Cabin upgrade next to theater?

Linden Lea

We booked a GUAR HH and have been upgraded to a non-obstructed ocean view. We are pleased with this. However, the bad news is is that it's right next to the theater.Anyone know how noisy it will be in that location ??

What ship?

I would venture a guess that there will be a couple of nights that you won't get to go to sleep until after the last show.

It appears to me that you have attempted to set up countdown clocks using either Firefox or Safari. Those do not work for the C.C. countdown clocks. Use Internet Explorer to create and install the string, and then go back to using your preferred browser.

Alternatively, you can go in and edit the generated string for your first attempt to replace the single character following "11-1-2009" and before "=Beach" with the string "&image". :)

We got a late "bargain" rate on a VH balcony on the Oosterdam (Mexico for Chirstmas). It also looks like it is above the theater and wondering the same thing about noise though we usually attend the late show anyway.

Also there are only four VH cabins on the entire ship and they look quite compromised due to size, shape and forward facing wind aspect of the balcony compared to other verandah rooms.

So maybe this is not such a "bargain" verandah room after all. But with the upgrade fairy in action I wonder what happens to those who do sign up for this VH verandah room and do they actually get it since there are only four of them.

Or is it a loss leader and everyone else prior to our late sign-up got upgraded already and we are the ones who actually get what we paid for and will remain in VH?

Obviously, someone will have to get it. I guess it is like the HH rooms which are also few in number and most who sign up early for them get upgraded. But those who sign up later, is it pretty certain they actually end up in the obstructed view rooms?

Lots to learn here about all of this. This is not a deal killer for us, but we did get lulled into the nice upgrade offer we got for our last HH reservation, but we made that much earlier than our now VH reservation.

I would venture a guess that there will be a couple of nights that you won't get to go to sleep until after the last show.

It appears to me that you have attempted to set up countdown clocks using either Firefox or Safari. Those do not work for the C.C. countdown clocks. Use Internet Explorer to create and install the string, and then go back to using your preferred browser.

Alternatively, you can go in and edit the generated string for your first attempt to replace the single character following "11-1-2009" and before "=Beach" with the string "&image". :)

I did a while ago attempt to...How do you know I did as nothing is showing up on my postings?

How do I get rid of whatever it is?

Thanks

Also there are only four VH cabins on the entire ship and they look quite compromised due to size, shape and forward facing wind aspect of the balcony compared to other verandah rooms.

So maybe this is not such a "bargain" verandah room after all. But with the upgrade fairy in action I wonder what happens to those who do sign up for this VH verandah room and do they actually get it since there are only four of them.

Or is it a loss leader and everyone else prior to our late sign-up got upgraded already and we are the ones who actually get what we paid for and will remain in VH?

Obviously, someone will have to get it. I guess it is like the HH rooms which are also few in number and most who sign up early for them get upgraded. But those who sign up later, is it pretty certain they actually end up in the obstructed view rooms?

For the past year or so, the SZ, VH, HH, etc cabins don't open up for booking until after Final Payment day (or thereabouts). They are indeed "come on" prices used to fill the ship, and they are almost always overbooked, so that almost everyone gets an upgrade. Or maybe everyone who books one gets an upgrade, and they are filled by people who booked guarantees at lower levels - VH from the OV bookers, HH from the Inside bookers, and SZ from the Vx bookers. (I don't know that to be a fact, I'm just speculating.) In any event, your chances of actually occupying the VH are pretty small. :)

I did a while ago attempt to...How do you know I did as nothing is showing up on my postings?

How do I get rid of whatever it is?

Thanks

If you right-click on the little red X and choose Proerties down at the bottom of the pop-up you will get a pop-up window showing part of the string that is generated by the CC Countdown Clock utility. I recognize the first one as having been generated by either Firefox or Safari (probably Firefox), as it has a bad character following "11-1-2009" and before "=Beach".

If you go into User CP, Edit Signature again, you can replace that single bad character with the string "&image", then Save Signature, and it will work.

I don't recognize the source (browser) that generated your second attempt. I suggest you just delete the whole string and then Save Signature.

Have a great cruise! :):)

Thanks John:

I did it right except I put in the wrong date on the countdown clock...duh

I will now attempt to correct it.

By the time I get this right we will have 'sailed'.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help.

I don't see anything amiss on my computer...can't see the other clocks :rolleyes:

I used my Husbands computer to see if they would show up there but no luck there either.

I thought I'd deleted the others and so how can you see them?

Where do I delete them?

