Redeeming Capital One Points through Another TA?

Rowan555

In the past I have used Carnival directly to book my cruises using my $500 and $1000 off rewards from Capital One. Has anyone booked with outside TA's when using these rewards? I'm feeling the push to book a cruise asap since we have the May deadline to redeem points, but Carnival isn't running any promotions right now. Well, that brings up another question - anyone know when the next big Carnival sale might be?

Thanks! We're thinking of doing the Conquest in September, and while the prices are great already, I wouldn't mind an additional discount. Just wondering if my best bet is Carnival or another TA.

Susan

In the past I have used Carnival directly to book my cruises using my $500 and $1000 off rewards from Capital One. Has anyone booked with outside TA's when using these rewards? I'm feeling the push to book a cruise asap since we have the May deadline to redeem points, but Carnival isn't running any promotions right now. Well, that brings up another question - anyone know when the next big Carnival sale might be?

Thanks! We're thinking of doing the Conquest in September, and while the prices are great already, I wouldn't mind an additional discount. Just wondering if my best bet is Carnival or another TA.

Susan

I as a rule use another TA. I used to book the cruise,call Cap1 for the redemption number and call CCL promotions 48 hours later. I was told in the last couple months here that has changed.The TA must call CCL.

SO either way you can use another TA.

Steve

You can certainly use any TA and still redeem your points. Just be forewarned that your TA's commission is based on the fare you pay AFTER the redemption is subtracted. In other words, if your total cruise cost is $1,500 and you have a $1,000 voucher, your TA gets commission based only on $500, the balance after subtracting the voucher. Therefore, if your TA is discounting your rate, he may not discount it as much as he/she normally would, as their commission is affected. My TA usually rebates back to me half of his commission when I book a cruise with him, but he rebates back a little less when I am using a Capital One redemption voucher.

The points are redeemed as cash from Carnival so TA receives commission on the total amount. I just redeemed $1000.00 certificate. My TA told me to book the cruise and get the certificate applied and then transfer to them. Once transferred we received an additional $170.00 off. It was very easy.

Cruisefreak, if you read the brochure that lists the redemption rewards, it clearly states (two-thirds of the way down, second to last paragraph on the back page) "Travel Agent commission is based on the discounted rate."

Your TA may be surprised when he receives his commission, and sees he is getting nothing on the $1000 amount that was subtracted from your fare.

Thanks Jerseygirl,

As stated before all of this was applied before transferring to TA. I also asked Carnival and they stated it was applied as cash. When I transferred the TA looked at how everything was applied then gave me his discounted rate. They have been in business along time so I am sure he is aware of what his commission is.

Cruisingfreak, perhaps your TA did as mine does. Mine does still rebate back part of his commission to me, but just not as much as he would if the fare were higher (i.e., not using the voucher). Carnival technically was correct in stating that it is applied as cash. If your cruise fare, quoted by Carnival, was $1,500 and you had a $1,000 redemption voucher, your balance would be just $500. Actually, the way my TA found out his commission was based on the discounted fare (I had missed it when I looked at the rewards brochure, because the program Carnival previously had several years ago with MBNA did not affect the TA's commission) was the first time we tried to use it when it switched to Capital One. My TA generally gets a 15% commission from Carnival. He rebates back to me half his commission, so in essence, he takes 7.5% off the going fare. When I use the vouchers, he rebates back a bit less, maybe 5% instead. When he went to apply the voucher from Capital One, they told him his commission would be reduced. He question this. He gave Carnival, as an example, what if his clients booked a cruise and the total fare (exclusing port taxes, because the voucher cannot be used to pay for port taxes) was $1,000. He asked Carnival if the $1,000 voucher were applied, thereby leaving the client with only port taxes to pay, what would his (the TA's) commission be. Carnival told him "zero." He couldn't believe that, so he asked to speak to a supervisor and was told the same thing. I think it's ridiculous that the TA's get "penalized" for their clients using their rewards, but that's how it is. When the original Carnival Mastercard (through MBNA) was in circulation, the TA's commission was based on the full fare. But with Capital One it's based on the discounted fare. Capital One and Carnival are severing their business ties, so now Carnival is coming out with a new card through Jupiter Bank called Seamiles. I'll be curious to see how this one works.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived