HAL excursions for Costa Rica

momofmeg

I have posted this on the ports of call board-but also wanted to know from you who have cruised HAL specifically.

We are looking at 2 excursions-(1) Caribbean Train Eco Cruise and Countryside, and (2) the Torutguero Canal.

The Eco train is less, but it also goes to the Torutguero canal-anyone know why? Is the boat uncovered? We know it is covered for the second excursion, the Torutguero tour. I can't take the direct sun well (meds)-but as long as there is a lot of shade, I am fine with a hat. I can take the sun in small doses. Would one of the tours be better for me than the other?

My hubby loves birds and wildlife-which tour will show us more wildlife?

Walking is no problem for me-I walk fine.

Does HAL offer the Verugo Rain Forest Tour with the tree-top tram? My wife and I took that in April and really enjoyed the entire excursion. Lots of wildlife in the rain forest and we saw an abundance of howler monkeys, birds, iguanas and butterflies. The botanists at the Eco-Lab there even showed us a new species of tree frog one of them had just discovered that morning.

That would be my recommendation, anyway.

I took the train tour last yr. It was fun tons of wildlife and the boats are covered. Would do it again

How long was the train ride? How long was the boat ride? Hubby want to know is you saw Toucans? ( a type of birds) did you have to ride a bus to return to ship-how long a bus ride if you did?

Hello and congrats on a great cruise, we were here in March of this year and loved it. We did do the Eco-train and canal. We enjoyed most of it. You first take a bus(very nice bus with A/C) To the Dole banana plantation, was better than I thought it would be, then you take the bus to a very old train, they try to find monkeys and sloths and bats, when they did the train would stop and and go very slow so all could see. Was good but was very warm on the train and no bathrooms. Then back on bus to the canals, yes you are covered, might need a hat just to be on the safe side. This portion of the trip was my favorite, saw lots of birds (sorry no Toucans) saw monkeys, lizards, bats & sloths, was just alot of fun. Then you get an opportunity to buy local coffee and others items, you will also get some free juices and fruit and other items here as well to eat. Then back on the bus to take you back to the cruise ship. They had a great little open market to buy lots of local arts & crafts and more coffee just off the pier. Well worth it, very nice folks here. We also had a great tour guide thru the whole trip, he was great!!!!

Here are a few pics of the train one outside of course and the other was inside. The boat from inside and out as well. In regards to times on the bus, they can range from about 30 minutes to the banana plantation, to another 20 mintues to the train and then another 20 mintues back to the ship. The train trip lasted about 30-40 minutes as did the boat ride. Have a great time!!!

DSC00588.jpg.86884d2e02b64df4882153fae63fde08.jpg

DSCF1518.jpg.bb765c21a8115704c0023cd54786271c.jpg

DSCF1545.jpg.bc9def1d1319c7b5bb789c49dcd19468.jpg

DSC00583.jpg.2be97f026d805d7f4c1fb90e10162911.jpg

Hello and congrats on a great cruise, we were here in March of this year and loved it. We did do the Eco-train and canal. We enjoyed most of it. You first take a bus(very nice bus with A/C) To the Dole banana plantation, was better than I thought it would be, then you take the bus to a very old train, they try to find monkeys and sloths and bats, when they did the train would stop and and go very slow so all could see. Was good but was very warm on the train and no bathrooms. Then back on bus to the canals, yes you are covered, might need a hat just to be on the safe side. This portion of the trip was my favorite, saw lots of birds (sorry no Toucans) saw monkeys, lizards, bats & sloths, was just alot of fun. Then you get an opportunity to buy local coffee and others items, you will also get some free juices and fruit and other items here as well to eat. Then back on the bus to take you back to the cruise ship. They had a great little open market to buy lots of local arts & crafts and more coffee just of the pier. Well worth it, very nice folks here. We also had a great tour guide thru the whole trip, he was great!!!!

Here are a few pics of the train one outside of course and the other was inside. The boat from inside and out as well. Have a great time!!!

Thanks for the pictures. Can you estimate how long the train ride was and how long is the boat ride?

My only question now for those who did the other tour-is the boat ride longer if we just do the Torutguero canal, and would we have a better chance to see Toucans?

I know the eco tour is 4 and a half hours-the Torutguero canal tour is 4 hours. Since the canal tour does not go to the banana plantation, I am thinking possibly the boat ride is longer. Surely it takes more than 30 minutes for the train ride and banana plantation?

Thanks for the pictures. Can you estimate how long the train ride was and how long is the boat ride?

My only question now for those who did the other tour-is the boat ride longer if we just do the Torutguero canal, and would we have a better chance to see Toucans?

I know the eco tour is 4 and a half hours-the Torutguero canal tour is 4 hours. Since the canal tour does not go to the banana plantation, I am thinking possibly the boat ride is longer. Surely it takes more than 30 minutes for the train ride and banana plantation?

surely it did take about 30 minutes at the banana plantation and spoke to my other half and they said about 60 minutes for both the train and the boat, there was also time where I mentioned your having a snack and your able to buy local coffee and arts, that was about another 30-40 minutes, suffice it to say I really did not keep time that well as I was just really enjoying myself and basically lost track of time. Our friends did take just the canal tour and they were on the canals much longer, not sure exactly how long, but they did enjoy it very much.

surely it did take about 30 minutes at the banana plantation and spoke to my other half and they said about 60 minutes for both the train and the boat, there was also time where I mentioned your having a snack and your able to buy local coffee and arts, that was about another 30-40 minutes, suffice it to say I really did not keep time that well as I was just really enjoying myself and basically lost track of time. Our friends did take just the canal tour and they were on the canals much longer, not sure exactly how long, but they did enjoy it very much.

Thanks-I guess now-we need to find out how long the boat ride is on the other excursion-that is the deciding factor-my hubby really wants to see those Toucans. I like the idea of the train ride and banana plantation though.

Archived