Rome to Port - Train A Piece of Cake!

twopats

For anyone looking for transport from Rome to the Port, I would highly recommend taking the train from Termini Station. Our hotel for the 3 days prior to the sailing was the Aberdeen Hotel (most reasonable we could find) and we were able to walk to the station without a cab. The cabs charge exhorbitant prices, but the train is only 11 Euros for two! If you are physically able to lift a suitcase, the train has a low step up and you either keep the luggage in a seat behind you (which is what we did) or leave it where everyone else does at the entrance to the train. The walk to the shuttle bus at the entrance to the port is about 5 blocks and easily doable. You come out of the train station, turn right and just follow along the shore front to the entrance where a large shuttle bus is waiting and you store your luggage underneath. At the dollar exchange rate, paying 150 Euros seemed just a bit much to us!! Another recommendation is when arriving in Rome there is a shuttle service counter that will take you directly to your hotel for 40 Euros, altough you may share it with one or two couples going to different hotels. I do recommend this, as we arrived at night and to find our hotel would have been a nightmare as it was on a side street with no street lights. Trish

I was really nervous about taking the train to Civitavecchia last month since I was "responsible" for 7 people and none of us speak Italian. It was SO EASY!! (Being a control freak, I did a dry run ahead of time and scoped out the location of the tracks and the schedule board.) Our hotel was only 2 blocks from Termini station, so we didn't need a cab. Just get there a little early, find your train on the big board, look for the Bin (track) #, and that's it. If you have a car specified on your ticket, the numbers are on the doors of the cars. The only thing that could have been a problem was that our train to Civ was to leave at 12:02, and the only 12:02 train was to Torino. I had gotten there early and watched the board, and when no Civ. train showed up, I went to the Torino train and asked the info. person "Civitavecchia??" and pointed to the train...he said "yes, yes, Civitavecchia and Torino"...I showed him my ticket just to make sure..Yes yes...so it all worked out.

So everyone out there who is concerned...if I can do it, you can do it!

I have been all over these Threads trying to gain knowledge for a possibly future Cruise out of Civitavecchia on the Navigator. Would you recommend staying in Rome or going down to the Port City. I am not oppose to the Trains and actually love them even though its been ages since I was on one. Jalynn that would be my concern, in looking at the boards and not knowing if i am reading correctly. I certainly would hate to get my DH & I going in the wrong direction. :eek:

stay in Rome..close to the main station (termini)..lots of tourist class hotels...the trip to the port is about an hour by train....most of the trains to the port are on the side tracks...advice about asking is good..with a ticket you can always just point..there is also a tourist info booth where somebody should speak english...somebody posted a great link for this trip..I will try and find it and post the link

http://www.kenandpene.com/ROME%20ON%20YOUR%20OWN.htm

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=59139

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...hia+train+rome

also saw a post of mine that reminded me to suggest that you book a train that terminates at the port..through trains stop on the middle tracks and you have to carry your luggage down a set of stairs then up a set to use the tunnel under the tracks...that is if moving luggage is an issue

Capt Canuck even though we aren't booking yet, for a TA I would imagine unless we can figure a way to pack lighter, we would have 2 Carry Ons and two larger suitcases, one of the reasons I am uncertain about the Train, not for means of travel but in handling luggage. It might be more difficult for DH as he is a few years older then I. We certainly wouldn't have time to tour until after we got to the Hotel and dropped off the luggage. Thank you for your information. I did find this site.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia_train.htm

Oh DH has no Tux and brings only his suits & ties. On our Hawaii Cruise last Oct, I brought blouses I never wore on a 15 day cruise. I guess we need alot more cruises to plan my packing better. :D. I think we are dreading the long flight from Calif but what the heck, will never see these wonderful places otherwise. :)

In Rome we stayed at Hotel Cavour, 1 1/2 blocks from the Termini. Very convenient.

Taking luggage up and down stairs was a bummer, but we made it. I didn't know about the difference in booking a through train and one that terminates there. As may have been mentioned, there is no help with the luggage.

We were picked up at the airport by our tour company (at no extra charge). The driver dropped our luggage at the hotel for us while we were in the Colisseum. I slept on the plane, so a day of touring worked for me. Unfortunately some of the others didn't sleep, so they were wiped out by mid-afternoon.

Have a great time!

Archived