I don't see anything amiss on my computer...can't see the other clocks :rolleyes:

I used my Husbands computer to see if they would show up there but no luck there either.

I thought I'd deleted the others and so how can you see them?

Where do I delete them?

You don't still see the little red X's left of the good clock, and below? (Maybe they just don't show when using Firefox.) Those are corrupt clock URL's. If you go into User CP, Edit Signature I predict you will see two strings there that begin http://clocks.cruisecritic (etc) before after the good clock. Just mouse-over and cut each of them out. Then Save Signature.

EDIT: Yup, they don't show at all in Firefox, but you'll find them when you Edit Signature

Does anyone know the formula for assigning upgrades out of the bottom rung reservations like HH or VH?

Mariner Society points, first come first serve, random, certain travel agency rewards, past tipping history, past PIA history ;) ........

Thanks.

Hope this SwissMysts her paid for VH and gets a "real" balcony room but it is only a 7 day trip. Hey, does taking three HAL cruises in one year count too?

Does anyone know the formula for assigning upgrades out of the bottom rung reservations like HH or VH?

Mariner Society points, first come first serve, random, certain travel agency rewards, past tipping history, past PIA history ;) ........

Thanks.

Hope this SwissMysts her paid for VH and gets a "real" balcony room but it is only a 7 day trip. Hey, does taking three HAL cruises in one year count too?

It's a deep, dark HAL secret, usually attributed to the Upgrade Fairy. It appears that none of the things you mentioned matter except "random".

According to DutchByAssociation, getting upgraded from anything depends first of all on availability above you, and secondly "how much you paid". That is, if you book a VF guarantee and pay list price, you're more likely to get an upgrade than if you booked a VB during a bargain sale. That's about all that DBA will tell us as to what goes into the selection process.

I'm back again

I checked my CP under Edit Signature and there is nothing before or after the clock...very strange,

Obviously if there is nothing there, there's nothing to delete....hm?

When I corrected the clock I thought I'd deleted the others....at least they disappeared after I'd supposedly deleted them.

Stranger and stranger

Hilary

Yep - very strange indeed, 'cuz I still see the vestiges there. Oh, well ... at least you have a clock, and for the next cruise you have learned that you must use Internet Explorer to set up the C.C. ones! :)

It's a deep, dark HAL secret, usually attributed to the Upgrade Fairy. It appears that none of the things you mentioned matter except "random".

According to DutchByAssociation, getting upgraded from anything depends first of all on availability above you, and secondly "how much you paid". That is, if you book a VF guarantee and pay list price, you're more likely to get an upgrade than if you booked a VB during a bargain sale. That's about all that DBA will tell us as to what goes into the selection process.

We booked a 10 day Sea of Cortez on Ryndam "last minute discount" 3 weeks out on an NN guarantee and got an E at a very good bargain rate under $60/day. I guess it was available and we got lucky:):)

I'm back again

I checked my CP under Edit Signature and there is nothing before or after the clock...very strange,

Obviously if there is nothing there, there's nothing to delete....hm?

When I corrected the clock I thought I'd deleted the others....at least they disappeared after I'd supposedly deleted them.

Stranger and stranger

Hilary

I figured it out!! You're trying to Edit Signature using Firefox, and it is suppressing the bad strings so you don't see them. If you're interested in pursuing this still (and I think you should, or else they'll be there "forever") you can do one of two things:

(1) Edit Signature using Internet Explorer and delete the strings that I am positive you will see before and after your good clock. Both the bad strings will have something in between "11-1-2009" and "=Beach" other than "&image". Get rid of everything from for each of them

OR

(2) Edit Signature with Firefox, but Switch Editor Mode so that the bad strings will become visible. In the upper-right corner of the Edit Signature window is a square with the letter A twice, one as A and one as A. If you "hover" the cursor on that box it will say Switch Editor Mode. Click that, and you will see all the actual code making up your signature, including the two bad strings. Leaving alone the good middle string which contains "2009&image=Beach", delete the bad strings before and after that run from

I'm stubborn, and hate to let a technical problem beat me!! :D:D

Yep - very strange indeed, 'cuz I still see the vestiges there. Oh, well ... at least you have a clock, and for the next cruise you have learned that you must use Internet Explorer to set up the C.C. ones! :)

Thanks John...I'll remember that :)

Are you still there John?

Does it look right now?

I did as you said but instead of just deleting some of the HTML, I deleted the lot and tried again. :confused:

Unlike you, I'm not a techie and usually leave such stuff to my son-in-law who does this for a living...However, it's good to learn these things.

Again, Thanks

Hilary

Archived