Snorkeling Location for Beginner Please!

moondoggie

My DS and I are cruising next month, and she wants to snorkel--she is a beginner. I am experienced, and usually join a charter day sail which includes great snorkeling, but I know she is not keen on the sailboat aspect, so this is not an option.

We'd like your recommendations for a beach or non-ship's excursion where we can enjoy good snorkelling on St Thomas or St John. I'm not wild about Coki beach, but that may be our only option.

We'd consider an excursion with minimal sailing also.

Thanks!

I would recommend St. John. It is wonderful for snorkeling and you can snorkel right from the beach which is great for a beginner. I would recommend a vest for a beginner, unless they are a very strong swimmer. The snorkel vest provides a bit more security. :)

On St. Thomas you can try Sapphire or Secret Harbor. Both offer good near shore snorkeling. At Sapphire you can enter just after the small rock that sticks out in the sand just past the watersports booth area and then swim toward the shallow rocky area and then follow along that shallow rocky area around toward the point - snorkeling along the way. The shallow rocky ledge is quite shallow and you shouldn't try to swim over it as it gets very very shallow in several areas, bumping into it could result in you getting stratches and also your touch or fins/feet accidentally kicking it could destory growing coral and small organisms growing on the shallow rocks. Definately snorkel around it though and look under the ledges - usually various schools of fishing hanging out. As you head out toward the point it gets deeper and deeper and right at the point there is a current. Also at Sapphire you can snorkel on the left side when facing the water (opposite side to the point). Walk to the end of Sapphire beach (left side when facing the water... walk to where there is a small/short wall) and then enter and snorkel around toward the beach on the other side of the wall.

At Secret Harbor you can snorkel on both sides along the rocks, ok snorkeling along the rocks more so on the right side when facing the water & when the water is calm. And in the middle just past and not far from the floating swim raft there is good snorkeling.

--Islander

Archived