambergris Caye and are supposed to give us a review when they get back. So, hopefully they will tell us if they saw nurse sharks on their excursion. Hope this helps a little.

Archived