Where have you stayed in New Orleans?

Kitty34

I have reservations at Drury Inn which I plan on keeping but we have other friends and family that will be coming down and are interested in other good hotels.

So where have you stayed and what did you think of the place??:)

I've just booked a stay in the lower Garden District, Mackenzie Breaux House. There is a convention the weekend I'm going and if the hotel isn't maxed out, it's very $$$$$ or they are making you stay for more nights then I can be in town for. But, I'm happy with what I've booked and am totally looking forward to my visit in NO.

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco. . .excellent boutique hotel. Very interesting decor. . .a cute touch is that since they are a "pet friendly" hotel, they will lend you a goldfish for the evening to have in your room. My daughter loved it!

We stayed at the Monteleone. In the quarter, but far enough off of Bourbon street to silence the late night noise. Good food, nice rooms, pool on the roof. I booked thru one of the discounters on http://www.travelaxe.com Had to pay a little more than the lowest listed ( thru some you have to book a 2 day minimum- but I got around it by using Jazznet)

Embassy Suites. Two blocks from the pier or the trolley. We walked to the pier with our luggage. Free wonderful breakfast buffet including made to order omelets, resturant in hotel and rooms that will fit a family of five. Two double beds and a pull out sofa bed.

We stayed at the Sheraton and loved it!

By the way, and a little off topic.........ok, a lot off topic..........we found a GREAT place for breakfast or brunch......in the French Quarter, called Petunia's. It's in an old house, and the food is out of this world......... :) They have a website, which I think is Petuniasrestaurant.com.

We stayed at the Sheraton. We got it for $50.00 on Priceline. When we got there my husband decided to ask if there was a possiblity of an upgrade. I couldn't believe that he had the gall to ask for such a thing. I was even more astounded when they gave us this gigantic suite on the top floor with a gorgeous view of N.O. for no extra $'s.

Besides that the location is very good.

We got the Omni Royale Orleans on Priceline.com for $55 and it was 4-star. It's in the FQ. My husband also had the gall to ask for a free upgrade and we got a gorgeous suite with a huge jacuzzi tub right next to the bed. Awesome!!!

I have stayed at the Marriott on Canal Street, the Holiday Inn French Quarter on Royal Street 3 times and the Holiday Inn Chateau Lemoyne once. I would recommend any of those hotels. They are all in the French Quater, about 2 blocks off of Bourbon Street. Of course the Marriott is a bit more upscale than the Holiday Inn, but both Holiday Inns cost less anad are clean and convienent to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter area.

When bidding on Priceline, bid on The French Quarter.

We stayed at the Sheraton and loved it!

By the way, and a little off topic.........ok, a lot off topic..........we found a GREAT place for breakfast or brunch......in the French Quarter, called Petunia's. It's in an old house, and the food is out of this world......... :) They have a website, which I think is Petuniasrestaurant.com.

Shhhhh! We discovered Petunia's quite by accident on our first visit to New Orleans about 6 years ago. That is on our list of places to eat whenever we visit NO. We've been to NO 5 times in the last 6 years, and each time Petunia's seems to get busier and busier because more and more people know about it!

You don't want to be on bourbon street, just in the French quarter. with a little work you can get a good hotel thru priceline or hotwire. Go to http://www.betterbidding.com and 'ask away'

would u recommend a car in n.orleans for 3 days...if i stay in the french quarter...would i be taking a lot of cabs.....price of transportation?? is a bus or trolley available..

Whether or not you will need a car depends upon what you want to see/do while in NO. The FQ and aquarium are all within easy walking distance if staying in the Quarter. You can take the street car to Audubon park and zoo area from Canal St. You can also go to City Park & museum by street car now, too. Check out http://nola.com/visitor/ for helpful information, and there is also a printable map at this site. Locals use this site, especially the best restaurant & bar guides: http://nola.com/dining/t-p/?/dining/dgfall04/index.html as well as other entertainment guides on the site.

Don't rule out staying on Bourbon. A balcony room at the beautiful Royal Sonesta on Bourbon can be a romantic and/or fun time in the quarter.

FYI: One airport shuttle site: www.airportshuttleneworleans.com

Another one stop web site for great information is http://www.louisianatravel.com/

Go to a Visitor Center in/near the quarter when you first get there and pick up the free New Olreans fold out map. You will find it extremely beneficial to have one.

Have fun! :p

The Hilton is actually connected to a mall that connects with the cruise ship terminal. Make sure you reserve at the Hilton Riverside. Prices vary depending on when you go. We have also stayed at a lovely small hotel called Hotel Villa Convento. This place is across from a fabulous french bakery in the french quarter. The prices are very reasonable any time of year vs the Hilton only at certain times. If you will have a car a hotel that offers free parking right at the hotel is Le Richeliu. Right in the french quarter in a safe area. We go every year since I have family there.

Laura

The Hilton is near the aquarium and the foot of Canal St.--right on the river, at 2 Poydras St. It is connected to the Riverwalk (a mall) but you still have to go past the N.O. Convention Center before you reach the Julia St cruise embarkation area. Try putting in the Hilton's address at mapquest.com to see where it is in relation to the Julia St. port.

For more information on hotels near the port of New Orleans, try the new orleans hotel....i am confused thread. Good luck! :)

Archived