monkeys

mdeane

Mr. Barbados, could you please tell me about the green monkeys and how one could best see them. I am a great animal lover and would love to be near them. Is it possible?? Also I am sure you have been asked this many times but I cannot find a thread on it. With only one day in BArbados and wanting to see as much as possible of the beautiful island, what would you suggest we do? Is there a private guide we could hire that you would recommend??? Many thanks.

Mr. Barbados, could you please tell me about the green monkeys and how one could best see them. I am a great animal lover and would love to be near them. Is it possible?? Also I am sure you have been asked this many times but I cannot find a thread on it. With only one day in BArbados and wanting to see as much as possible of the beautiful island, what would you suggest we do? Is there a private guide we could hire that you would recommend??? Many thanks.

Hi Mdeane,

I'm just up the road from you in Raleigh. I've been to Barbados twice before. Each time we saw plenty of Green Monkeys. They are all over Welchman's Gully, and are quite mischievous. Don't leave anything on the ground that you don't want to have to fetch from a tree later. We've seen them there around noon or so. Also, we've always seen guys on the road with baby monkeys on leashes that they will let you hold/photograph for a few dollars (2-$5).

We did the Best of Barbados tour with Glory Tours which included a trip to the Wildlife Preserve. There were lots of Green Monkeys to watch and some were quite playful with folks walking around. I'd highly recommend this tour www.glorytours.org

Harrisons Cave, Wildlife Preserve, driving through Bathsheba with picture stops, lunch at a local flavored place, snorkeling, glass bottom boat ride, and swimming with turtles. Can't beat this excursion..... We loved this island!!!

Thanks for all the replys. I would not live to see them on leashes but just hope they are being cared for well. My heart is just too soft as far as animals are concerned. We leave Sat. and will be in Barbados so I hope to be near them if at all possible. I have a driver hired so I do hope he will know when to go there.

We went during Christmas-by ouselves by taxi to the wildlife preserve. $50 from the ship round trip -driver waited-we spent about 1 1/2 hours from 10 am to 11:30 No one there except the animals-it was great-plenty of monkeys ,turtles,fawns,pelicans,crocs etc---Better on your oun than on tour.

We have hired private drivers for the days in port and hope to go where ever we want to see. We are just not tour people and like to move at our own pace. Hope this works. We leave for PR on Fri. I'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

We are back last night from our cruise (BOO HOO). It was a fabulous cruise on the Serenade but we do prefer the Voyager class better. That is another story. We had a driver in Barbados and told him what we wanted to see and do. He took me right to a house where they had 3 monkeys living with them. I got to hold and feed the baby and it was a wonderful experience. I have lots of pictures and memories. Our driver was Cameron Reid and he was very good. I would recommend him highly. He knows the island well.

We did not see the monkeys in the wild because we also wanted to snorkel and time was limited.

Robin G

I too recommend finding your own personal cab driver. We spent a wonderful day with Christopher and he took us wherever we wanted to go..including his own house. We went to the wildlife preserve and saw the green monkey but I was thrilled to death to see and have my picture taken with, the ranchers Border Collie. We rescue BC's and have 5 of them. By the time we ran into this sweet little guy I was sufficiently homesick for my dogs. It made my day.

We paid our Cabby $120 US. That was a lot but it's what we felt was fair in comparison to a tour, plus we felt we were helping him out. Others had cabby's take them around for about $75 for the whole day.

This is a very safe island, you don't have to worry about who you can trust like some other islands. You don't have to worry about being offered drugs either...they are very serious about people who commit crimes.

Have a wonderful time! I hope you fall in love with it like we did.

• 2 weeks later...

pholter........omg..awesome pics.........we are headed on the destiny april 3rd......how did u like that trip/ship? this will be our 8th cruise........its just me-the mom and my 2 teen girls.........the wildlife preserve..is it worth it? seems that alot of people say that they dont get to see the monkeys.........is it set up like a zoo....as i dont want to do that........we were in barbados 11 months ago...we did the snorkel trip....the best snorkel trip i have ever gone on...........anyway....how much is the best of barbados tour...sounds like alot in one day......is it "rushed" sorry for all the questions......just trying to find a great tour. by the way...how was dominica? we are looking to do the "wacky" roller park..............and after seeing your pics of maegans cay......im headed there..........what is there to do at the cay? thank you shelly

Archived