Liberty in Cuba?

RadioRay

... the Liberty of the Seas is apparently very close to Cuba. N 22°18', W 077°42' Maybe less than 10 miles according to the scale. Clearly not in International Waters.

... maybe they're doing some sort of visit to prepare for the opening of Cuba to the US market? Like a special PR tour? Is this how rumors get started? :D

Ray

How did the first Royal Caribbean and other cruise ship lines start to visit

Russia and former Soviet satellite countries such as Latvia, Estonia and

Lithuania? I am sure there are parallels to be drawn in how the business

began to be established there as to how it will be established in Cuba.

However Cuba presents a lot of unique challenges.

There are several hurdles to be overcome. RCI is an American-based corporation, even though all the ships are foreign registry. When Cuba became Communist Fidel nationalized the assets of American corporations soon afterward. Corporations have never received payment reparations for the assets that were taken at that time. IMHO settlements

would have to be negotiated for the property seized before any tourist trade could be open to American cruise lines.

In addition diplomatic talks concerning human rights abuses in Cuba would have to take place before any serious trade discussions could take place.

Although U.S. policy has taken a far less hard line recently there remains much to be done before free trade can be openly established.

I must agree with other cruisers that I would love to go to Cuba on a cruise I am of age to live thru the Cuban Missle Crisis,have lived in Miami. I personally feel that opening the doors to Cuba and cuba opening the doors to the US is way overdue.:D

Archived