When do you know if no Coco Cay stop?

I think I can advise you on this one. We have gone to Co Co Cay a few times and more than a few times saw her only from the deck of the ship. We actually call her the Mythical Island. Most of the times we have been on sailings where its been cancelled when we were there right off the island. One time they actually brought over the first tender from the island along side the ship and tried to load on the food as the provisions go over first thing in the morning quite early. They couldn't even get that one tender along side safely. That was when they cancelled it. About this time last year they actually had a nice day with good weather. Everything was going along just fine and about 2:00 PM in the afternoon a storm blew in. This happens down here frequently. They had a great many people still on the island that were unable to be returned to the ship until the wee hours of the next mornng like 4:00 AM. They had to send the tenders over with blankets and provisions but the weather from what we read in the paper was too rough to transport the people safely. If the weather is calm the night before the chances are that you will get ashore. If the winds are up and the water choppy I'd just sleep in and see what happens.!!

We just returned (last night) from a 7-day on the Radiance. We were scheduled to stop last Monday at Coco Cay. The captain announced during dinner (main seating) Sunday night that we would not be able to tender to Coco Cay the next morning. Instead, we went to San Juan Tuesday. We had from noon - 11:00 p.m. in Puerto Rico.

I was in CocoCay a few years only - the only time I was there. But I'm hoping to go back on January 19th. Hope the force is with us.

Anyhow, the last time I was there, we went ashore, snorkled all I could handle, ate all I could, then went for a walk. Thought I'd come back to the beach and lie around for a while, however there was no one on the beach. I was a little surprised. Well, as it turned out, they had been shuttling everyone back to the ship as "a storm was on its way".

Well, when we got back to the ship, there was a massive party going on deck. A few free drinks, games & dancing. We had such a great time that afternoon. Then to top it all off, the Captain announced that all excursion fees for the day would be fully refunded. (Did you read the part where I said I had already done all the snorkling I could handle?).

Basically, I would suggest that you don't base you whole choice for a cruise on one destination point, as you may not make it there. But choose your cruiseline carefully. Some take better care of you if you don't end up where you should.

Happy Sailing . . .

6 more sleeps and we're on the Majesty.

1 sleep after that and we're on the Voyager!!!

Archived